By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Safe to say the WiiU is worst selling Nintendo home console of all time.

JRPGfan said:
Angelv577 said:
Yeah, it's almost safe to say that unless something magical happen. It may hit 20million though.

I actually dont think it will hit 20million.

late 2016 or early 2017 new consol release from Nintendo, they drop support for wii u.... wii u sales drop like a rock.

I think it would depends of what NX means.  Some are predicting it's a new console but it could also be a handheld.

Around the Network

But But But Gamecube!!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

It's technically not impossible for things to turn around... But yeah, it's a pretty safe bet.

isnt nintendo mini worse

Angelv577 said:

I think it would depends of what NX means.  Some are predicting it's a new console but it could also be a handheld.

My theory is its both. Same games, running on both a consol and a handheld, with varying resolutions (much lower for the handhelds).

Which then results in Wii U sales crashing.

Around the Network

Well, i think that we already know this... any way, i predict that by 2016 the gap will decrease.
GC sales after 2004:
2005: 2,750,000
2006: 1,100,000
2007: 200,000

Wii U in 2016 - 2018 will sell better than this imo.

yvanjean said:
zorg1000 said:
I'm not sure why this is even a topic anymore, this has been clear to most people for quite some time now.

I expect Nintendo to drop the RRSP of WiiU to $249.99 last holiday and kick start some sales of the WiiU. Then Holiday 2015 and 2016 hit the market with a $199.99 RRSP that would of really gave them a price advantage over the competiton. 

Instead we're in May 2015 and WiiU is selling at 50$ less then a massively supperior Xbox one. There still no game that really selling the expensive somewhat useless gamepad.

Nintendo has taken the profit over market share approach. Look at GameCube, 2 price cuts in 2 years and a $99 price tag, it still couldn't sell over 22 million.

Instead of fighting a battle that can't be won, Nintendo has decided to try making as much money as possible while pleasing fans by pumping out a handful of 1st/2nd party exclusives each year.

I think a price cut will happen in September, a $249.99 Mario Maker bundle. Perhaps another cut to $199.99 in May 2017 followed by its successor releasing in November 2017.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

We still have Zelda, the inevitable Animal Crossing U (which will move a lot of consoles, especially in Japan) Maybe Metroid Wii U and who knows what else. Wait until after E3 to really decide if it will hit 20m or not. My prediction is it will sell more than GC but not by much.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

JRPGfan said:
Angelv577 said:

My theory is its both. Same games, running on both a consol and a handheld, with varying resolutions (much lower for the handhelds).

Which then results in Wii U sales crashing.

If it's something like that, the sales will definitely drop like a rock.  I don't see Nintendo dropping Wii U prices significantly, at least not below $200.

The system has sold terribly but Nintendo can fall back on Amiibos and games to break even. Its a shame really, can you imagine all the money Nintendo would have made off Amiibo if the system was selling better. I just hope that they roll out NX and their next console with a better strategy and appropriate pricing.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine