By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why cant we just have Religion and Atheism live in Harmony?

Maybe it's because on one side, there's a subgroup that tends to point fingers and push beliefs down the throats of everyone they see. Whilst on the other side, there's this subgroup that blatantly mock the belief and religion of the others, labeling others as ignorants just because they believe on "an invisible guy in the sky".

It's like both sides won't budge against each other. And as a Catholic, I'm already tired of seeing both sides fighting and pushing their beliefs towards each other. I also can't understand when a small group of Atheists go like "I'll make fun of your religion because it deserves it and it makes no sense". That's just kicking the wasps' nest.

As long as both sides keep overgeneralizing and intolerant, they won't get along.

Around the Network

I get along with atheists and people from other religions just fine, but I also dont bring up the subject unless asked, so maybe that is the secret...

Well, except for a two year stint when I was on a mission anyway...

WhiteEaglePL said:
because some atheists...... are rude and keep saying/sharing how religion is stupid ect.

And many are simply opposed to the idea that religion should dictate laws and/or their life and be the cause of endless conflicts on a global scale.

To me; the biggest issue with modern religion today is Creationism, or more specifically the fact that they want to juxtapose it with science and have it taught in schools as if it were an actual scientifically verifiable theory that deserves widespread recognition. I take no issue with religious people, I have many colleagues who have faith personally, but both they and me believe that people should be free to choose and make choices based on experience, perspective and sense; not be indoctrinated as a child, like many religious people are today, we also agree that church and state should be separate entities.

For some reason, with the rise of people like Ken Ham, Ted Haggard, Kent Hovind and other people of similar nature; there has been a shift in rhetoric on a global scale and atheism or even evolution has been seen as religions in themselves, when this is clearly not so. Atheists are considered a homogenous group that subscribe to the same beliefs and ideas, when this is clearly not the case.

I don't hate religion or religious people; but I believe that religion should be optional and not mandatory, regardless of ones background and upbringing. I do not believe in telling a child that there is no god, any more than I believe in telling them that there is one; I think they should be able to make an informed decsision at a later point in their life.

Because religions are a thing invented many years ago because of people being scared to die and end up being used to have people under control and also cause wars.

gergroy said:
I get along with atheists and people from other religions just fine, but I also dont bring up the subject unless asked, so maybe that is the secret...

That's the ticket! We all unknowingly get along with people from different ideologies, and we haven't noticed. You don't care if the people on your PSN/XBL/Steam friend list is either a believer or non-believer. You just have fun with them.

Around the Network
WhiteEaglePL said:
because some atheists...... are rude and keep saying/sharing how religion is stupid ect.

because some atheists religious people...... are rude and keep saying/sharing how religion scientology is stupid ect.

hypocrites.

Mummelmann said:
WhiteEaglePL said:

And many are simply opposed to the idea that religion should dictate laws and/or their life and be the cause of endless conflicts on a global scale.

To me; the biggest issue with modern religion today is Creationism, or more specifically the fact that they want to juxtapose it with science and have it taught in schools as if it were an actual scientifically verifiable theory that deserves widespread recognition. I take no issue with religious people, I have many colleagues who have faith personally, but both they and me believe that people should be free to choose and make choices based on experience, perspective and sense; not be indoctrinated as a child, like many religious people are today, we also agree that church and state should be separate entities.

For some reason, with the rise of people like Ken Ham, Ted Haggard, Kent Hovind and other people of similar nature; there has been a shift in rhetoric on a global scale and atheism or even evolution has been seen as religions in themselves, when this is clearly not so. Atheists are considered a homogenous group that subscribe to the same beliefs and ideas, when this is clearly not the case.

I don't hate religion or religious people; but I believe that religion should be optional and not mandatory, regardless of ones background and upbringing. I do not believe in telling a child that there is no god, any more than I believe in telling them that there is one; I think they should be able to make an informed decsision at a later point in their life.

I still know of a person in my school that went to an almost empty church, take a selfie, then post on Facebook how horrible the place is ect.

Almost everyday he blabs things against religion too, even if for 5 minutes.(and when he does he has anger.) Those are the people I dislike. 

I don't know what country has religion as mandatory.......except perhaps China. I think families that have a religion tell their child from an early age, because why not? if they didn't then thier child most likely would be atheist. They can change from being relgious into not or not as much when they are older.

fps_d0minat0r said:
WhiteEaglePL said:

because some atheists religious people...... are rude and keep saying/sharing how religion scientology is stupid ect.

hypocrites.

Personally haven't heard anyone science is stupid. lol.

(unless for stuff like invention of weapons of mass destruction ect ect.)

WhiteEaglePL said:
Mummelmann said:

I still know of a person in my school that went to an almost empty church, take a selfie, then post on Facebook how horrible the place is ect.

Almost everyday he blabs things against religion too, even if for 5 minutes.(and when he does he has anger.) Those are the people I dislike. 

I don't know what country has religion as mandatory.......except perhaps China. I think families that have a religion tell their child from an early age, because why not? if they didn't then thier child most likely would be atheist. They can change from being relgious into not or not as much when they are older.

Mandatory religion as in; your family pushes you into it. There are very few nations indeed who have mandatory religion by law.

Your last sentences are the most important to me here; why should parents have a right to decide for their child that they have to be religious to begin with? It's a massive part of your life, it's kind of like dictating their education or social encounters or other core structures of growing up, I think it is fundementally wrong to present any form of ideology to a child simply because they can't think critically or make informed decisions on their own, the idea that they should be forced into a philosophical and idealogical regime of any kind from an early age is appaling to me.

"if they didn't then thier child most likely would be atheist" What does that say about religion though? If the main reason religion remains relevant will be  subterfuge and recruitment of children, what use is faith? Indoctrinating children is not faith; it is simply social and mental manipulation. And religious families will not teach their children to not be religious when they grow up; that's the point of capturing their minds early on.

Rather than forcing children into religion (I understand that many will be opposed to the term "forced", perhaps "coerced" is better, but children really do not possess the mental and emotional capacity to reject, assemble or sort ideology or philosophical ideas at an early age), we should encourage them to rather find religion themselves at a later point should they feel the need, as they grow up to understand the world they live in.

It is my base philosophy in life if I ever have kids that I will never show them which way to take; rather, I will provide them with the means to find their own way and support them regardless of my personal beliefs and upbringing.

WhiteEaglePL said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
WhiteEaglePL said:

hypocrites.

Personally haven't heard anyone science is stupid. lol.

(unless for stuff like invention of weapons of mass destruction ect ect.)

scientology =/= science lol

not that im a scientologist, I was just pointing out how religious people claim to be under attack, yet they make the same attacks on the beliefs of other groups.