By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - MEGATON?! Just How Big of a Deal is Ryu (Street Fighter) in SSB4? Thoughts on His Inclusion (if True)?

spemanig said:
I'm sure Snakes exclusion from Smash 4 has a lot more to do with the fact that Snake isn't anywhere near as iconic as Sonic, Mega Man, or Pac-Man. Ryu is. If anything, Snake's inclusion in Brawl proves that the only people who think about "free advertizing" that Smash might bring are crazed fans, because that's not why Snake was brought in at all.

Snake was brought in because Kojima begged Sakurai.

I don't think characters are necessarily brought in because of exposure, but I don't think it can be denied that the game does give them that. Characters like Ness, Lucas, Ike, Roy, Shulk, Pit, etc. were largely unheard of until they made it into the game. Of course, that's not necessarily the same case for characters like Snake or Ryu, but I think including them does bring a certain amount of exposure from the Nintendo crowd (which they typically wouldn't get).

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network
Skullwaker said:

And those games are now on the virtual console. Or are going to be, at least.

I personally don't see it as a big issue, but I'm looking at it from a business perspective. I'm not saying that Nintendo and Capcom must make some sort of deal, but it's just what I think would happen.

No they aren't. Absolutely none of them have ever, or likely will ever, appear on Nintendo.

And I'm saying that that business perspective clearly doesn't exist to Nintendo, since they've literally never made decisions on Smash's roster based on that. I think that Nintendo and Capcom should make a VS. game together, and I think that Ryu will be in Smash 4, but if both happen, I definitely don't thing that there is a correlation. If Ryu gets in Smash, it will only be because Ryu would make sense in Smash.

Skullwaker said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Well a SFV port is impossible, Sony is helping in the development of the game that game isn't releasing on any other console.  Capcom couldn't even afford to make a next gen SF without Sony's support so a Nintendo x Capcom game isn't happening unless Nintendo makes it, or waits until SFV is done and aids in development similar to what Sony is doing now.  Even with Sony helping with SFV development Capcom still managed to get them to release it on PC no way Nintendo would allow anything like that.  Capcom's hands are pretty much tied here.

That's why I said I'm not talking about a SFV port.

A Nintendo x Capcom game isn't unheard of, considering Capcom is known for crossover games and Nintendo has been into funding 3rd party games this gen (Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Devil's Third, etc.)

Nintendo can't just fund a SF game, they have to make it worth Capcom's while.  Like Sony did with SFV, not only are they aiding in development and Capcom gets the sales from the most popular console but they also get PC sales.  Nintendo can't offer Capcom anything close to that since they won't let their game release on PC and the sales on Wii U wouldn't come close to a SF on PS4.

Skullwaker said:

Snake was brought in because Kojima begged Sakurai.

I don't think characters are necessarily brought in because of exposure, but I don't think it can be denied that the game does give them that. Characters like Ness, Lucas, Ike, Roy, Shulk, Pit, etc. were largely unheard of until they made it into the game. Of course, that's not necessarily the same case for characters like Snake or Ryu, but I think including them does bring a certain amount of exposure from the Nintendo crowd (which they typically wouldn't get).

I don't think that it can be denied either, but I definitely don't agree that that exposure plays any factor in which 3rd party characters make the cut.

If anything, Ryu being in Smash will only boost the sales of the 5 SF games you can buy right now on either the 3DS or the Wii U.

are we sure that crapcom knows who ryu is? stey had problems with megaman too...

Around the Network
generic-user-1 said:
are we sure that crapcom knows who ryu is? stey had problems with megaman too...

You realize that there are two SFs coming out on PS4, and like 6 Mega Man games coming out on the Wii U next month, right? I want new Mega Man games too, but let's not act like Capcom is just sitting around twiddling their thumbs.

I'd be happy if they brought that SF2 HD collection to the Wii U eshop.

Soundwave said:
I'd be happy if they brought that SF2 HD collection to the Wii U eshop.

I'd cry.

spemanig said:
Skullwaker said:

And those games are now on the virtual console. Or are going to be, at least.

I personally don't see it as a big issue, but I'm looking at it from a business perspective. I'm not saying that Nintendo and Capcom must make some sort of deal, but it's just what I think would happen.

No they aren't. Absolutely none of them have ever, or likely will ever, appear on Nintendo.

And I'm saying that that business perspective clearly doesn't exist to Nintendo, since they've literally never made decisions on Smash's roster based on that. I think that Nintendo and Capcom should make a VS. game together, and I think that Ryu will be in Smash 4, but if both happen, I definitely don't thing that there is a correlation. If Ryu gets in Smash, it will only be because Ryu would make sense in Smash.

Mega Man X Collection released on GameCube. So I think all Mega Man games were on Nintnedo plat.

Click HERE and be happy 

A brief history of Ryu on Nintendo home consoles:

Street Fighter II (SNES)

Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES)

Super Street Fighter II (SNES)

Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SNES)

CAPCOM VS SNK 2 (Gamecube)

Tatsunoko VS Capcom (Wii)

So far only the N64 missed out on a game where you can play as Ryu.