By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2K Australia, Australia's last AAA dev, is closing down

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/04/2k-australia-in-canberra-closes-its-doors/

A source has just informed us that 2K Australia, the studio in Canberra that most recently brought us Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, is closing its doors.

It was confirmed the entire studio is closing, and all staff members will lose their jobs. “All hands are gone,” said our source.

2K Canberra was the last major AAA-style studio operating out of Australia. The costs of operating out of Australia were apparently to blame for the decision.

Sources close to the situation informed us that, at one point, a move to Melbourne was being planned, in an attempt to help attract new talent to the studio. This allegedly caused many high-level members of the team to leave and that may have factored into 2K’s decision to shut down the studio.

2K provided us with the following statement, confirming the closure.

We can confirm we have taken steps to begin the studio closure process for 2K Australia in order to better manage ongoing development costs while improving the working proximity of our creative teams. We are very grateful for the team’s valuable contributions to numerous 2K projects, and are working with affected staff to explore reassignment opportunities where possible.

Around the Network

I hope you find jobs my fellow countrymen. It may be hard thanks to the shitty employment climate.

Hopefully those involved find new jobs soon.

The 7th gen fucked us hard.

It was a freaking massacre; Pandemic, Krome, Blue Tongue, Team Bondi, THQ Australia, Sega Studios Australia...

As far as game development goes, we're basically a continent sized cemetery now.

As a Canberran I'm a bit saddened by this, would many nods in the pre sequel to both Australia and Canberra that made me chuckle

Around the Network
TheGoldenBoy said:
Hopefully those involved find new jobs soon.

Unless they're going indie or making mobile games they arent finding work here sadly =(

That's a shame :(

#1 Amb-ass-ador

just shows how much American Business Men care about other countries, 2K certaintly hasnt close down US studios 

Ruler said:

just shows how much American Business Men care about other countries, 2K certaintly hasnt close down US studios 

What on earth are you talking about?

pokoko said:
Ruler said:

What on earth are you talking about?

he means that US studios won't close down and only the outsourcing studios would be.  it really happens. Like MS closed down a factory in a certain country in South East Asia and move it to a different place i.e. China to lower down costs, etc.

it happens. he just mean that US studios won't be closed easily. and the 1st one to take a hit on this cost-cutting are normally the outsourcing studios outside the main country of the studio.