By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - GTA 5 PC in 4K is an "Eye-Opener," Rockstar Says

hlfbkd420 said:
I may give it a go just to see how well my 860m holds up at 4k. I have a Lenovo 4k y50 with an i7, 16gb ram, and an 860m. Plays Borderlands 2 at 4k with most settings maxed and ambient occlusion off and it runs about 30fps. Somehow I am doubting a 760 will provided acceptable fps on such a massive game without dialing down all the options to low.

Great thing is those settings are there for a few years down the line tho when more powerful GPU's are the norm, GTA5 semi futureproofed is a nice gesture for future gamers by rockstar. or their nice way of saying that we gotta get the most years out of this version on the pc because GTA6 will be delayed for a few years extra on the PC as well :<!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
rolltide101x said:
ganoncrotch said:

it does indeed sound like panning around a 4k image on a lower res screen, you might think that 1080p isn't that impressive now but if you go back to something on the ps2 era or before that and chuck it on a big HD TV now you'll quickly realize just how fantastic 1080p is for gaming/anything.

My Chromebook (1366x768) does not do justice to 4K at all. Heck it doesnt even do justice to 1080p. I love my Chromebook to death though, awesome 2nd PC. (3rd in my case XD)

1024x768 here at work lol, but I can appreciate that on a 4k monitor that is going to look as sexy as all hell. So much detail to iron out every last jaggy.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

rolltide101x said:
archer9234 said:

Eh, i'm not amazed by 4k. To each his own. It's more of the same. I can even complain about that 4k photo, of GTA V. It makes flaws show up easier.

Higher resolution hides flaws..... Unless you are talking about an ancient game that is not the case. You more than likely have not seen GTAV at 4K because you probably are not using a 4K monitor to view it on.... 

But as you said I can understand if you do not care lol

Then again, anything lower than the native resolution of one's monitor usually looks like garbage, even if it looks OK on a monitor of the same size but with the native resolution being the same as the rendering resolution.

ganoncrotch said:

1024x768 here at work lol,

Are these ancient displays still legal in most workplaces? ;)

Conina said:
ganoncrotch said:

1024x768 here at work lol,

Are these ancient displays still legal in most workplaces? ;)

Worst thing is, it's an IT department in an institute of technology, Hmmmm technology from 15 years ago.

Around the Network

Gonna be kickass! Even without 4k the game looks amazing on PC so with 4k, it will look even more amazing!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

JEMC said:
An HD 7870 to run the game at 4K and 30fps? It must be at very low settings.

Anyway, that's the usual PR talk before the launch of the PC port of the game.

This is still a last generation game. An HD 7870 can max Skyrim at 2560 x 1600 @ 65 fps, I don't see why it can't run GTA V at medium/high, 4k, 30fps without AA (not that it would give that much better image quality than at a lower resolution with AA.) 4k resolutions would be twice the number of pixels than 2560 x 1600, but the game is running at half the frame-rate on an HD 7870, according to the OP. 

sc94597 said:

This is still a last generation game. An HD 7870 can max Skyrim at 2560 x 1600 @ 65 fps, I don't see why it can't run GTA V at medium/high, 4k, 30fps without AA (not that it would give that much better image quality than at a lower resolution with AA.) 4k resolutions would be twice the number of pixels than 2560 x 1600, but the game is running at half the frame-rate on an HD 7870, according to the OP. 

[image]

I don't think "a last generation game" is a good way of describing the PC version. That's certainly where its foundation lays, and i agree with the point you're actually trying to make, but the difference between the PS3/360 and PC version is practically a generation jump in itself. It makes Skyrim look pretty bad (not that Skyrim was every particularly impressive on the graphics front).

sc94597 said:
JEMC said:

Skyrim is older than GTA V and didn't push the hardware of the PS3/Xbox360 as far as GTA did. And it didn't had a remaster or re-release on PS4/X1.

And with all my respects for Anandtech, those numbers are only one of the possible set-up configuration of the game. Look at this

source: HardOCP

They need an 7970 to get that average result than AnandTech got with a 7870. Same Res, same quality, same AF, just different AA.

Also, just look at the news again and look that a 7870 is needed to run the game at 4K@30fps, but it also says "To be able to run the game at 4K resolution at 60fps you'll need a high-end SLI or Crossfire setup."

A high-end SLI or Crossfire set-up to double the frames? The 290X or 970 should be more than capable of that, why do they recomend Xfire/SLI unless it is because the 7870 is only capable of running it on low at 4K?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

sc94597 said:
JEMC said:

I think you are underestimating how great of a remake this is:

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850