By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could Wii Fit suck?

Gnizmo said:
I can see myself being wrong, but $90 on-top of a $250 console just strikes me as sligtly too much.

yeah, gh3 only sold 1.6mil in US so far, so once all the HeroBoys buy wii fit, it won't sell another...so 1.6mil wii fit is confirmed as the ceiling =))

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Around the Network
d21lewis said:
There was an exercise bike for the Nes, way back when (right about the time the "Miracle Piano Keyboard" was being talked about. I think it was called the Fitness Life Cycle, or something. I remember reading about it in Game Players Magazine (Not Chris Slate's version of Game Player's Magazine). I don't know if it was ever released, but it would probably be a huge success if it came out now. The market is ready for it. It would be more effective than Wii Fit, that's for sure.

Couldn't the Wii remote be attached to the bike? Or maybe they could make future exercise bikes with that option, "support for Wii Fit 2" would probably help sales a bit...

Or is it too much g-forces for it too work?

I have a wii, but for my fitness concerns I've got better equipment than a stepping board for video games.

Lol, I've turned my basement into a gym. I installed rubber flooring, mirrors on the walls, tons of free weight equipment (squats, bench press, dumbbells, lat pull downs, peck deck, etc.), treadmills, ellipticals, stereo, etc. For some reason, I just feel that my gym will provide a better workout.

Don't get me wrong! I think it's a wonderful, innovative idea, but I just am skeptical about it accomplishing its intended results. I'll stick to more conventional, proven means for the time being.

But I still applaud it for those who don't have the motivation to use normal equipment. If they're standing up and moving, it's an improvement over sitting on a couch and eating potato chips.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Yes. It already does.

Just imagine the "Get on your knees game" ;)

No. Seriously, Nintendo should just money into a better game.

Star Fox Wii, F-Zero Wii, Pikmin 3, Kid Icarus 2 (not Myths and Monsters for GB), and Golden Sun 3 come to mind.

It could but it could be fun as well.

Need people to play online with me for Brawl.
4382-1731-1511.

Name is DROAK.  

Around the Network

DragonLord said:
I have a wii, but for my fitness concerns I've got better equipment than a stepping board for video games.

Lol, I've turned my basement into a gym. I installed rubber flooring, mirrors on the walls, tons of free weight equipment (squats, bench press, dumbbells, lat pull downs, peck deck, etc.), treadmills, ellipticals, stereo, etc. For some reason, I just feel that my gym will provide a better workout.

Don't get me wrong! I think it's a wonderful, innovative idea, but I just am skeptical about it accomplishing its intended results. I'll stick to more conventional, proven means for the time being.

But I still applaud it for those who don't have the motivation to use normal equipment. If they're standing up and moving, it's an improvement over sitting on a couch and eating potato chips.

wii fit won't be better than your gym...but it's not trying to be

u could use it for some of the lighter workouts/fun workouts and then let it know how much weight lifting/etc that you do and use it to track your progress...but u are 'really into working out' so wii fit isn't the best solution for u...u have internal motivation to work out so don't need the motivation that playing wii fit provides

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
d21lewis said:
Magnific0 said:
@d21lewis^Didn't the Power Pad go the same way of that robot? ....

Yeah. But R.O.B. is a hardcore urban legend now. He once saved a baby from a street gang, I've been told. 

I heard he saved a busload of nuns from a fiery doom.

DragonLord said:

Ah, but you've already spent thousands on home fitness equipment, which many Wii owners/prospective buyers have not. I think for people like yourself, a light weight balance board based exercise regimen will add little to nothing over your current one. To those without a home gym, $350 is a lot easier on the budget in addition to having the perceived "fun" factor which is why so many exercise regimens fail (people get bored with them or they don't see results). For those who already own a Wii, then it's about $100; not much more than they typical exercise gadget sitting in the closet. 

The problem with WiiFit, is that many people may end up buying this with the idea in mind that it is an effective replacement for a dedicated exercise program. I'm not going to look up the article again, but I believe Miyamoto already went on record as saying the purpose of WiiFit is not as a substitute for traditional exercise. It's an entertaining way to monitor level of fitness, much like the WiiSports fitness tracker. Achieving pro status in baseball or tennis does not suddenly mean you can actually play on a competitive level in real life. Nobody really believes this. 

If the out of shape hopefuls looking for an exercise silver bullet buy a Wii and WiiFit with the idea of getting into shape, they may be disappointed. I could potentially see WiiFit becoming like Brain Age although Brain Age only costs $20 rather than $100 or $80. And it can be played anywhere. I used both Brain Age 1 and 2 on a near daily basis for months but have since  stopped using both. After unlocking everything, there's no real benefit other than entertainment. Unless you're comparing stats and scores with friends, it's not that entertaining after awhile.

If I buy WiiFit (and originally, I had no interest being of the school of thought that if it doesn't include weight training and cardio training on par with running, it's not serious exercise), it will be for the sole purpose of monitoring weight and general level of fitness as opposed to say a digital scale that also measures BMI, body fat %, body water %, etc.  Although having to turn on the Wii every time I want an assessment makes me think a specialized digital scale would be a better choice. My Wii sees minimal usage currently. 

And that's the more important issue for how WiiFit performs commercially. Not how many people Nintendo can convince to USE WiiFit on a regular basis, but how many people they can convince to buy it.  "But why would anyone buy something they don't plan on using?" See exercise equipment in closet or attic in typical home. It looks fun/good and it looked like it could help you get in shape easily. 

Magnific0 said:
Do Wii Fit games have music / can you play your own MP3s as background music in the game ?

i don't believe so

Predictions: