By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Xbox 360 Was Probably the Best Engineered Video Game Console Ever

What is the best Engineered Video Game Console Ever?

Xbox 360 127 13.86%

PS4 405 44.21%

SNES 123 13.43%

Dreamcast 62 6.77%

Atari 2600 12 1.31%

None of the above 187 20.41%

Total:916
Hiku said:
I'm trying to figure out what your next topic is going to be.

"WiiU has the most mature library ever, because Bayonetta"?

That's a good one.

Around the Network

Honestly, you have to be joking with this. RROD by itself proves that 360 was the worst engineered console ever. How many of the consoles sold were just people buying another 360 to replace the broken one? 

Azzanation said:

I am not a console gamer but I do happen to own all consoles and yes the 360 is by far the best engineered console to release. It was a developers dream, it had a great balance between its Ram, CPU and GPU, it also had the best controller ever built (based off reviews) and it still offers the best Multiplayer system to date. 

360 in my books is a masterpiece. It did everything and it did it well. I still own my original Slim 250gig and it still works like a charm.

Not against PS4 as I own one but lets be honest here, the PS4 doesnt even sit flat on my bench, it wobbles if you press down on a corner, and the PS3s controller buttons arent space out evenly. These are minor things but are design floors.

It has the highest failure rate of all consoles. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-360-failure-rate-542/1100-6215590/

Aeolus451 said:
Azzanation said:

I am not a console gamer but I do happen to own all consoles and yes the 360 is by far the best engineered console to release. It was a developers dream, it had a great balance between its Ram, CPU and GPU, it also had the best controller ever built (based off reviews) and it still offers the best Multiplayer system to date. 

360 in my books is a masterpiece. It did everything and it did it well. I still own my original Slim 250gig and it still works like a charm.

Not against PS4 as I own one but lets be honest here, the PS4 doesnt even sit flat on my bench, it wobbles if you press down on a corner, and the PS3s controller buttons arent space out evenly. These are minor things but are design floors.

It has the highest failure rate of all consoles. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-360-failure-rate-542/1100-6215590/

My personal experience with it: It broke almost immediately and I got it replaced. About a year later my new one stopped working again, so I swapped for a third one. Not long after my roommate's console stopped working.

Finally, as of about 8 months ago my third Xbox 360 ceased to function yet again meaning that I no longer have access to that game library unless I get a fourth. 4/4 of the xbox360s I came into contact with, then, are all no longer working and/or were sent in for refurbishment lol

I loved that console when it was working (my fav of the generation) but I'm glad it's in my past. Meanwhile, my Atari VCS, NES, Sega genesis, nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox, PS2, PS3, and Wii all still work just fine. The only other console I've run into trouble with is the original playstation, which skips now.

Obviously those are just personal anecdotes, but I certainly can't rate it too highly for that reason. Besides, has there ever been a noisier console?

The Xbox 360 is a really great console but I'm not sure if "best engineered" is the right phrase (the highest failure rate of all time). It's my 3rd favorite console ever (would be 2nd if the diverse exclusives had continued beyond 2008) but that's because of its superior controller, OS/interface, easy to develop for architecture and price. It's a better console than the PS3 in every aspect with the exception of its game library imo.

1. PS1/N64
2. PS3
3. Xbox 360

The diverse exclusives like Kameo, Dead or Alive, Project Gotham Racing, Dead Rising, Saints Row, Gears of War, Viva Piñata, Crackdown, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Ninja Gaiden, Fable 2 and The Last Remnant all stopped in 2008. From there on the only exclusives (besides Kinect games) were sequels of Halo, Gears and Forza.

Ironically PS3 really started to shine in 2008 and 2009 with exclusives like Gran Turismo 5: Prologue, Metal Gear Solid 4, LittleBigPlanet, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, Valkyria Chronicles, Killzone 2, inFamous, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2 and Ratchet & Clank: ACiT.

Around the Network

Yes indeed it is 😉

No. For something to be engineered well it has to be reliable. That has been the least reliable mainstream console to date. It wasn't only one issue either, it had many issues and each were known issues or there wouldn't have been direct notifications of each of them with variations of the RROD.
For me, it is actually the N64, but that is because my apartment flooded with the console fully submerged for a night, after a week the of drying out, the console worked perfectly and still does to this day.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

As unappealing as I find it's library, looks, and underlying philosophy, even I'll admit PS4 is well engineered from a technical perspective.

Not sure if I'd proclaim it the all time winner though, Gamecube was also an exceptional piece of hardware. (Shame about the software)

I do agree that the 360 had a pretty smart internal architecture and was definitely the best console of the 7th gen in this respect, but when declaring the best engineered console ever you should take into account failure rate and materials quality as well...and the 360 just fails there.

Yup

Proud to be a Californian.