By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - No PS3 price cut for Australia, Official

HappySqurriel said:
FishyJoe said:

http://www.smarthousenews.com.au/Games_And_Devices/Console?Article=/Games%20And%20Devices/Console/K2H9K2K6

No Price Cuts For PS3. Official

David Richards - Wednesday, 16 May 2007

There will be no price cuts for the PS3 in Australia as the gaming console is selling as expected claims Sony Computer Entertainment boss Michael Ephraim.

He claims that despite the lowering of build costs the product will not be cut in price as the cost of going to market in Australia is significantly higher than the US market. "Sales have gone well and between now and the Xmas selling period we see no need to cut prices as we are confident that we will reach our targets" said Ephraim.

Technically speaking, the "No System Price Cut" announcements are usually only ensured to be accurate for (roughly) 24 hours...

What you said is true but with some bad logic.  If its the ONLY system out for 18months why wouldn't developers make games for it to try to make money its just logical. They started those projects long before wii and ps3 come out.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:

http://www.smarthousenews.com.au/Games_And_Devices/Console?Article=/Games%20And%20Devices/Console/K2H9K2K6

No Price Cuts For PS3. Official

David Richards - Wednesday, 16 May 2007

There will be no price cuts for the PS3 in Australia as the gaming console is selling as expected claims Sony Computer Entertainment boss Michael Ephraim.

He claims that despite the lowering of build costs the product will not be cut in price as the cost of going to market in Australia is significantly higher than the US market. "Sales have gone well and between now and the Xmas selling period we see no need to cut prices as we are confident that we will reach our targets" said Ephraim.

makes me wonder as to what there targets where?

sony exec " lets aim for third place, thats a good target"

steverhcp02 said:

this is about a price cut THIS YEAR through the xmas season......im pretty darn sure a price cut/non price cut will not make or break dev confidence this year. 

You are right, sort of. Speaking as a director at a multiplatform developer, my company's confidence in the PS3 platform started breaking about 18 months ago when we recieved the first development kits. Since then it has gone mostly down hill. Now we're at the point when, if we tell our publishers that we'll only do improvement X for the 360 SKU, they'll respond with 'well sure, that's the only SKU anyone cares about'. Of course, it depends what X is, but you get the idea.

I don't want to see the gaming industry in the hands of a Microsoft monopoly. If Sony continue sucking we'll see just how that's like. I think Sony fucked up big time with the design of the PS3; it is expensive with no competitive edge with respect to gaming. Maybe with the PS4 they'll get it right, if they can afford to make one. The question is, have they learned anything?

If I made a $600 console I'd put 3 360 GPUs and 1 360 CPU in it. (30Mb EDRAM is just what we need!) More system RAM if there was money left over. With such a system you'd see a huge difference between the 2 boxes.