By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playtonic (Former Rare Developers) Unveils Their Dynamic Duo: Yooka-Laylee

McDonaldsGuy said:
I am on the fence about this. We are going either find out why this genre died or see the rebirth of it. A Hat in Time looks amazing too. So if this and AHIT are both great then maybe we can see a small genre revival.

I wish THQ or Eidos (not Square) were still around. I could see one of them publishing this game.

The genre never died.

It's just that besides Nintendo most 3D platformers have sucked lately. Splatoon and Trine 3 are also upcoming 3D platformers btw, the genre is definitely making a comeback.

Around the Network

The chameleon needs more red and the bat needs a bigger nose but otherwise good.

Samus Aran said:

The genre never died.

It's just that besides Nintendo most 3D platformers have sucked lately. Splatoon and Trine 3 are also upcoming 3D platformers btw, the genre is definitely making a comeback.

In the same comment you say the genre never died... And is definitely making a comeback.

Just saying.

Hynad said:
Samus Aran said:

The genre never died.

In the same comment you say the genre never died... And is making a comeback.

I didn't know something had to die before he/she/it could make a comeback.

For example, Tom Boonen hadn't won a big cycling race since 2009, but when he won Paris-Roubaix and the Ronde van Vlaanderen in 2012 he made a huge comeback.

Samus Aran said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
I am on the fence about this. We are going either find out why this genre died or see the rebirth of it. A Hat in Time looks amazing too. So if this and AHIT are both great then maybe we can see a small genre revival.

I wish THQ or Eidos (not Square) were still around. I could see one of them publishing this game.

The genre never died.

I think hes talking about the collectathon platformers.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Samus Aran said:

The genre never died.

Even then, Super Mario 3D World is quite a collectathon.

And so is Yoshi's Woolly World (I know it's 2D, but still).

Samus Aran said:
KLXVER said:

Not really. Even Tropical Freeze is closer in that case...

KLXVER said:
Samus Aran said:

3 green stars and one stamp in each level is a lot. That's over 400 things to collect.

The KONG levels weren't hidden and the puzzle pieces weren't required.

Samus Aran said:
KLXVER said:

3 green stars and one stamp in each level is a lot. That's over 400 things to collect.

Its still far from a collectathon though. Banjo and DK64 are good examples.

KLXVER said:
Samus Aran said:

Its still far from a collectathon though. Banjo and DK64 are good examples.

That game took it too far. There needs to be a balance and SM3DW is probably the game with the best balance in that regard. Not too much, not too little.