By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My Defense to Nintendo's Youtube Policy

rolltide101x said:
impertinence said:

For anyone still unsure about the real motivations at play here I suggest creating your own YouTube channel that just copies a bunch of this Angry Joe character's videos and interspace some jokes or whatever of your own in there, maybe some critiques of the episode and see how deeply he will appreciate all the 'free publicity'.

Just another hypocrite in the world who wants to make money off others work and whines when the owner wants to profit from their products. What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

The difference is publicity does not get him any money...... Nintendo has virtually zero publicity now days and they need to be thanking the few people giving it to them

I was under the impression that publicity was the ONLY thing that gives him money? Does he have some sort of sponsorship deal where he gets paid to have as few subscribers and video views as possible?

Around the Network
impertinence said:
rolltide101x said:

The difference is publicity does not get him any money...... Nintendo has virtually zero publicity now days and they need to be thanking the few people giving it to them

I was under the impression that publicity was the ONLY thing that gives him money? Does he have some sort of sponsorship deal where he gets paid to have as few subscribers and video views as possible?

I mean if you put his videos on your channel and people watched it, it does no good for Angry Joe.

A Youtuber playing Nintendo games on Youtube can convice people to buy a 3DS/Wii U and games. It happens

The fact of the matter is Nintendo is behind the times. Their official program is ridiculous taking a 40% cut from the content creator on top of what Youtube takes. Why would anyone who looks at this as a form of employment spend their time making Nintendo videos when they can do something else and make far more?

Youtubers edit, create skits, do reviews. Nintendo already has free advertising from exposure of the Youtubers audience which should in theory negate the need to request revenue. People don't watch AJ for Nintendo but they benefit when he creates videos about their games. It's honestly a simple concept that seems to be lost on defenders and Nintendo themselves. When you're in last place and can benefit from exposure it almost seems like a no-brainer but suits in Japan are dumb apparently.

Nuvendil said:
Whether you get the point or not is irrelevant. Commentary is one of the things covered under fair use doctrine. Let's Plays are further shored up by nature of being inherently transformative (LPs are videos, not video games). Appropriately edited let's plays with an emphasis on player commentary and interactions are textbook fair use. It's not the same as a movie being aired on television. That is neither transformative nor falls under fair use. But if I were to do a documentary or analytical commentary making use of large clips of that film and aired it on TV, I would not have to worry at all about copyrighted content as those fall under fair use. I may have to navigate some trademark issues, but even that is unlikely due to the very specific nature of trademark law. Nintendo is in the wrong here, definitely in Joe's case. Now if a guy uploads a video with no commentary that is literally the core content/main story of a story driven game from start to finish, then you have an argument. But Joe's vids weren't that, not even remotely close. He followed all the guidelines of fair use and clearly did not use the content in such a manner as to have his vids constitute a substitute for the actual games. In short, Nintendo is in the wrong, not Joe.

You're showing someone's content, and as such you would have to either a.) Make lets plays without video footage and sound which no one would watch or B.) get approval to use said content.  Only way it would be fair use is if they did not make ad reveune or at least, not pocket it the way that youtubers do.  This is obvious, any one who's taken one law class would know.  Which is why Nintendo will always have the last say in where the profits go and ultimately decides whether or not the video is allowed for that purpose.

So Joe is so not in the wrong, his videos get fairly deleted?  Meaning, end of the day Nintendo has the final say in using their product for money.  Which in a way Joe's videos are a product, since he makes profit from them just like any other product.

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

It's their games, it's their decisions. I'm fine with them gaining a part of the money.
The only issue I have is that you can only play Nintendo game. Which in my opinion is stupid. THAT is what causes less advertisement. It would be nice for a popular youtuber to play some of Nintendo's games and feature them.. but they won't due to that.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network
Wagram said:

The fact of the matter is Nintendo is behind the times. Their official program is ridiculous taking a 40% cut from the content creator on top of what Youtube takes. Why would anyone who looks at this as a form of employment spend their time making Nintendo videos when they can do something else and make far more?

Youtubers edit, create skits, do reviews. Nintendo already has free advertising from exposure of the Youtubers audience. People don't watch AJ for Nintendo but they benefit when he creates videos about their games. It's honestly a simple concept that seems to be lost on defenders and Nintendo themselves. When you're in last place and can benefit from exposure it almost seems like a no-brainer but suits in Japan are dumb apparently.

A lot of people is getting this WRONG.

Nintendo and youtube takes a 40% and the youtuber takes the 60%. If you are a Nintendo channel then you have the 70% and the 30% for youtube/Nintendo.

Nintendo takes a 18%. Yes, all that drama for that,

Goodnightmoon said:
Wagram said:

Youtubers edit, create skits, do reviews. Nintendo already has free advertising from exposure of the Youtubers audience. People don't watch AJ for Nintendo but they benefit when he creates videos about their games. It's honestly a simple concept that seems to be lost on defenders and Nintendo themselves. When you're in last place and can benefit from exposure it almost seems like a no-brainer but suits in Japan are dumb apparently.

A lot of people is getting this WRONG.

Nintendo and youtube takes a 40% and the youtuber takes the 60%. If you are a Nintendo channel then you have the 70% and the 30% for youtube/Nintendo.

Nintendo takes a 18%. Yes, all that drama for that,

Link me to this information because this is not what I have seen on several big websites.

Wagram said:

Youtubers edit, create skits, do reviews. Nintendo already has free advertising from exposure of the Youtubers audience which should in theory negate the need to request revenue. People don't watch AJ for Nintendo but they benefit when he creates videos about their games. It's honestly a simple concept that seems to be lost on defenders and Nintendo themselves. When you're in last place and can benefit from exposure it almost seems like a no-brainer but suits in Japan are dumb apparently.

Nintendo is always behind the times,  but this time it works in their favor.  

Youtubers feel as though they have the right to use other's product to make money, and most companies dont give a fcuk but if they wanted to, they could have every lets play video removed and reviews along with them that  showed prolonged portions of their content.   End of the day, youtube based advertising wouldn't matter much, as Nintendo already has a joint program with Smosh, one of the alltime biggest youtube channels, and I dont see them raking in the dough because of it.  smh

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

cycycychris said:
ToraTiger said:
cycycychris said:
Honestly, most the people who complain about this never made Nintendo videos. Nintendo already has special deals with small and big channels that have supported Nintendo in the past. Play through channels still cover Nintendo's game.

Pewdiepie and AngryJoe never play nintendo games. I will say that it almost sounded like Angry Joe might have been planning to review some Nintendo games. A bit of a shame since I would have liked to see at least one of them.

That all said, I still think Nintendo should back off and let these Youtubers do there thing.

Do their* thing = Using copyrighted material like they own it and make millions in ad revenue? 

This ain't no English paper, my grammer may not be up to par always..... sorry.

I know and in the past have acknowledge that Nintendo is in there full right to do this.... I don't totally believe that youtube = automatic sales. But I do think it gives your console and game more exposure that should affect them in a positive way. I think they should let people make the content with out these flags. I know the movie thing and all. But, for the type of games Nintendo makes, I think people playing them can act in a positive way. Watching Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon, I don't think people will say 'I've played the game now, no need to buy it'. I think it more adds hype to the game. But a game like the Order. I think that may have had negitive sales on the game since people probably just watched a play through of it since they didn't want to buy it, considering the negativity it got.

Nintendo has all right to earn money on the copy righted material. I just believe they should back off.

Obviously this could be some advertising for Nintendo, but I like them having the honor to not let their games be sold off as someone else's ad money. 

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

impertinence said:

For anyone still unsure about the real motivations at play here I suggest creating your own YouTube channel that just copies a bunch of this Angry Joe character's videos and interspace some jokes or whatever of your own in there, maybe some critiques of the episode and see how deeply he will appreciate all the 'free publicity'.

Just another hypocrite in the world who wants to make money off others work and whines when the owner wants to profit from their products. What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

Would rep if VGchartz had a rep button.  This x1,000,000,000,000,000

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew