By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mortal Kombat reveals first gay character

Tagged games:

It's a slippery slope, I tells ya. Soon we'll have video game characters marrying dogs, and hamburgers eating people.

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:
Soon we'll have video game characters marrying dogs,

That'd be awesome. I always wanted to have the dog as a romanceable option in Dragon Age: Origins.

Wright said:

JoeAncelotti said:

or transgenders

I'd be fine with that even if it is done just for publicity or for social warrior justice bullshit :)

Yeah, people need to know that transgenders, gays, etc are nothing bad, but just part of (modern) life. Even if it's just for publicity, like you said, I'm good with it.

Add me on Xbox: DWTKarma 

I didn't know anyone in Mortal Kombat had a sexuality lol

I think it's been done really nicely. Not having him be solely "the gay character" but just being a part of his backstory.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
teigaga said:
I didn't know anyone in Mortal Kombat had a sexuality lol

When you think about it, it was the next logical step after "Babalities" and "Animalities". I can see it now, "Finish him!" you input a series of buttons and your character says "I like to sleep with girls/guys" then the announcer says "Sexuality".

Signature goes here!

well , it will improve the gameplay .......... oh wait

SamuelRSmith said:

It's a slippery slope, I tells ya. Soon we'll have video game characters marrying dogs, and hamburgers eating people.

Oh lord, think of the children! :(

JoeAncelotti said:
Awesome! Hopefully this motivates other developers to go in the same direction and do gays or transgenders or anything that isn't used much. It's 2015 after all.

Putting them in a game just for the sake of doing so, or because it's a certain year is ridiculous. I'm all for artists making what they want and if having gay people in games is what a designer wants, I'm fine with it. But to put them in JUST to be "hip" or "socially modern" is complete BS. At that point, they're just a sell out imo.

That's pretty subtle. Come to think of it, many old and new games only address a character's sexuality through subtle hints, but it still remains ambiguous and interpretive overall for the player to decide. Games were always more progressive than movies in that regard imo.

.- -... -.-. -..