By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Wii U surpassed that E3 2011 Zelda teaser yet?

Has it been topped yet, visually?

Yes 173 45.05%

No 211 54.95%

Total:384

Yes.

A lot of ignorance about that demo here I see. For one, it wasn't pre-rendered. It was real-time and ran on a prototype WiiU weaker than the current actual WiiU model. We can be pretty sure WiiU would be able to run that with little problem. It also was never a demo of Zelda U, rather one showing the potential of WiiU hardware. As such, Nintendo never changed anything regarding Zelda U's art-style. You fell for the old Spaceworld/Wind Waker trap.

In 2011, the demo indeed looked impressive. Today however, you see it was just Twilight Princess HD. Most effects are old news. Textures , level of detail and modelling not much out of the ordinary. Animation was sloppy, though this is maybe excusable.

I'd say there's a multitude of WiiU games that surpassed it already, or specific areas of it, including what we saw of the actual Zelda U, which seems technically far more impressive. Super Mario 3D World and especially Captain Toad has it easily beat in the shading and detailing department. Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2 and maybe others also beat it if you asked me. I'd say everyone should rather look at the garden demo they had.

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:
DialgaMarine said:
Everytime a console is revealed, we always get tech demos showcasing the console's potential. Key being potential, because said tech demos are always just pre-rendered videos, which of course always look better than anything real time, even if it's in engine. Wii-U might get something close, maybe even from Zelda U, but I doubt anything on Wii-U will ever look that good.

That being said, I really wish they had stuck with the darker Zelda style from that footage. I still can't get on board with the brighter more colorful style.

Nintendo didn't show anything pre rendered and easily surpassed the demo's graphics.

With?

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

DialgaMarine said:
Materia-Blade said:

Nintendo didn't show anything pre rendered and easily surpassed the demo's graphics.

With?

I think a more interesting answer from him would be if you ask him why he believes the graphics from the games he'll mention surpass those from the tech demo. =D

It has been beaten easily multiple times. Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Bayonetta 2, and the Zelda E3 trailer are just some examples

AnthonyW86 said:
Funny thing is some people actually thought it was possible even when the specs of the system clearly showed it was impossible. Would love to bump a thread but not sure witch one it was.

C'mon, the general agreement was that it didn't look better than your average looking 7th gen game. It's always the same '360 can do that' crap.

Around the Network
hsrob said:

I think people are looking back at this with rose coloured glasses simply because it was a Zelda 'reveal' and because it was 'realistic'.

It had its high points and was well directed but it's not really that impressive. Link's model, in particular, is a little lack luster.

I also find it interesting that the demo was down played at the time of release as being 7th gen-ish, yet now some claim it represents some unattainable standard. Not implying an agenda on anyone's behalf, it's just interesting.

Personally I think there are a number of games on the WiiU that look better.

That's easy to explain. haters couldn't stand nintendo showing something that easily surpassed ps360, so they had to downplay. and since 90% of wii u's big exclusives surpass the demo, some people now say it was godly and wii u games can't surpass it.

DialgaMarine said:
Materia-Blade said:

With?

people already mentioned but: Super mario 3d world, Mario kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X, the actual zelda U...

Hynad said:
DialgaMarine said:

With?

I think a more interesting answer from him would be if you ask him why he believes the graphics from the games he'll mention surpass those from the tech demo. =D

Your attitude aside, here's why: the demo consisted of one big room with some windows, big statues, reflective floor, pillars... there were also some bats and torchs, link himself, a fairy and armogohma.

Starting with the room, the floor is pretty but reflectiveness isn't hard to do. it was already pointed that even the last story from wii had a pretty reflective floor. the fire on the torches use a simple effect that isn't very demanding. the pillars and statues modelling are ok but have clear low polygon parts. lighting looked really good but like the floor, it isn't any herculean job to do.

The bats are somewhat better modeled hd versions of the bats from TP.

Link's model, as I already said, has textures doing the job of shadows in his clothes, low polygon areas and bad detection on his arms/clothes.

Armogohma is big and detailed but Bayonetta 2 has bigger and more detailed monsters, many of wich appear on screen simultaneously.

So, the demo showed very little and wasn't amazing, being easily surpassed in all aspects by other wii u offerings.

Zekkyou said:
curl-6 said:

Most of it potential audience do, I expect.

Yep, I'm in that boat. I'm not going to comment on its graphics (it's not a debate I want to bother with), but on an artistic level I think the original looked much nicer.

But the question is, have the visuals of it been beaten yet. Yes, they have.

Arlo said:
Definitely not. I think it might be able to, but no one cares enough to do it. Too pricey, I guess.

Wii U could not dream of doing that in an actual game lol