By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will MS ever win a generation?

Tagged games:

t3mporary_126 said:

Anything can happen! But history seems to generally side home consoles to Playstation and even Nintendo (both won/will win 3 generations but Playstation only lost one) and handhelds to Nintendo (ignoring smart devices). But who knows? Very few of us predicted Nintendo would win with the Wii and Microsoft had a good chance this generation but faced the DRM fiasco and high launch price.

Maybe if Sony messes up badly next generation and Microsoft doesn't get involved with a huge media backlash the generation afterwards, Microsoft could win if Nintendo messes up and continues its decline on home console sales.

But this would all have to happen before another paradigm shift affects the game industry which may eliminate the need of home consoles entirely and console wars become publisher/studio wars instead.

Sony lost 3 generations if we're seperating HH vfrom HC.

DS beats PSP, Wii beats PS3 and 3DS beats Vita.

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:
Samus Aran said:

Not really, Sony is a huge company and couldn't even dream of the profits Nintendo posted. 2012 was the first time Nintendo posted a loss since they started publishing their operating income in 1981. That's something the Playstation brand can't claim.

And since when did Sony sell the Walkman?

Alright then, lets play your game, i'll push the boat out a little further, since you want to stop at comparing entire divisions, the next step is comparing the companies.

Nintendo's market cap : 20.17B
Microsoft's market cap : 353.34B

Thus, Xbox has won every single generation because Microsoft overall ends each year with the most money.

MS is definitely the smartest company out of the 3 yes.

Anyway unless you have hard numbers that GBA + GC was less profitable than PS2 your guess is as good as mine.

Samus Aran said:

The simple fact of the matter is relative to the OP's topic, Gen 5, 6, 7 and potentially 8's winners are PS1, PS2, Wii, PS4.
For handhelds Nintendo gets a clean sweep since Gamegear, Lynx etc didn't really provide much competition and PSP/Vita were outsold.

Not really sure why that's so hard for you to swallow.

Maybe not sales wise, but they won last gen imo...

Tachikoma said:
Samus Aran said:

The simple fact of the matter is relative to the OP's topic, Gen 5, 6, 7 and potentially 8's winners are PS1, PS2, Wii, PS4.

Because Nintendo makes HH as well. If they made main Pokémon games for their HC it would sell a lot better.

Nintendo is just a gaming company, even smaller than the gaming division of Sony and maybe even MS (not sure about their size) and has to split their resources into two because they have to support two platforms.

Using operating income of their gaming divisions is the best source we have available right now.

You can't seperate Nintendo's HC from their HH. Doing so is unfair.

Where's the hard proof that GBA + GC was less profitable than just the PS2? Granted, I have no hard proof of the opposite either.

But GBA selling over 80 million units when its succesor already released 3 years later is pretty impressive. The PS2 had 6 years on the market without a succesor. Nintendo sold each GBA for profit and the games were relatively cheap and fast to make. It doesn't seem that weird to me that the GBA + GC + first 2 years of the DS made more profit than the PS2 and the first year of the PSP.

The only thing I find hard to swallow is people constantly ignoring the fact that Nintendo also makes HH and has to support two platforms by themselves. It's an elitist attitude I want no part of.

Around the Network
thedawghousev2 said:
KdxlavkdX said:
They could have won this gen if they didn't put all that DRM shit on XBO.

do you truthfully, honestly, 100% actually believe xbox had any chance in the slighest to come anywhere close to ps4's sales even before the drm thing?

Yes I do. Don't know why people think that's so shocking.

Samus Aran said:
Tachikoma said:

Because Nintendo makes HH as well. If they made main Pokémon games for their HC it would sell a lot better.

Nintendo is just a gaming company, even smaller than the gaming division of Sony and maybe even MS (not sure about their size) and has to split their resources into two because they have to support two platforms.

Using operating income of their gaming divisions is the best source we have available right now.

Where's the hard proof that GBA + GC was less profitable than just the PS2? Granted, I have no hard proof of the opposite either.

But GBA selling over 80 million units when its succesor already released 3 years later is pretty impressive. The PS2 had 6 years on the market without a succesor. Nintendo sold each GBA for profit and the games were relatively cheap and fast to make. It ùdoesn't see=m that weirùd to =me that the GBA + GC + first 2 years of the DS made more profit than the PS2 and the first year of the PSP.

Handhelds should be counted separately as their generations are not synchronized to console generations and (as I already said earlier) they appeal to a widely different audience. Your dogma to combine Nintendo's consoles with handhelds is nothing more than artificial inflation.

Tachikoma said:
kowenicki said:
Xbox: 2nd out of 3

Xbox 360: 2nd out of 3

ONE: 2nd out of 3.

Consistent.

Debatable, really.

In Hardware, sure.

In software, hell no.  In peripherals (Kinect is the fast selling piece of tech in a 1 month period of all time), hell no.  In subscriptions, hell no.

Aura7541 said:
Samus Aran said:

But GBA selling over 80 million units when its succesor already released 3 years later is pretty impressive. The PS2 had 6 years on the market without a succesor. Nintendo sold each GBA for profit and the games were relatively cheap and fast to make. It ùdoesn't see=m that weirùd to =me that the GBA + GC + first 2 years of the DS made more profit than the PS2 and the first year of the PSP.

Handhelds should be counted separately as their generations are not synchronized to console generations and (as I already said earlier) they appeal to a widely different audience. Your dogma to combine Nintendo's consoles with handhelds is nothing more than artificial inflation.

Lol, take a look at the top selling HH games and then compare them with the top selling HC games on Nintendo consoles.

I don't think they'll ever win one. Maybe globally in the US , but not in Europe or Asia, including China and Japan.