By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mobile gaming will be a $45B market by 2018, leaving console gaming way behind

I highly doubt that console gaming will completely crash, but mobile gaming should affect console sales to an extent

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
Acevil said:
Shackkobe said:

Let us learn from history.

There is money to be made from casuals, but the best place for any gaming company is with the hardcore.

Millions buying Angry Birds isn't the same as millions buying Destiny. One is a casual time waster the other is a sophisticated, hardcore delight.

One has lasting appeal, the other doesn't. Don't believe me? Ask Nintendo.

You mean the company that in large has made the most money off gaming, that Nintendo? The company that really only had two years of losses ever, but still not comporable to the other companies losses.

I don't like mobile market, but to act like it has no threat. The rising cost/return of console development is apparant more than ever (Games being stripped of content and sold back to you as season pass dlc, making the core game to be $90-110), that is why smaller companies have wide variety of releases on almost everything and not just one platform (and guess what they release on tablets/handhelds as well), because unless the big three is willing to handle publishing or offer monetary incentives (this may come in many forms), console gaming industry isn't as healthy by itself. 

Both markets need to co-exist and companies cannot do just console gaming, or companies like Level-5, Capcom, Square Enix, Activision-Blizzard, EA will become less and less and less. 

Edit: I can see that I might have misread your last sentence intention. However the reverse side of Nintendo being successful because of lasting appeal, is they themselves have to and are going to embrace mobile gaming to be as successful and relevant. 

We have a tendancy to be hasty and to make quick assumptions.

"There is money to be made from casuals, but the best place for any gaming company is with the hardcore."

That was the essence of what I wrote.

But I'm happy you at least partially acknowledged your haste. And for that I am thankful.

Even though there's probably nothing inherently threatening about the news, I still find it unsettling. But I think most people are right in that the demographics for the mobile and console/PC industry are very different. Hopefully, the latter aren't going anywhere soon.

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

I really hope the phone marked doesn't ruin gaming, cause i would not trade PC/Console experience for Phone gaming. The problem with the corporation marked is that corporation pursues money lol

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

It's not going to grow forever. We've already just about reached market saturation with smart phones, so looking at past growth and thinking that means constant future growth isn't too logical. But hey, maybe the numbers are right up to 2018 and it will bottom out after that.