By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My Defense to Nintendo's Youtube Policy

What profit are we even talking about?
Most people who profit from youtube channel does not use only nintendo games, they play everything. And they show off the product they bought for thier money. Like if I buy a pair of Nike's, I need to pay Nike for showing it on my YT channel, right? XD

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
i know. yesterday i was watching a film critic review a film and i was just soo angry that this guy be allowed to make a living by talking about someone else's copyrighted materials. life be just so much better if as a consumer i had no way to inform myself about a product until after i purchase it, amiright?

That makes absolutely no sense.  Show a trailer of the movie and talk about it, without showing anymore copyrighted content.  You dont need to see a movie to inform someone about it.  You're saying B.s

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

The funniest thing about this situation is this is like 10x better than the actual marketing Nintendo had for Mario Party 10, lol.

Nobody was talking about this game or gave two shits about it on the online gaming forums until this happened. 

Whether you get the point or not is irrelevant. Commentary is one of the things covered under fair use doctrine. Let's Plays are further shored up by nature of being inherently transformative (LPs are videos, not video games). Appropriately edited let's plays with an emphasis on player commentary and interactions are textbook fair use. It's not the same as a movie being aired on television. That is neither transformative nor falls under fair use. But if I were to do a documentary or analytical commentary making use of large clips of that film and aired it on TV, I would not have to worry at all about copyrighted content as those fall under fair use. I may have to navigate some trademark issues, but even that is unlikely due to the very specific nature of trademark law. Nintendo is in the wrong here, definitely in Joe's case. Now if a guy uploads a video with no commentary that is literally the core content/main story of a story driven game from start to finish, then you have an argument. But Joe's vids weren't that, not even remotely close. He followed all the guidelines of fair use and clearly did not use the content in such a manner as to have his vids constitute a substitute for the actual games. In short, Nintendo is in the wrong, not Joe.

Ruler said:
Agree, sony should do the same. Make an update with hdcp protection for gaming and make the share functionality with a playstation watermark so every content could be claimed by sony.
These lets play viewers who arent playing or buying the games are hurting gaming culture and industry

Thats a great idea!

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

The funniest thing about this situation is this is like 10x better than the actual marketing Nintendo had for Mario Party 10, lol.

Nobody was talking about this game or gave two shits about it on the online gaming forums until this happened. 

lol, I just wander how this will play out. And how "non-Nintendo" Youtubers will react to Nintendos next systems

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

I agree completely! People just like to Bitch about everything.

1doesnotsimply

ToraTiger said:
kitler53 said:
i know. yesterday i was watching a film critic review a film and i was just soo angry that this guy be allowed to make a living by talking about someone else's copyrighted materials. life be just so much better if as a consumer i had no way to inform myself about a product until after i purchase it, amiright?

That makes absolutely no sense.  Show a trailer of the movie and talk about it, without showing anymore copyrighted content.  You dont need to see a movie to inform someone about it.  You're saying B.s

it makes perfect sense actually!  in fact, i think nintendo is letting people off too easily by just having a youtube policy.   nintendo should develop some sort of manditory camera device that ensures no one is in the room watching me play without paying a viewing license fee.  $10 sounds fair for the privilege of watching a nintendo game being played by someone else,..  but $60 if they want to play too.

I actually support them wanting their share of the YT profits, but i think it should be lower, such as 15% or 20%.

The main problem to me in their YT program is "the list of games" you can use, and sending them the videos before to approval. Those 2 points need to go away.

The whole issue just needs 1 single sentence

Nintendo owns the IP and can do with it whatever they want no matter if parasites want to make easy money with it or not.