By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will this TV be ok for gaming?

Yeah no one replied on AV Forums and it's sunk down to page 4 now so I doubt anyone will. This place gets responses and most of them are helpful! Anyone asking for help over there tends to get no or very few replies.

Unfortunately I can't stick with what I have as it's unwatchable. It's emitting a high pitched whistle which is audible no matter how high I turn up the volume.

Why do you say steer clear? The consensus seems to be that it's not bad for the (rip-off UK) price.

If there's going to be a substantial price drop on LCD TVs in the next few months then I'll do without a TV for a bit but otherwise I'm going to buy as soon as I can scrape £300 together.

Around the Network

I say steer clear because my experiences with off-brand TV's are less than positive. That is not to say it's not a good TV, it may very well be decent for the price. However, in the event of any sort of issue with it i'd think that you would have a hell of a time getting it warrantied. I'd personally opt to wait choosing between that tv and no tv, even if that meant no gaming in the interim.

if i were you i'd have a look at some dual-use monitors
(can be used a computer monitor and for console gaming, or for watching tv). if i were on a budget i'd get something like this:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=320-5647

has vga, dvi, s-video, component and composite inputs among others.
 i'm not sure what is available that is similar in europe, though.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Does it have a tuner in it? This TV has integrated Freeview.

I've had a reply from the company and the response time is 8ms.

On AV forums they were saying that there are actually very few factories making LCD TVs so the internals of a no-name set will be the same as the internals of one of the high-priced brands. The only difference is the casing they put it in and the brand name they stick on it. Obviously that's not the case for very high end stuff as it's only available branded. It's the same with food you buy in supermarkets.

IMO, brands generally mean very little. Companies like Sony charge inflated prices even after the root kit and exploding laptop battery fiascos demonstrated that they're on the same level as any other company. I would never pay more for a brand, I go on specs and other people's experiences of the particular product.

I appreciate this TV's specs aren't fantastic but they are the best I can afford, it's suitable for gaming and it has built-in Freeview. That's all I need really, it's not like I have or plan on getting Blu Ray or Sky HD.

If you want something in the 30"-odd range there's absolutely no reason to get an LCD. Since people don't know how awesome they are anymore, you can get a CRT HD cheaper than the price of this. CRTs have basically unnoticeable lag even when displays resolutions outside of their native, and the picture on CRTs still isn't matched by all these new technologies they're selling to the masses.

Plus CRTs look fantastic displaying 480i/p stuff, unlike LCD.

Aaaand in this TV in particular, 1080p is ridiculous. You literally can't tell 720p/1080p apart until you get over 50" or so. You're throwing $$ down the crapper right there.

HDTV's are expensive and overrated remember.
The cost of 3 PS3's = The cost of a 1080P LCD 40" Sony Bravia HD TV

Around the Network
GhaleonUnlimited said:

If you want something in the 30"-odd range there's absolutely no reason to get an LCD. Since people don't know how awesome they are anymore, you can get a CRT HD cheaper than the price of this. CRTs have basically unnoticeable lag even when displays resolutions outside of their native, and the picture on CRTs still isn't matched by all these new technologies they're selling to the masses.

Plus CRTs look fantastic displaying 480i/p stuff, unlike LCD.

Aaaand in this TV in particular, 1080p is ridiculous. You literally can't tell 720p/1080p apart until you get over 50" or so. You're throwing $$ down the crapper right there.

This TV is 720p not 1080p. It can input 1080p which a lot of supposedly hi def TVs cannot including a lot of TVs displaying the "HD Ready" sticker!

I want a flat panel as my current CRT is taking up far too much room as is too heavy to move on my own. It's a hefty widescreen thing.

CRT TVs (even HD) are actually very difficult to get hold of over here now unless you want a very small one. They're also just as if not more expensive than LCD TVs. Amazon UK has one HD CRT TV listed and it's not currently available even on the marketplace. Currys is a big UK retailer and this is their entire stock of anything "CRT" - a whole 4 items.

In the UK HD is flat panel.

Page1

JVC

AA32T5BK

32" Pure Flat Widescreen Standard CRT TV
Web Exclusive

£199.99

Offer not available in-store

monthly product support

£3.99

Standard Delivery Free

Home Delivery
subject to availability

Thomson

32WH403S

32" 100Hz Pureflat Widescreen TV
Currys Price

£299.99

monthly product support

£3.99

Standard Delivery Free

Home Delivery
subject to availability

Thomson

32WM403

32" 100Hz Pureflat Widescreen TV
Currys Price

£299.99

monthly product support

£4.49

Standard Delivery Free

Home Delivery
subject to availability

AOC

CRT 17

17" CRT MONITOR
Web Exclusive

£59.99

Offer not available in-store

Standard Delivery £6.99

Out of Stock

Page1

stephen700 said:
Get a smaller monitor with the full 1080P - if that is all you can afford.
If you want to watch Blu-ray or Hd-Dvd or 1080i off-air the full 1080p monitor is the way to go - also 1080P makes a very good computer monitor for desktop publishing - cad , viewing documents etc a 720 P monitor will be crap for this.
1080P is well worth the extra cost or going to a smaller size for they cost more but consider you get over 2* the number of pixels with the 1080P and Vision is the most powerfull sense so do your eyes a favour get 1080P if you can.

What the hell ? Why you recommend a TV smaller than 32'' for 1080p (I doubt that there is any model anyway lol)

IMO 720p it's perfect for 32'' TVs and under.

To notice any difference between 720p and 1080p you need a bigger TV. Get at least a 37'' if you want 1080p otherwise stick with 720p.

Okay, I'm going to shoot down the wannabe technogeeks in this thread and tell you that TV is absolutely fine for gaming. These kids that are saying it won't be are either kids with parents that buy everything for them, or people with enormously wrong priorities in life. And they're all people who are buying into the hype around 1080p.

First off, for a TV that size, you wouldn't notice a difference between one that displays 720p and one that displays 1080p. I guarantee it. At that size of a screen, the difference in resolution is just impossible to actually notice. Actually, 480p is more than acceptable for a TV that size, even. 720p is optimal, and 1080p is overkill and entirely unnecessary.

Second, I have a 32 inch SDTV that I play my games on, and they look fantastic. Granted, I'd love to upgrade to an EDTV (or, if I REALLY had money to blow, an HDTV at 40 inches or more), but that's not economically logical. There are a million things that I should spend that money on instead, so it's pretty much foolish for me to put the money down on something like that. With that said, a 32-inch HDTV will be wonderful.

As for other things, I like the number of inputs that TV has. You've got a lot of choices. That's good. As for your sound, yeah, it doesn't have the greatest sound available, but seriously, no TV's going to be able to put out fantastic sound anyways, and an acceptable stereo system isn't even going to cost that much anyhow. Mine, I paid virtually nothing for, and it's one of the best-sounding systems that anybody I know has (was given most of the speakers (from a couple different people) and the stereo itself, bought the center-channel speakers for like $40). Point is, if you're going for a good entertainment set, you need to remember to get a stereo, because no TV sounds that fantastic anyways.

Your TV is far from the top of the line, but it's still a really good set and most definitely worthy of videogaming. Go for it.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Resolution vs distance and size.

My 24inch 1080p dell monitor i can easily tell the diff between 1080p and lower resolution upto 1.5 meters away.  2 meters back i would not easily tell the difference between 1080p and 720p BUT it's more fun to play close to the screen where you have greater field of view.

Note PC gamers usually sit under 1 meter from the screen and 1080P is a big benefit for this style of gaming even a 15.4 inch 1080p laptop screen 1080p is not too high if you are under 60cm away.

Over 3 meters from the screen you wont easily pick 1080p from 720p with a 32 inch screen - there are charts and formula you can use to work it out - how far back will you be sitting ????.

A roughly view distance vs size for 1080p .6m=15.4 inch 1.5m=24inch   2m= 32inch  3m=40 inch  4m~48inch 5m=60inch   

PS3 number 1 fan

Remember HDTV lag come from upscaling. So if you want to play ps3 and 360 games on this HDTV since most  games run at 720p then you should have no problem with lag. (with wii,ps2 or older you may experience lag) Some HDTV can upscale better than others as well as some upscale a little faster. Mostly good upscalers are design with DVD movies in mind where exact timing isn't an issue unlike games like GH3.

Some HDTV like Sharp Aquos has a "game mode" option where it will upscale as fast as possible yet of course doesn't try to smooth out those "double pixels" so the image can be a little rough. Since all but CRT HDTV have fixed pixels in order to upscale the image to it's native resolution some pixels have to be double up while others are not. HDTV tries (as well as upscale DVD players) to blend in these double pixels so they are not as noticeable which improves the image quality but requires time to process the image.