By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Xenoblade Chronicles X Thread - OUT NOW!!!!!!! Questions Thoughts And Opinions Inside!

I don't think it's super surprising that the score is quite a bit lower.
People seem to have forgotten than Monolith is an extremely inconsistent developer (I am including Xenogears in their list of games).
I say this as someone who still hasn't forgiven them for Xenosaga.

Around the Network

Keep in mind this game got the exact same meta as Xenogears and better than all the Xenosagas. The only game to beat this in score in the series is Xenoblade. Just something interesting. (Keep in mind so far, could still go either way.)

Also keep in mind how averages work. The six sub-eighty scores have more pull than probably two or three times as many 85+ scores. I normally don't complain cause it's not like any one game gets rear ended by this, all games do. Just saying, Metacritic is a better hub than a metric.

Overall, saw this coming. Mid eighties was my suspicion. Especially when I heard the writing was kinda Majora's Mask structured and there were some gates of chapters. The first of those two elements does no favors to a game when reviewers are hurrying. The second is something that, if you ignore the side content, will get in the way. And some will appreciate that it makes sense in context, others won't. Sake with the slower opening. Some like the idea of being immersed in an opening that thoroughly sets up the context. Others just want to get a move on.

Conegamer said:
84 seems a bit low. I blame Cloud and in part Curl.

Blame Curl first. He was the first to start it x )

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Well I was expecting a 87 so is a bit dissapointing but not too much, I mean, Fallout 4 is a great game and has almost the same score, so... OK

Can't wait to play it!

Around the Network

Like the first game it was never going to get universal love. It's too niche and complex. I just hope fans of xenoblade love it.

So I was wrong about it being divisive. But I was right about the bar for RPGs being set higher and thus it scoring relatively lower than most were expecting. Overall 84 is a good score and nothing to scoff about.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

spemanig said:

No one I've seen has criticized the game for being too complicated. It's criticizing the game for being obtuse about its systems. You should be able to learn a games systems organically throughout the gameplay experience, with the game's challenge scaling appropriately along with your assumed knowledge. That's good game design. Needing to read a 50 page external manuel to get a full understanding of all of the game's complex systems is terrible game design. It's lazy game design.

It may not be an issue for me personally, because I spend hours reading up on game systems of complex RPGs before playing them just as a preference, but you should absolutely never have to leave the game world to learn about something integral to playing or enjoying the game.

I hear people moaning when games do as you said here, W101 is an example, leaving the player to figure things out themself is most of the time worse as if you think having to read to learn complex set ups is a problem for them just watch them moan more with out it. One of the reviews complained about battle being automated with no input, those are the type of people who are the reason behind it and that person was a reviewer.

While the score is lower than most expected, 84 it´s still a good score

Never said:
Like the first game it was never going to get universal love. It's too niche and complex. I just hope fans of xenoblade love it.

Except the first one got a 92 lol. What are you talking about?

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"