By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - MEGATON?! Just How Big of a Deal is Ryu (Street Fighter) in SSB4? Thoughts on His Inclusion (if True)?

Tachikoma said:
I would say a massive deal to nintendo fans, not a blip on the radar for anyone else.

Why would Nintendo fans care though?

Banjo-Kazooie, K Rool or Conker is something Nintendo fans would care for.

The only SF I played was on the GB. I liked it, but apparently it was a bad port lol.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Nintendo gets one of the most iconic video game characters of all time in their game, dude.

Let's not act like Nintendo is the only one doing favors with this. Ryu in Smash sells Smash copies, not just SF copies.

True, but I'm basing this off of Snake in Brawl. I'm sure Nintendo wasn't particularly happy when they put in one of Konami's biggest characters (if not, the biggest) in their game and then Konami continued to ignore them for the rest of the gen.

I just don't think they would do that again. As a business, I think they would want more than that.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Skullwaker said:

The difference being that virtually every Mega Man game ever released has been on a Nintendo platform before. Capcom just doesn't support the series these days.

With Street Fighter, the games are still being made, but most don't come to Nintendo platforms.

There was a very long stretch of PS exclusive Mega Man games. So no, it's not "virtually every Mega Man game." There has been a more recent SF on Nintendo platforms than there's been a Mega Man. I really don't see the issue. It's just a character cameo in a game.

spemanig said:
I don't care if this doesn't mean Nintendo vs. Capcom.

Ryu is just as iconic as Mega Man though, and Street Fighter has an association with at least the Super Nintendo, so it's not too crazy. It definitely makes more sense than any of the other 3rd party characters that get asked for like Snake or Bayonetta.

I hardly agree with you on anything, but this 100%.

Skullwaker said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
First party characters that are a fraction as known as Ryu.  The way things are now is Capcom releases their games on the platforms that are the most lucrative for them.  I'm sure there's no bad blood there its just business.  Look at how Tekken did on the Wii U, which included extra stuff like costumes and items (not sure what else they put in) and it bombed hard, there should be no hard feelings toward Capcom for not wanting to put a SF on the Wii U.  

This is what this comes down to, Nintendo includes Ryu and makes money off of his DLC sales, Capcom literally gets almost nothing out of this deal so Nintendo has to pay them to include him.  If Ryu was actually in the released roster you could argue he gets exposure, but as DLC how many people are actually gonna play as him?  Probably well under 1m.

They're still first party. They are Nintendo, and the game is about Nintendo. If Street Fighter isn't on Nintendo anymore,

Tekken isn't as big as Street Fighter anymore, and that launched fairly early in the Wii U's life cycle (I believe it was a launch title?).

I would argue much more than 1m people would play as Ryu. Currently 9m+ people own the game, and that's just after 6 months of sales. Looking at MK8 and SSBU as references, many people buy into the DLC given. He would get a ton of exposure.

I'm not even saying like a SFV port or anything big. Maybe a Nintendo x Capcom game, or a smaller-scale game. Literally anything. Something cost-effective that would get its money back fairly quickly. Shulk being in Smash has given a lot of attention to the Xenoblade series, and the same thing can happen with Street Fighter on Nintendo platforms.

Well a SFV port is impossible, Sony is helping in the development of the game that game isn't releasing on any other console.  Capcom couldn't even afford to make a next gen SF without Sony's support so a Nintendo x Capcom game isn't happening unless Nintendo makes it, or waits until SFV is done and aids in development similar to what Sony is doing now.  Even with Sony helping with SFV development Capcom still managed to get them to release it on PC no way Nintendo would allow anything like that.  Capcom's hands are pretty much tied here.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
There was a very long stretch of PS exclusive Mega Man games. So no, it's not "virtually every Mega Man game." There has been a more recent SF on Nintendo platforms than there's been a Mega Man. I really don't see the issue. It's just a character cameo in a game.

And those games are now on the virtual console. Or are going to be, at least.

I personally don't see it as a big issue, but I'm looking at it from a business perspective. I'm not saying that Nintendo and Capcom must make some sort of deal, but it's just what I think would happen.

Big deal for Street Fighter fans. That's pretty much it, really.

Skullwaker said:

True, but I'm basing this off of Snake in Brawl. I'm sure Nintendo wasn't particularly happy when they put in one of Konami's biggest characters (if not, the biggest) in their game and then Konami continued to ignore them for the rest of the gen.

I just don't think they would do that again. As a business, I think they would want more than that.

I'm sure Snakes exclusion from Smash 4 has a lot more to do with the fact that Snake isn't anywhere near as iconic as Sonic, Mega Man, or Pac-Man. Ryu is. If anything, Snake's inclusion in Brawl proves that the only people who think about "free advertizing" that Smash might bring are crazed fans, because that's not why Snake was brought in at all.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Well a SFV port is impossible, Sony is helping in the development of the game that game isn't releasing on any other console.  Capcom couldn't even afford to make a next gen SF without Sony's support so a Nintendo x Capcom game isn't happening unless Nintendo makes it, or waits until SFV is done and aids in development similar to what Sony is doing now.  Even with Sony helping with SFV development Capcom still managed to get them to release it on PC no way Nintendo would allow anything like that.  Capcom's hands are pretty much tied here.

That's why I said I'm not talking about a SFV port.

A Nintendo x Capcom game isn't unheard of, considering Capcom is known for crossover games and Nintendo has been into funding 3rd party games this gen (Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Devil's Third, etc.)

tbone51 said:

I hardly agree with you on anything, but this 100%.

Everyone has something they can agree on lol.