By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Don't You Like Neogaf? (Or why do you?)

Arcturus said:

- I think the process to join Neogaf, although slow, is a benefit to the site. The thread of being banned carries more weight and I think causes people to be more thoughtful when posting.

How is their banning process?

Around the Network

I feel like the moderators have grown better over the last 10 years and the community as a whole is better now.

I also think NeoGaf is more adults and less of the whiny kids/younger teeanger crowd which is nice. More informed discussion as a result.

It's also probably the best place for breaking news. So I like it.

I think getting lost in the shuffle is the reason why I am not an active user.

JayWood2010 said:
Arcturus said:

- I think the process to join Neogaf, although slow, is a benefit to the site. The threat of being banned carries more weight and I think causes people to be more thoughtful when posting.

whoops that should say threat, not thread.

I'm not very familiar with the banning process. What I'm trying to say is that if you are permentely banned from Neogaf, you have to go through the entire signup process if you want to join the discussion again. This can take days to weeks, sometimes months. If you compare that we VGchartz, if you're perma-banned here you can easily create a new account and be posting within minutes. Therefore, you tend to be more mindful of what you're posting on Neogaf because rejoining the site after being perma-banned is much more difficult.

Arcturus said:
JayWood2010 said:

I'm not very familiar with the banning process. What I'm trying to say is that if you are permentely banned from Neogaf, you have to go through the entire signup process if you want to join the discussion again. This can take days to weeks, sometimes months. If you compare that we VGchartz, if you're perma-banned here you can easily create a new account and be posting within minutes.

Oh ok i see.  Yeah alt accounts are a joke on VGC.  I think there is better ways of doing it than Neogaf as well though, but that is a very good point you have.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Arcturus said:
JayWood2010 said:
Arcturus said:

- I think the process to join Neogaf, although slow, is a benefit to the site. The threat of being banned carries more weight and I think causes people to be more thoughtful when posting.

I'm not very familiar with the banning process. What I'm trying to say is that if you are permentely banned from Neogaf, you have to go through the entire signup process if you want to join the discussion again. This can take days to weeks, sometimes months. If you compare that we VGchartz, if you're perma-banned here you can easily create a new account and be posting within minutes.

That's more an issue with VGC's sign up process than a different banning process.

Isn't anything you do against the rules on gaf while still a new member an instant permaban as well though?

From what I've read, yes the mods can be quite tought on new members. I'm not saying I think their banning practices are better, or even good, I was just saying that the sites selectiveness and the sign up process is a benefit to the site as it encourages people to be a bit more civil.

The website design is ugly af.

Ka-pi96 said:
The layout. I don't like the layout of gaf.

It's only got gaming discussion and off topic stuff. Nothing is broken down in to smaller categories. Here on VGC you have separate sections for things like Sony or Nintendo discussion. You even have separate off topic sections for things like music or movies so you know where to look for threads on certain things.

Community sections have dedicated threads to certain topics.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

I can't sign up with my free email and that's the reason why I will never join up.

And no, I'm not going to pay just to participate in it. And yes I'm a selfish bastard who likes stuff as long as it's free, sue me.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

I don't believe I've ever wandered to that site, outside of a few times I followed a link there. Maybe someday I'll look into it, but gaming news spreads so fast I don't feel the need to go there for 'breaking news.' As far as gaming discussion goes, this board scratches that itch well enough.