By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is so hard for Wii U sell 20,000,000?

Wii U to sell 20,000,000 ?

No way for sell less. 29 5.82%

i will be shocked if will sell less... 38 7.63%

50 / 50 chance 91 18.27%

hardly, but not impossible 158 31.73%

not a chance. 182 36.55%

Total:498
thatguymarco said:
Not a chance for it to pass 12M.

Yeah, and PS4 will sell under 30,000,000 lifetime...

Around the Network

Nintendo would love to make the GameCube strategy and put the U for 99€, but the gamepad is too expensive and they won't take those huge losses per system, so they're kind of stuck now. Could they develop a cheaper gamepad, or the investment would be worst than the potential sales?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

The gamepad killed this consol..... that and lack of 3rd party support. /thread.

Question how many are expecting the next nintendo Consol to also use a gamepad?

Will it spell doom for that next consol as well?

Samus Aran said:
Soundwave said:

Just because a small niche group of fans on the internet decide to fund something like Yooka-Laylee doesn't mean games like that drive the modern market. 

Look at Wonderful 101 on the Wii U. 

Or any Top 10 NPD software sales chart for the last 4+ years. The industry is driven by violent/dark action games and sports titles and not a hell of a lot in between. Mario, Minecraft, and LEGO have their place, almost nothing else does though, even stuff like LittleBigPlanet is having problems selling. 

What on earth does TW101 have to do with a 3D platformer? That game got zero marketting on a failing console. Platinum's violent/dark action games also flopped.

The industry is driven by those games because the industry doesn't make anything else. They should make more variety.

You mean like Puppeteer, LittleBigPlanet Racing, Tearaway, Banjo-Kazooie Nuts N' Bolts, Sonic Colors, Pikmin 3, Codename S.T.E.A.M., Rayman Legends, LittleBigPlanet 3, etc? 

There is variety. Consumers choose not to buy those games. Kids don't even want those types of games by and large. 

In fact there's an entire platform that specializes in cartoony/mascoty/family fun type software overwhelmingly and the market is voting with their wallets saying they don't want it. Hell, people don't even seem to want violent action games that are too cartoony ... Sunset Overdrive had marketing but was largely snubbed in favor of things like another Calladooty and the mediocre Watch Dogs. 

The console industry is largely driven by hyper-violent action games or sports titles. And that's about it. 

Why are you asking us? You should ask Nintendo why it's so hard for them to sell 20m WiiUs.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Ryng_Tolu said:
thatguymarco said:
Not a chance for it to pass 12M.

Yeah, and PS4 will sell under 30,000,000 lifetime...

The PS4 has a massive market to cover, and a lot of people that want to catchup with todays' gaming. Most Nintendo fans already got their Wii Us, the ones that wanted the console already got it + kids with moms that think that videogame=Nintendo, there isn't much of a market left to persuade to buy the Wii U, besides theharcore of the hardcore of Zelda/Metroid/F-Zero fans, which probably amount to another 1.5M combined, and that's being optimistic.

I'm now filled with determination.

Soundwave said:
Samus Aran said:

What on earth does TW101 have to do with a 3D platformer? That game got zero marketting on a failing console. Platinum's violent/dark action games also flopped.

The industry is driven by those games because the industry doesn't make anything else. They should make more variety.

You mean like Puppeteer, LittleBigPlanet Racing, Tearaway, Banjo-Kazooie Nuts N' Bolts, Sonic Colors, Pikmin 3, Codename S.T.E.A.M., Rayman Legends, LittleBigPlanet 3, etc? 

There is variety. Consumers choose not to buy those games. Kids don't even want those types of games by and large. 

In fact there's an entire platform that specializes in cartoony/mascoty/family fun type software overwhelmingly and the market is voting with their wallets saying they don't want it. Hell, people don't even seem to want violent action games that are too cartoony ... Sunset Overdrive had marketing but was largely snubbed in favor of things like another Calladooty and the mediocre Watch Dogs. 

The console industry is largely driven by hyper-violent action games or sports titles. And that's about it. 

Sonic Colors sold a lot.

And LBP3 is also sellng well and has good legs. Pikmin 3 could outsell Pikmin 2 if we include digital. Tearaway sold decently for a failing handheld, that's why it's being remastered on the PS4.

I didn't know the 3DS was failing btw, you know, the platform that has a very similar library to the Wii U.

Nuts N' Bolts is the game no one asked for and no one wanted, it wasn't a platformer. Codename STEAM looked like shit and had no marketing. LittleBigPlanet Karting was a pretty shitty karting game. I wouldn't buy it either and I love kart racing games.

I don't even want to know what Puppeteer is.

Should I list all the dark gritty games that failed?

Soundwave said:
Samus Aran said:

Sadly, you are right. (With the exception of LEGO and skylanders that also do well). Nintendo software does great so that's not the issue. The problem is indeed  that they lack the big hitting mainstream games. I know tons of people who only play Fifa, CoD or GTA.

I believe if Nintendo had made a console similar to ps/xbox and try to market it as a 'cool' product like Sony and Microsoft do, it could have done very well. They would have a larger audience while their ip's would still attract their fans. 

Having said that, the Wii U is a great console with amazing games and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

I love my Wii U, but when I see how many people have a PS4 and play CoD and FIFA only, mayby the occasional Battlefield, it's a shame. At least I'm trying to properly educate the kids around me to pick up a larger variety of games.

Im a hardcore nintendo fan, but idk. That seems weird. Nintendo has to create a some really good marketings things with Zelda, if they want it to sell, better start marketing and spread news now.