By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Preview: Yoshi's Woolly World (One more analysis ).

Yoshi Woolly World

I want it NOW 77 50.00%

It´s so cute, I want to die <3 33 21.43%

Let´s be honest, Goty material. 13 8.44%

MEH! 15 9.74%

Only virgins play this! 5 3.25%

My Cats Breath Smells like Cat Food 11 7.14%

Total:154
Goodnightmoon said:
Hynad said:

Go play Axiom Verge and then come back and say that again.

I can´t wait until it comes to PC on May to play it :)

But I´m not saying anything wrong about the indies, I play a lot of them. But why can´t we have a Metroidvania  game like that with the treatment of a game like any shooter this days. Wouldn´t be great? Instead indies is the only thing we have, when we could have both. 

If a game is good, is it really important to categorize it?

A game can be good no matter its coating. Yeah, games with nice looking coating are usually more appealing. But some games, like Fez and Axiom Verge manage to look really good, even if they go for the "nod to past games" route. If a game achieves something unique with the look its going for, like many indie games, I think the merit is just as high as the games that push a more "realistic" approach with a much higher budget. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is a looker, for sure. But it doesn't do anything unique or special compared to the other titles in the series. It's a very polished package of really good level design and visual eye candy, but it's also a little uninspired with the way it played it safe.

Sure, I would like if most games got as much care as a game like Ori got. But I'm not going to call the indie scene a cesspit because the games graphics don't all look like Rayman, Ori or DKC.

Around the Network

So will this game have support for the pro controller? Would be really weird if it didnt, but Nintendo UK says so.

Mbolibombo said:
So will this game have support for the pro controller? Would be really weird if it didnt, but Nintendo UK says so.

I think this game doesn´t even use the gamepad for nothing. So it should support the pro controler yes.

Hynad said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I agree wit him. There´s some great 2D indie platformers (Fez, super meat boy, Shovel Knight...) but you can´t compare that with full retail games, is really sad when you see a genre with games that are not allowed to cost more than 15/20$ or have a tecnicall level beyond a HD 16 bits game.

Imagine if suddlenly rpgs are treated like 2D platformers, we will have great rpgs, yes, but they would have to be like a Super Nintendo game, something more like Pier Solar than Xenoblade. And that´s sad.

So you agree with him that indies are part of a cesspit?

And I thought graphics weren't important to make a game good. Gameplay is king and all that jazz? 

It's not true anymore? Hmmm....

The more you know.

Indie games can look beautiful, just look at Oddworld: New n' Tasty and Trine.

Hynad said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Without some tecnicall level and some capital inversion you can´t make a game so atmospherical, gorgeous and intense like Tropical Freeze. You don´t need 400 milions $, but dont try to make something like that with 200.000$, because you can´t. Same with things like Wooly World, its aesthetics, music, realistic physhics and ilumination can´t be made with 4$. And while that is not what you need to make a good game, we are not on 1994 anyrmore, give something that looks and sound like today. I can live with both worlds, retail games are not going to kill the indies.

Go play Axiom Verge and then come back and say that again.

One look at that Super Metroid artstyle is enough to turn me away.

If you're going to copy from Metroid you might as well use the Zero Mission artstyle.

Around the Network

This game looks great. Very creative artistically, but it's not in your face about it. A lot of the yarn details in this game are quite subtle (I'll bet the game will have quite a bit of replay value for just going through levels and taking a closer look at how everything is related to arts and crafts). For example, the sand the commentator mentions in the beach level of the Gamexplain video is actually sponge. You can tell because it is porous and it is quite squishy when Yoshi jumps on it. I like how it is not so obvious though, it makes the focus on the game play.

Kirby's Epic Yarn was the most innovative 2d platformer I played in ages. Since this is the spiritual successor I always had high hopes for it. And since they fixed Epic Yarn's only flaw (no difficulty) it could really be great.

For this new long Yoshi analysis Gamexplain has invited someone who played a piece of the game:

"One of the best Yoshi games I´ve ever played"

Goodnightmoon said:

For this new long Yoshi analysis Gamexplain has invited someone who played a piece of the game:

Probably the game I'm most excited for this year. From the sounds of it, it's much better than Kirby's Epic Yarn. I'll be mad if the reviews are lower! :p

Most reviewers complained that Kirby's Epic Yarn was too easy, but this game seems to fix that. Some of them also complained that it wasn't really a Kirby game, but this game is most certainly a Yoshi game. The yarn aesthetic suits a Yoshi game better than a Kirby game.

I shouldn't put much faith in critics of today though...

Samus Aran said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Probably the game I'm most excited for this year.

Hahahaha

I though you were immune to cute things, dont know why xD