By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Without Playstation, would the industry be in another crisis?

Could be.
The main pressure to reverse their horrible... HORRIBLE drm policy on XboxOne was the fact that Sony were right on the other side of the street, offering a near identical experience minus the bullshit.
Were that competition not there, we can only speculate if the public outcry would still have been enough to make them change their mind. They might have thought to themselves "It's us or nobody. Bend to out will, or go buy a Wii U *evil scoff*"

And we can also only speculate if people would have caved in. What's the alternative? A PC? I love my gaming PC, but they're prohibitively expensive, require some technical know-how to get them set up and even more to play them in your living room. Basic stuff to us maybe, but to the layman? Perhaps not.
Wii U? Well shit, without PS4, might the Wii U be getting more third party support? Might it have succeeded in becoming a proper competitor to the XboxOne without the PS4 around to offer up the more palatable dichotomy of Sony vs MS?

Who can say. Too many variables.
But assuming the absence of PS4 in this hypothetical universe was the only difference, maybe there would have been a crash by now.
But realistically, things would have played out very differently by now, guided by forces who don't want there to be a crash. Stupid, short minded forces mind you.
Fuck I don't know! Maybe! Alright? Maybe!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Train wreck said:

"That's my point here. If you removed PlayStation, the third party games would still exist on other platforms and the growth that was achieved by the PS1 would have been achieved by other console manufacturers. And the software that was put out by third parties wouldn't have really changed because the seeds for what was made in the fifth generation were already planted during the middle of the fourth generation."

And what company would that have been? Toyota? Canon?  Lets list all the big conglomerates who failed to make a gaming console that expanded gaming before Sony and the playstation:

(...)

Nintendo and Sega.

But you just wrote that Sega didn't have the financial means to expand gaming and Nintendo was experiencing generation/generation declines in home consoles with the NES to SNES, where would the growth and expansion come from?

generic-user-1 said:
walsufnir said:
generic-user-1 said:
Sega saturn would have sold alot better. and sega wouldnt have been so broke.
the PS got lucky and the saturn didnt, thats all. sony didnt do much for this succes, they were there when first nintendo fucked it up and than sega fucked it up.
the games that pushed the PS the hardest would have been made anyway.

At least in Germany, Sony did a lot for their success. They stomped the competition with ads on TV and magazines and were very successful to give the PS brand an image of cool and mature gaming and this image still lives on until today.

PR is now considered doing much? they went for the casuals and made gaming "cool". thats something bad not good.

Well, it did much in Germany, yes. I am not to judge it, I am to tell you how it worked and works over here.

Aeolus451 said:
zorg1000 said:

Why wouldn't Nintendo touch Resident Evil back then? Mortal Kombat, Doom, Killer Instinct, Turok are all M rated games Nintendo allowed on SNES/N64 in the mid-90s.

Resident Evil was released on playstation and shortly after was ported to Sega Saturn and pc. Why didn't nintendo get a port? Hmm. That's interesting.

2 years later Resident Evil 2 was released on playstation and a year later it was ported to nintendo 64. Nintendo didn't seem that interested in a third party mature themed game until it sold well on other consoles. 

Wait, so u think the reason N64 didn't get Resident Evil was because Nintendo wouldn't allow it? No, it wasn't on N64 for the same reason many games werent, cartridges.

If Playstation didn't exist, developers would have either sucked it up and developed games with cartridges in mind or they would have put their games on Saturn.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Aeolus451 said:
zorg1000 said:

Why wouldn't Nintendo touch Resident Evil back then? Mortal Kombat, Doom, Killer Instinct, Turok are all M rated games Nintendo allowed on SNES/N64 in the mid-90s.

Resident Evil was released on playstation and shortly after was ported to Sega Saturn and pc. Why didn't nintendo get a port? Hmm. That's interesting.

They used cartridges instead of CDs.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
generic-user-1 said:
walsufnir said:
generic-user-1 said:
the PS got lucky and the saturn didnt, thats all. sony didnt do much for this succes, they were there when first nintendo fucked it up and than sega fucked it up.

At least in Germany, Sony did a lot for their success. They stomped the competition with ads on TV and magazines and were very successful to give the PS brand an image of cool and mature gaming and this image still lives on until today.

PR is now considered doing much? they went for the casuals and made gaming "cool". thats something bad not good.

Well, it did much in Germany, yes. I am not to judge it, I am to tell you how it worked and works over here.

i know how it works in germany^^  but i dont see how that did anything for gaming. 

generic-user-1 said:

i know how it works in germany^^  but i dont see how that did anything for gaming. 

I am just not able to tell what would've been without them, tbh. Because this is pure speculation. I guess Nintendo would've won the gen quite easily but Saturn would've been way more successful. As a former Sega fan this would've been a better world for me :) What would've happened after we don't know. Sega would have made another hardware, for sure, but we don't know if it would've been the same as DC (probably not). Sega would've also gained games like Resident Evil in the end, I guess. Also Tomb Raider would've been an exclusive and so would've been many games. Though I don't see a FF7 could've happenend on Saturn, sadly (technically possible but I guess Square would have made it for N64).

As for Nintendo, they would've kept doint their thing like they always did, always do and always will do.

generic-user-1 said:
torok said:
generic-user-1 said:

PS got lucky? Saturn was a terrible hardware project, while N64 was simply "average". And claiming that Sony only managed to do an impact because the competitor fucked up is absurd. With PS1, they outsold their competitor combined by 2:1. With PS2, they did it by 3:1. With PS4, they are almost beating then combined. It takes a lot more than luck to reach these kind of dominant results.

The first sentence is simply obvious. The TuboGrafx-16 would have sold much better to if there wasn't an SNES and Genesis on the market. Saturn was beaten not because of bad luck, but because it was more expensive, weaker, didn't had a Sonic game, complicated to develop for, hard to cut manufacturing costs, etc. Add that to the fact that it was almost a mockering of all the people that bought 32X and Sega CD and you get why Sega went down. As much as I am a Sega fan, I know that they simply didn't do anything right for almost 5 years before quiting the console business.

why did the PS win? Cds and 3rd party support. the saturn had cd and would have had 3rd party support if sony wouldnt have entered the market. sony hadnt any 1st party killer apps, the tech wasnt better or cheaper than the rest. sony was just at the right place at the right time and didnt made stupid mistakes. 

sure the gaming market would be different with sega and nintendo at the top and many others that try to make a good console but it wouldnt be much smaller, and it would be alot stronger and not in a crisis like todays gaming industrie(the 3rd party developer are bleeding a lot of money)

LOL why did PS win?  It's obvious:

-CD's were too expensive when the Saturn released, whereas the PS1 was still priced as an average console.

-Sony had TONS of killer apps like Crash, Spyro, MGS, FF7, and GT.

-CD's were WAY cheaper than cartridges to produce (Like $1 vs $30).  It's no wonder why Sony got better 3rd party support.

-Sony appealed to people of ALL ages, not just kids.

Saying the industry would be stronger without them is pure conjectgure.  There is no evidence to support this.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

walsufnir said:
Aeolus451 said:
zorg1000 said:

They used cartridges instead of CDs.

Your point? Resident Evil 2 was ported to nintendo 64. Why wasn't the first one ported?

thismeintiel said:
Materia-Blade said:

"Nintendo didn't really do anything significant"

Yeah, they just saved the industry with an amazing console and also created some of the biggest franchises in gaming, with characters recognized worldwide. and they keep making those great games while trying new franchises.

Like I said, Sega would have been given that credit if Nintendo didn't enter the console market.  They were just lucky and actually did nothing really important.  Just as some are trying to argue against Sony here, right? 

Do you have a crystal ball? Because you can't say what sega or any other would have done. The comparison with sony doesn't hold any ground, since sony didn't do/save anything.