By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mobile gaming will be a $45B market by 2018, leaving console gaming way behind

Mobile gaming won't die however I believe that its going to "crash" comparatively speaking compared to its peak years.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

Around the Network

Both markets can co-exist. The thing with mobile is that for every title that breaks records, thousands are forgotten (for sheer competition or cheap games). If you know your audience, advertise your product and invest properly to the demand, a PC-console title can be a safer bet than a mobile one.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

JRPGfan said:
Dr.Vita said:
I want mobile gaming to die...

Either that or it has to start getting alot more like consol games in quality.

Phones can play movies, so I think they are both the same quality. So they will be about the same in 2018, but seriously, I don't like mobile pricing structure, but they are a lot of decent games, and truthfully, it is a better indie machine than both handhelds can even imagine.

to bad it doesnt show microsoft sony and Nintendo seperately

Keep those endless runners to yourself google. I am happy with my niche market. This fad will fall faster.

Around the Network

Most of the people who play mobile games never played on consoles and pc before anyways.

Let us learn from history.

There is money to be made from casuals, but the best place for any gaming company is with the hardcore.

Millions buying Angry Birds isn't the same as millions buying Destiny. One is a casual time waster the other is a sophisticated, hardcore delight.

One has lasting appeal, the other doesn't. Don't believe me? Ask Nintendo.

I'm sorry (actually im not. And you shouldn't be either) mobile games are not a threat to home consoles.

A major caveat that is often overlooked when these kinds of articles are written is the hundreds of millions worth of an install base these games are catered to. When you have that kind of market it becomes obvious that revenue is going to be as equally massive. How does this affect us though? In the current climate I just don't see the mobile sector offering any deep experiences as far as gaming goes.

Shackkobe said:

Let us learn from history.

There is money to be made from casuals, but the best place for any gaming company is with the hardcore.

Millions buying Angry Birds isn't the same as millions buying Destiny. One is a casual time waster the other is a sophisticated, hardcore delight.

One has lasting appeal, the other doesn't. Don't believe me? Ask Nintendo.

You mean the company that in large has made the most money off gaming, that Nintendo? The company that really only had two years of losses ever, but still not comporable to the other companies losses.

I don't like mobile market, but to act like it has no threat. The rising cost/return of console development is apparant more than ever (Games being stripped of content and sold back to you as season pass dlc, making the core game to be $90-110), that is why smaller companies have wide variety of releases on almost everything and not just one platform (and guess what they release on tablets/handhelds as well), because unless the big three is willing to handle publishing or offer monetary incentives (this may come in many forms), console gaming industry isn't as healthy by itself. 

Both markets need to co-exist and companies cannot do just console gaming, or companies like Level-5, Capcom, Square Enix, Activision-Blizzard, EA will become less and less and less. 

Edit: I can see that I might have misread your last sentence intention. However the reverse side of Nintendo being successful because of lasting appeal, is they themselves have to and are going to embrace mobile gaming to be as successful and relevant. 

I play mobile to waste time, but console to enjoy my time

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.