By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What If There Are More Than 2 NX Hardware Variants?

Mr. Iwata did mention one of the things about unified/shared platform is that you can have more than just the two traditional form factors. 

"What we are saying is that we would like to integrate software development methods, operating systems, and built-in software and software assets for each platform so that we can use them across different machines," Iwata said. "This means that if we manage to integrate our platforms successfully, we may in fact be able to make more platforms." 

So what about a scenario like this ...

NX Tablet (portable) - Spring 2017

ARM + AMD chipset, 500 GFLOPS, 4GB RAM, 6 inch screen, $229.99 launch MSRP (will gradually come down to $199.99)

NX Family Console (Famicom NX) - Mid-2017

ARM + AMD chip, 1-1.2 TFLOP, new type of wacky controller for new play styles, $249.99 launch

NX Pro Console - Fall-2017

ARM + AMD chip, 2.4-3.6 TFLOP, $349.99 launch price

Games scale up and down on all three in effects/graphics/resolution. Shared ecosystem, a bit like STEAM, from now on, Nintendo will have a centralized platform not tied to any one piece of hardware (again similar to STEAM or iOS). 

Over time even more hardware variants could be introduced like a NX Pocket (smaller handheld when chip can be shrunk even further), NX 4K (4K console), etc. Consumer chooses whats best for them, no more complaining about some gamers feeling slighted, everyone can have what they want and get their Nintendo fix however they want it. 

Around the Network

I do think there will be multiple hardware forms.

Although why the delay to 2017?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Ka-pi96 said:

I'm pretty sure it isn't that easy to just scale games up and down...

It isn't that difficult either. PC devs have been doing it for ages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts8uKqDgXDk

The GPU ranges between these various setting and very different. 

The other big cheat devs can do is 950x540 resolution versions for the handheld, 1280x720 for the family device, 1080p+ for the pro console. 

Ya I think we will see 3 form factors, portable, tablet & console.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I'm 100% sure there will be at least three. Handheld, console, and something cheaper for markets like China. Wouldn't surprise me to see more after that, but Nintendo will hopefully pace things well. They'll get the core two out, than the cheap alternative, then move on to the experiments.

Around the Network

I doubt we will see something like the Pro Console u have listed but the tablet and family console are feasible.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Ya I think we will see 3 form factors, portable, tablet & console.

What do you think about dilenating the consoles too? 

I like the idea of a "family NX" to fulfil Nintendo's ever present requirement for a "family friendly" machine at a family friendly cost and perhaps an emphsis on a new controller that's wacky/different. 

Then a pro console for more hardcore users. 

Ka-pi96 said:
Soundwave said:
Ka-pi96 said:

I'm pretty sure it isn't that easy to just scale games up and down...

It isn't that difficult either. PC devs have been doing it for ages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts8uKqDgXDk

The GPU ranges between these various setting and very different. 

The other big cheat devs can do is 950x540 resolution versions for the handheld, 1280x720 for the family device, 1080p+ for the pro console. 

And as a result you constantly get people saying how much easier it is for devs to get things to work on consoles without having to worry about all of that stuff.

Yeah but there isn't anywhere near the complexity of factors here with a PC, even with 4-5 variants, it's fairly fixed and easy for developers. 

With PC, I can have a different CPU from you, a different GPU, a different amount of RAM, etc. Developers still manage fine with like so many more variables on the PC side. 

Ka-pi96 said:

And as a result you constantly get people saying how much easier it is for devs to get things to work on consoles without having to worry about all of that stuff.

I'm sure Nintendo will try to make the developement process between systems as seamless as possible, since that's the entire point to begin with.

Multi-Format/unifed platform development is actually more "normal" to developers anyway.

Look at PC. Look at Mac. Look at iOS. Look at Android. Even PS4-XB1 are basically fairly similar that devs have to in most cases be able to make a version for both.

This will be nothing foreign for developers, they'll take to it like a fish in water.

The idea of making one piece of software that works on only one hardware device is actually the weird idea, not the other way around. Any programmer making a program for the Mac knows it has to work on multiple models of Mac, not just one, etc. etc. etc.