By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Whats the possible Sony reaction to Microsoft XBOX 360 price cut in Europe?

Sony is doing reasonably well in Europe... and Europe is the only region where its prospects are good and i m sure can afford to loose it. So with the recent price cut by MS i think Sony needs to do something... they can't just sit and wait and see how the market react to the price cut... especially when a title like GTA IV is about to launch in a month. If they loose a momentum once, its really hard to capture as they have seen in Japan and NA. So Sony has possibly three options 1) Cut the price across all SKUs -- best option 2) Launch a new bundle with deeper discounts ( this way they get some softwares sales too, but if the end price remains double the XBOX may be people will not buy it much and the it may not effect as much as possible) -- so a bit risky 3) Launch a new SKU at lower price with like 30 GB HDD and much lower price... -- It will take sometime to get this out.. so it might be a bit too late by then So wots your opinion... i think Sony is going to take 2nd option... but i wish they go for the first.

Around the Network

As long as sony continues to outsell the much cheaper Xbox 360, I dont see them cutting the price anytime soon.

mM

probably will do nothing and wait for E3 for maximum announcement exposure

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

I dunno...80 pounds, that's quite the drop. GT5P bundle or not...that's a really good drop. Sony needs to react to this quickly if they don't want to lose their momentum like Noobie said.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

Around the Network

4) Do nothing. See what happens.

PSN ID: TheSimkin

GamerTag: TheSimkin

WII friend Code: 0002 7972 4522 2681

Lone_Canis_Lupus said:
I dunno...80 pounds, that's quite the drop. GT5P bundle or not...that's a really good drop. Sony needs to react to this quickly if they don't want to lose their momentum like Noobie said.

Personally I don't see any change in the current standing after the price-cut. Xbox was already lower than PS3 in price and now the Arcade version is lower than Wii.

It might get some impluse buys, but I don't see it jumping by too much.

I see Xbox gets about 10% boost consistently in sales, while PS3 and Wii's numbers remain unchanged.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:

How can people imagine that Sony can cut the PS3 price again when they're already losing so much money on each console...

kuraobi said:
How can people imagine that Sony can cut the PS3 price again when they're already losing so much money on each console...

How much are they losing on each console?

When was your online last time? They pulled it even a long time ago.

selnor
Episode 2: