By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony's Q4 FY2006 Earnings Announcement

Yeah either way still. Btw PSP shipments dropping 40% is a bit telling considering the DS shipments exploded at the same time. At least their software shipments went up.

Around the Network
shams said:
What I find interesting: - overall group (operating) income down almost 70% - net income from affiliated companies up 500% (i.e. Sony Ericsson, Sony BMG, etc..) Guess the games division was dragging down the rest of Sony, while the other companies remain highly profitable. No forecasts (yet?) for console shipments for FY2008.

http://www.onelocalnews.com/howelltimesandtranscript/stories/index.php?action=fullnews&id=110776

Sony says they expect to ship 11 million PS3s for fiscal 07.  Sounds completely crazy considering they've only sold 3 million in 6 months and the number will be miniscule for the first quarter of fiscal 07. 

Maybe they asked Microsoft how to ship systems without actually selling them. ;>

I think this kills the price drop rumors

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Effectively Sony is forecasting that the PS3 will still be in 3rd place by early 2008. Seems like they have a lot of confidence in the PS2 if they think they can afford that.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

Around the Network

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16171&ncid=AOLGAM000500000000016 "Sony today revealed that through the fiscal year ended March 31, the company shipped about 5.5 million PlayStation 3 units and sold around 3.6 million of those."

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

So, is Sony stuffing the channel like Microsoft? Or are they holding PS3's in warehouses somewhere, waiting for retailers to buy them? Cause their 3.6 million sold for the fiscal year seems rather ... impossible ... considering they are pushing barely 3.3 million currently? Or is 3.6 million the amount sold to the retailers? And close to 2 million consoles are being held somewhere? *confusion*

3.6 is probably sold to retailers, remember this is over 6 weeks ago. So yea there could be 2M sitting around in Sony warehouses or in transit to retailers or from factories or what have you.

Yup, I'd say 3.6 million sold to retail and 1.9 million idling in Sony warehouses. If those are the numbers by March 31, wasn't that Sony guy flat out lying last month when he excused NPD's recent PS3 numbers with shortages?

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

DKII said:
3.6 is probably sold to retailers, remember this is over 6 weeks ago. So yea there could be 2M sitting around in Sony warehouses or in transit to retailers or from factories or what have you.

yeah, I got fooled by that "shipped" vs "sold" thing... Dammit!!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)