By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rate your top ten 3DS RPG's.

I havent played ten yet and im also counting xenoblade since it will be out in less then a week.

1.. Xenoblade Chronicles
2. Fire Emblem: Awakening
3. Tales of the Abyss
4. Monster Hunter 4
5. Pokemon X/Y

Thats it for now as I still have to get around to beating paper mario ss, M+L dream team, pokemon oras and persona q.

Around the Network

All of the ones I have played have all been incredible:

project X zone, bravely default, pokemon y, Mario dream team, fire emblem awakening.

I want to try out conception 2, etrian odyssey milleni girl, rune factory

1doesnotsimply

sc94597 said:

Insidb said:

When comparing them, BD takes a hit for making the whole second half of the game the first half over-and-owver again like 7 times. No numbered FF had that kind of "filler" to artificially lengthen the game. I compare it more to FFIII than FFV, because FFV was WAY more expansive than FFIII or BD: the game had three, distinct worlds that you explore (including the submarine locations). While I genuinely appreciate BD's hat tip to old school FFs (which we need more of, honestly), I can't put it on their level. It's also not that fair to compare a 3DS game to those that were on the SF, but you are right on the difficulty aspect: FFV was probably the last challenging FF, until FFX and FFXIII.

I guess it is a matter of breadth vs. depth for me. Sure, FFV felt like a broader game, but at the same time the places didn't feel like they had the same amount of depth and detail (like you said though it is unfair to compare the NES/SNES FF games to a 3DS game) as in Bravely Default. Each Bravely Default location felt unique and had a breath of life to it. The socio-politics of the story, while cliched at this point, were also much more interesting than anything in FF3/FF5. There was a lot to do that felt rewarding as well. I had a lot of fun collecting optional jobs and summons through bosses. I didn't really mind the second half too much either, because it was fun to use different job combinations that weren't available before on the same bosses. Sure it would've been better if the world were larger, but I felt like there was more to do in Bravely Default than in old school FF's. The battle system was a huge upgrade over FFIII and a moderate upgrade over FFV. The music was equally as good. And I mean in Bravely Default you always have options to end earlier at certain points in time, so the second half is avoidable to an extent. It's not like the true ending is that great and you can always watch it online. 

"Agnes' voice = super ugh"

Agreed. I searched the voice actress, and aparently she does a lot of anime dubs and is well liked. I don't know how that is the case though. I read a comment, "her voice sounds like a man trying to imitate a woman." And I agree 100% lol. 

BD battle system >>>>>>>> FF1-FF9 battle system (NOTHING changed lol). For the record, I loved BD (You made great points all around.), but it just didn't have the immersive and awe-inspiring impact of several of the others (by the end). Maybe I was just a neophyte lol.

Insidb said:

BD battle system >>>>>>>> FF1-FF9 battle system (NOTHING changed lol)

Yeah, the brave/default system was fun because it was simple while at the same time allowing for many different strategies (definitely a good alternative to the ATB system which became a staple since FFIV.) The Job System was much more rewarding/punishing in Bravely Default than it was in FFV as well. I don't know, I think I just like the battle system so much that I can forgive some of the pacing issues the game had. :D 

sc94597 said:
Insidb said:

BD battle system >>>>>>>> FF1-FF9 battle system (NOTHING changed lol)

Yeah, the brave/default system was fun because it was simple while at the same time allowing for many different strategies (definitely a good alternative to the ATB system which became a staple since FFIV.) The Job System was much more rewarding/punishing in Bravely Default than it was in FFV as well. I don't know, I think I just like the battle system so much that I can forgive some of the pacing issues the game had. :D 

It's a totally justifiable equivalence, very similar to this nonsense we saw with regards to Destiny's story and The Order's length this gen. 

Around the Network

Have only played 9, but Xenoblade will soon get that up to 10.

1. Fire Emblem: Awakening
2. Pokemon X/Y
3. Kingdom Hearts 3D (way underrated, 2nd fav in the series after II)
4. Bravely Default
5. Pokemon OR/AS
6. Monster Hunter 4 U
7. Etrian Odyssey IV
8. Mario and Luigi: Dream Team
9. Paper Mario: Sticker Star (only one here I didn't like)

1. Pokemon Y
2. Pokemon X
3. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
4. Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
5. Pokemon Omega Ruby

and that's all the 3DS RPGs I own. lol