By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video Game Prices in Canada. Being Raised Again?

ReimTime said:

First things first: The Canadian Dollar blows right now. That is the reason why we pay $50 more for a console, and $10 more for a game than our American friends (don't say we pay the same amount due to exchange rates; our wages haven't been raised since the Dollar's drop). I also realize that there are several users here who would kill to pay the same price as a Canadian, as they have it  much worse than us (et tu, Brazil?). With all that aside, I'll jump into it.

I am disappointed to announce that video game prices are rising here in the Great White North, yet again. Well, at least they appear to be at retailers. Star Wars Battlefront is $79.99 right now at retailers like Best Buy and ebgames (while being $59.99 in the USA). Metal Gear Solid V, and other titles such as Rainbow Six Siege etc, are listed at $74.99 on current gen platforms; $10 less on last gen. And yet the pricing seems indiscriminate: Arkham Knight and The Witcher 3 are at $69.99. Does this mean that prices drop closer to release? Not really, because Uncharted 4 is priced at $69.99 (although that could be a placeholder price) while Omega Quintet, which comes out in 10 days is priced at $74.99. So are these just deals by the retailer? Are they pushing up the prices of some games for no reason? All these games are set at $59.99 down south (search any title I have listed), and more importantly, all are at $69.99 on the Canadian PlayStation store. If you want more to chew on, Wii U is no different. Rodea Sky Soldier is $74.99, Splatoon is $69.99, and Xenoblade X/Zelda U are listed at $64.99. My question is: what gives?

Are prices actually being raised that high? Another $5-$10 on top of what has already been raised? And why is the pricing seemingly indiscriminate at retailers yet level across digital stores? Any explanation would be nice.

It is because of the exchange rate because unless the company is from Canada they want to take that revenue and change it to their home currency.  If it is a US company they will need more Canadian dollars to equal the same amount of US dollars it would have before.  They don't care how much it will buy in Canada, it's only about how many much of the currency in the home country it will equal.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

I got my ps4 at launch for 400 Canadian then our dollar faltered and Sony raised it to 450. The only Tim a console gets more expensive over time...

I'm not buying a game at 80 bucks before taxes!

johnsobas said:
ReimTime said:

First things first: The Canadian Dollar blows right now. That is the reason why we pay $50 more for a console, and $10 more for a game than our American friends (don't say we pay the same amount due to exchange rates; our wages haven't been raised since the Dollar's drop). I also realize that there are several users here who would kill to pay the same price as a Canadian, as they have it  much worse than us (et tu, Brazil?). With all that aside, I'll jump into it.

I am disappointed to announce that video game prices are rising here in the Great White North, yet again. Well, at least they appear to be at retailers. Star Wars Battlefront is $79.99 right now at retailers like Best Buy and ebgames (while being $59.99 in the USA). Metal Gear Solid V, and other titles such as Rainbow Six Siege etc, are listed at $74.99 on current gen platforms; $10 less on last gen. And yet the pricing seems indiscriminate: Arkham Knight and The Witcher 3 are at $69.99. Does this mean that prices drop closer to release? Not really, because Uncharted 4 is priced at $69.99 (although that could be a placeholder price) while Omega Quintet, which comes out in 10 days is priced at $74.99. So are these just deals by the retailer? Are they pushing up the prices of some games for no reason? All these games are set at $59.99 down south (search any title I have listed), and more importantly, all are at $69.99 on the Canadian PlayStation store. If you want more to chew on, Wii U is no different. Rodea Sky Soldier is $74.99, Splatoon is $69.99, and Xenoblade X/Zelda U are listed at $64.99. My question is: what gives?

Are prices actually being raised that high? Another $5-$10 on top of what has already been raised? And why is the pricing seemingly indiscriminate at retailers yet level across digital stores? Any explanation would be nice.

It is because of the exchange rate because unless the company is from Canada they want to take that revenue and change it to their home currency.  If it is a US company they will need more Canadian dollars to equal the same amount of US dollars it would have before.  They don't care how much it will buy in Canada, it's only about how many much of the currency in the home country it will equal.

Ok so since Dice is from Sweden, and Konami is from Japan, CD Projekt Red is from Poland etc they charge different rates?

#1 Amb-ass-ador

ReimTime said:
johnsobas said:
ReimTime said:

Ok so since Dice is from Sweden, and Konami is from Japan, CD Projekt Red is from Poland etc they charge different rates?

When they record profits they record it in their home currency so they do care very much about the exchange rates.  They don't have to charge different rates but they usually do in order to keep revenues the same.  If the canadian dollar goes down 20% and the yen stays the same they will need to charge 20% more to get the same amount of yen.  Even if there is no inflation in Canada, it doesn't matter to the Japanese, they only care that their profits are going down. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
johnsobas said:
ReimTime said:

When they record profits they record it in their home currency so they do care very much about the exchange rates.  They don't have to charge different rates but they usually do in order to keep revenues the same.  If the canadian dollar goes down 20% and the yen stays the same they will need to charge 20% more to get the same amount of yen.  Even if there is no inflation in Canada, it doesn't matter to the Japanese, they only care that their profits are going down. 

Ok that makes sense! So why is digital $10 less? And why have they increased the price by $10 more when the dollar didn't drop again?

#1 Amb-ass-ador

ReimTime said:

Even if a company is from Asia or Europe the odds are for accounting reason they base pricing in North America off the dominant market, the United States.  

Augen said:
ReimTime said:

Even if a company is from Asia or Europe the odds are for accounting reason they base pricing in North America off the dominant market, the United States.  

Ok but why is Battlefront at a 33% price increase when, according to exchange rates, it should be a 18% increase? And why is digital less?

#1 Amb-ass-ador

ReimTime said:

Ok that makes sense! So why is digital $10 less? And why have they increased the price by $10 more when the dollar didn't drop again?

Not sure about digital, although I've always thought should be cheaper.  On raising the prices again it could be expecting the Canadian dollar to fall more in 2015.  Right now 75 CAD is roughly 60-61 USD, they could be buffering prices for possible dropsm given recent history is not that crazy.

Augen said:
ReimTime said:

Not sure about digital, although I've always thought should be cheaper.  On raising the prices again it could be expecting the Canadian dollar to fall more in 2015.  Right now 75 CAD is roughly 60-61 USD, they could be buffering prices for possible dropsm given recent history is not that crazy.

Makers sense. I was always under the impression that digital and physical had to maintain parity because of some outcry from retail chains like Gamestop (the fear of undercutting). Digital should always be cheaper I agree; there is no manufacturing or distribution costs involved.

#1 Amb-ass-ador