By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Predict Splatoon sales first week.

How much will sell Splatoon first week?

100,000 or less BOMBED 128 13.05%

150,000 - 200,000 195 19.88%

250,000 - 300,000 171 17.43%

300,000 - 350,000 133 13.56%

400,000 - 450,000 113 11.52%

500,000 - 550,000 93 9.48%

600,000 - 650,000 26 2.65%

700,000 - 750,000 14 1.43%

Above 750k SUCCES!!! 106 10.81%

Total:979

US 90k
EU 40k
JP 55k

WW 185k

Around the Network

265.525 FW WW.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

Japan - 15k
US - 45k
EU - 20k
Rest - 12k
Total - 92k

Toxy said:
binary solo said:

Why? Because Nintendo fans would vote based on hope and wishes rather than looking at empirical information? I'm basing my views on software sales on Wii U to date, according to VGC because I have nothing better to go on. Fact is, aside from ZombiU there is no brand new IP on Wii U that has sold above 500K, according to VGC. If there is a benchmark against which Splatoon should be measured it's The Wonderful 101.

I see you don't even bother answering the question I pose, rather you content yourself with throwing out unfounded accusations, and putting words on my keyboard I've never written. Where is your evidence of my irrational hate and making excuses for games selling better than I predicted? When it comes to predicting sales for Wii U games I've been pretty close to how things have turned out most of the time, because I try to be analytical about things rather than be lead by my emotions or my hopes and wishes. You think I want Splatoon to fail. I'm just trying to read WiiU's reality and predict how things will go. If how I read things isn't to your liking suddenly it's because I am hating for no reason. What are you going to say if what I've suggested comes close to being true? Are you going to write me an apology?

Captain Toad has sold over 500k and it is a new IP (albeit with a recognisable character from the Mario universe). 

Bayonetta 2 has sold over 600k and is a new IP for Nintendo fans, although it is technically not a new IP, so your point still stands.

However, where your argument falls short, is when you use the Wonderful 101 as the benchmark to measure the approximate sales for Splatoon.
Splatoon is a (somewhat) different take on the 3rd person shooter, which is a popular genre in itself, regardless of being a new IP.

The Wonderful 101 is a game targeted toward a very niche crowd. Dare I say, it would not have moved much units on Sony or Microsoft platforms. It is a niche genre, as well as being developed by a niche party (Platinum Games). Platinum games are notorious for generally being high quality titles, yet they do not necessarily equate to good sales.

Splatoon, while being a new IP, is a Nintendo developed in-house title. It is of a more popular genre, one of which does not have a strong presence on the Wii U at the moment. 
It is safe to say that this game will likely sell more than Wonderful 101, as it has more hype and coverage thus far. Whether it will be a huge hit on the other hand; is anyone's guess at this point.

Right, so nothing that's brand new other than ZombiU.

Captain Toad, apparently builds of a minigame from SM3DW. If so, it's more than just using a known character from the Mario universe, which is a nice leg up in itself, but is a spin off from one of the best selling games on Wii U.

Bayonetta 2, well that speaks for itself. Don't know why you brought it up.

I agree that Splatoon should do better than TW101. After all I am picking it should start with about 7-8x the FW sales of TW101. But it is a game that is quite outside the norm for a multiplayer TPS, which is a reasonably popular genre, but not all that popular as a MP only genre. That benchmark is somewhat set by PvZ:GW, which comes from a known and popular franchise. It has done well across 5 combined platforms, but has not sold over 1 million on any single platform, though it probably got lots of digital sales, and it was given away for 24hrs on PSN to celebrate the 20th anniversary, which is how I got it.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

here are my predicitons:

US : 120k
EUR: 70k
Japan : 50k
RoW: 40k

Which adds up to 280k FW, and just for the hell of it, I predict 1,7 lifetime.

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

Around the Network
Toxy said:
I think some people are underestimating the sales for this game in Japan.
Squids are quite popular in Japan in video games, anime (as well as other types of anime *ahem*) and other categories of their pop culture.

Third Person shooters also tend to be more popular in Japan in comparison to 1st person.

My estimate for first week:

US 150k
EU 100k
JP 120k
WW 425k

I thibk you're failing to understand the difference between "because its good"  and "because it features an object that is popular in that region" 

Also you are crossing types and genres in meaningless ways to bolster a rather pointless stance. 

Ika musumes popularity is smalltime in Japan,  and the popularity it has is confined to that particular character. 

Don't make the same foolish mistake xbox fans id expecting titanfall to fly off the shelves because it had robots, something infinitely more popular in japan than squids,  and with wider appeal. 

First week sales for splatoon in japan will be weak.

Gonna BookMark this thread so that after I see the MC sales I can go on certain people
s wall and give them their serving of crow :)

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

uran10 said:
Gonna BookMark this thread so that after I see the MC sales I can go on certain people
s wall and give them their serving of crow :)

Not in the wall dude, on the thread is more funny :P

Barkley said:

I know some of you are nintendo fans and want the game to do well but be realistic, above 500k first week isn't going to happen. Don't let Bias affect your predictions.

WW: 320k
US: 140k
EU: 95k
JP: 55k

Well, i predict under 300,000 first week. ^^

JP: 40k
EU: 60k
US: 120k
WW: 220k

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert