By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EU Sales UP!!--PS3>WII

azrm2k said:
Username2324 said:
leo-j said:
According to fishy joe(read my signature) a moderator on the site, its believed that amazon is a great source for sales.

On topic:

Im not so impressed, I expected blu-ray to drasticly pull up PS3 sales beyond the 100k point, though this is barely a victory in my books, its still on the margin of error, and the two consoles are basicly = in this weeks sales. Though I keep wondering what would happen if the PS3 was priced the same as the wii in this region.

Wow Leo-j, do you really need to ask that, I think it's quite clear there would be no Wii.

Will people ever realize how stupid they sound when they say stuff like that. The GC was cheaper than the Wii at $199 and got owned. The price isn't why the Wii is winning. I wish Sony would just bite the bullet financially and drop all SKUs below $200 so that once sales normalize again after the price drop spike and the Wii still doesn't disappear the fanboys would shut up. Of course knowing them they'd just pick another reason to complain so I guess it's useless.

The argument about price is relevant. Simply because when the gamecube was geting owned as you put it, there wasn't such a large disparity in price between it and the ps2 as there is with the wii and ps3. Keep in mind that the ps3 launched for $599 and the wii at $250. When the ps3 does hit ~250 and if it is still geting hammered in sales by the wii then we can say that price isn't an issue and people are solely geting it because of preferance. Keep in mind most people do have a budget.

Around the Network

I know I'm holding back on the PS3 due to price. One more pricedrop, and I'm go.

No, not a MGS fan. LBP will be my first game.

Branko2166 said:

The argument about price is relevant. Simply because when the gamecube was geting owned as you put it, there wasn't such a large disparity in price between it and the ps2 as there is with the wii and ps3. Keep in mind that the ps3 launched for $599 and the wii at $250. When the ps3 does hit ~250 and if it is still geting hammered in sales by the wii then we can say that price isn't an issue and people are solely geting it because of preferance. Keep in mind most people do have a budget.

As far as "getting owned as you put it" I think there's little room for interpretation.  I was speaking about sales and pretty much anybody would agree that the GC got owned in sales.  The PS2 sold 6 times as many as the GC!  I'm not even sure if such a massive difference happened in previous generations.

You are indeed correct that the price barrier between the Wii and the PS3 is larger than the GC and PS2 price barrier.  My complaint though with the posts isn't just that people put forth the idea that a lower price could help the PS3.  It's the fact that the posts always state pretty clearly that the poster believes that it's a foregone conclusion that the PS3 would dominate the Wii at a closer price point* when I believe there are more factors to the Wii's success than price.  There are plenty of people who bought a Wii unit or a Wii bundle resold on eBay/craigslist for well above MSRP.  Those people obviously didn't pass over a PS3/360 because of the price.

*case in point: this all started with username's post " Wow Leo-j, do you really need to ask that, I think it's quite clear there would be no Wii."

Around the Network

ferret1603 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Is there a link to the amazon.co.uk "out of stock" history for the Wii. I just checked and it's out of stock right now. :(

Anybody got the link to the history?

It must've just gone out of stock then. As people have been saying it was in stock all last week which tallies with these numbers and was still in stock when I looked earlier today.

Ok, there is a site that tells when Wii's were in stock on Amazon.co.uk, and for excatly how long.

What people have been "saying" is inconsequential.

I would love to see that link, I don't believe that suddenly "there are no more supply constraints in europe." Very doubtful, imo, but who am I to say. 

@theotherguy

If you have the mental fortitude to think that this "proves the Wii is failing" well, I can't call you names because I'll get banned, but...ya know. 

You should learn how to understand this site, and what these numbers mean. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

people here don't understand how it works...

if a console is in stock online and in some major cities, that doesn't mean demand was met

many buyers will buy when they see it in their local store...they are not monitoring amazon or calling around daily...the people doing that are the more hardcore gamers and some casual gamers and resellers...they are not the majority of casuals nor are they the nongamers

so it being in stock on amazon means 2 things:

supply may be meeting hardcore demand

wii is not as much in casuals' minds to where they are paying big premium on ebay so resellers are not buying as much

mk, ssbb will raise hardcore demand
wii fit, mk will raise casual awareness leading to full sellouts this spring

and no matter how it sells now, xmas will have the casuals/nongamers looking again, so practically all 2008 shipped wiis will sell in 2008

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

Yay more BS for the Sony PR team to feed any media outlet for Sony fanboys to eat up, I can see the quote now...

Sony PR: "The PS3 has out sold its other console competitors the week before SSBB came out, *continues in a muffled voice*  in Europe"

Sony PR you just gotta love how they spin and twist things, I swear at E3 2007 it was one PR spin after another from Sony, a couple from MS, and Nintendo holding up wads of cash in each hand and saying "WIN!" and then annoucing Wii Fit, so... this week if Nintendo Wii sales are down I guess I blame Wii Fit as well.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

calm down sony and nintendo fan boys. lets wait a couple of weeks more n analyze each week's sales b4 we jump into conclusion..