By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IF the Wii U Zelda goes multiplat with NX, here's the problem(s)

Tagged games:

curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

3DS wasn't designed to be a unified platform though, I think NX is exactly that. 

3DS also has a very expensive 3D screen, something likely Nintendo will drop next time out. Dump that and you suddenly have a lot of money in your budget for a very powerful chip. 

And the 3DS for a chip that was intended for a 2010 launch, isn't that terrible of a GPU actually. It's not the best they could've used but it's far from the worse. 

So you expct NX to be a unified handheld counterpart to Wii U?

The handheld will be able to handle Wii U ports, maybe even being more powerful than the Wii U in certain areas. The console NX will be able to run the same games at home in higher resolution (maybe 1080p) with some better effects perhaps. 

That's what I expect. 

Really though even if we go by the standard Nintendo upgrade pattern 

GBA = Super NES (better than a SNES in some ways)

DS = Nintendo 64 

3DS = GameCube/Wii 

NX Portable = should be just shy of Wii U even if we take Nintendo's old road map as the road map of the future. 

It wouldn't take much for Nintendo to push that a little further and simply make the NX portable on par/better than the Wii U full stop. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
RolStoppable said:
1. Why would Nintendo do that? Gimping a game that was developed for Wii U hardware in the first place would be more work than delivering a polished game.

2. The same people would have had to buy Nintendo hardware in any case, and in this scenario they would still get Zelda for their already bought Wii U.

3. The result of this would be that such people buy hardware at the time Zelda comes out instead of buying a system years in advance. What's the problem here?

Holy crap, I actually agree with Rol. 

Whiny fans need to get over themselves. 

There's nothing wrong with more people getting to enjoy a great game and it helping Nintendo overall as a business (more copies sold, good launch title). 

Saying you need to keep a game away from other consumers to enjoy it is petty and childish. The Wii U is still getting the game, and NX may launch first as a portable (and later with a console variant), so it could be a very different type of device anyway. 

I don't care if the 3DS gets Mario Maker or if the 3DS got a port of Star Fox, even though I've waited 20 years for Star Fox. I'd be happy if more people got to play it. 

If it helps Nintendo as a business, they should do it. Don't let your business be held hostage by a couple of noisy, but minority little portion of the Zelda fanbase on the internet. If Zelda can help the NX launch and it's doable to port ... then do it. It worked great with Twilight Princess and the Wii, no one can deny that. 

There were GameCube fans very angry about TP being put on Wii too, and the "well they got Wind Waker" didn't really hold water either because in their eyes TP was the game Nintendo promised them since that Spaceworld 2000 demo. And to add insult to injury, Nintendo delayed the GameCube version a couple of weeks so Wii owners could play it first, lol. 

They got over it. 

Based on Wii U sales - I swould say many of them did not get over it-    Even delaying the purchase of a console from day 1 or year 1 till 2+ years later hurts a console-  Wii U sales died post launch once the delays started rolling in and have never really recoverd since

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

So you expct NX to be a unified handheld counterpart to Wii U?

The handheld will be able to handle Wii U ports, maybe even being more powerful than the Wii U in certain areas. The console NX will be able to run the same games at home in higher resolution (maybe 1080p) with some better effects perhaps. 

That's what I expect. 

Really though even if we go by the standard Nintendo upgrade pattern 

GBA = Super NES (better than a SNES in some ways)

DS = Nintendo 64 

3DS = GameCube/Wii 

NX Portable = should be just shy of Wii U even if we take Nintendo's old road map as the road map of the future. 

It wouldn't take much for Nintendo to push that a little further and simply make the NX portable on par/better than the Wii U full stop. 

I dunno, if NX does come out in portable form next year I have a very hard time seeing it match Wii U for specs...

Dunban67 said:
Soundwave said:

Holy crap, I actually agree with Rol. 

Whiny fans need to get over themselves. 

There's nothing wrong with more people getting to enjoy a great game and it helping Nintendo overall as a business (more copies sold, good launch title). 

Saying you need to keep a game away from other consumers to enjoy it is petty and childish. The Wii U is still getting the game, and NX may launch first as a portable (and later with a console variant), so it could be a very different type of device anyway. 

I don't care if the 3DS gets Mario Maker or if the 3DS got a port of Star Fox, even though I've waited 20 years for Star Fox. I'd be happy if more people got to play it. 

If it helps Nintendo as a business, they should do it. Don't let your business be held hostage by a couple of noisy, but minority little portion of the Zelda fanbase on the internet. If Zelda can help the NX launch and it's doable to port ... then do it. It worked great with Twilight Princess and the Wii, no one can deny that. 

There were GameCube fans very angry about TP being put on Wii too, and the "well they got Wind Waker" didn't really hold water either because in their eyes TP was the game Nintendo promised them since that Spaceworld 2000 demo. And to add insult to injury, Nintendo delayed the GameCube version a couple of weeks so Wii owners could play it first, lol. 

They got over it. 

Based on Wii U sales - I swould say many of them did not get over it-    Even delaying the purchase of a console from day 1 or year 1 till 2+ years later hurts a console-  Wii U sales died post launch once the delays started rolling in and have never really recoverd since

Err, what does Twilight Princess have to do with Wii U sales? 

The facts are there, moving Twilight Princess was a hugely successful move for Nintendo. 

5.8 million ish on the Wii and 1.32 million on the GameCube.

Would it have been smarter for Nintendo to keep it stuck on the GameCube alone? 

For me- I would not have a problem if the Zelda U game eneded p on the next console so long as it did not effct the timing of the release of the Wii U verson-

If they havve pushed the game back to release on the next console i would have a big probem with that-    

I m not sure yet why they pushed it but in no way do i beleive it was due to  the reasons gven so far 

Re Zelda, Game Cube and Wii U-  i just think Nintendo started losing some confidence among its base from moves like TTP, aspects of the Wii in general and many aspects re their efforts in the Wii U- early momentum is more important than ever when launching hardware ... at least home consoles.  I think Nintendo has eroded alot of confidence and faith among its core base- the ones that wold be most likley to buy a console soon after launch-   

Around the Network

We do not yet know what the NX will be...

Why so many people are assuming things about what it is is beyond me...

For all we know, the NX will be complimentary to the existing hardware, and won't release before long. So the assumption that it will get in the way of any Wii U release is at this point quite a stretch and, let's be honest here, quite a bit paranoid.

1. Move ZeldaHD to NX. There. No more gimped version.

2. Throw them TPHD.

3. People justify delays, droughts, unambitious games and overpriced dlc. They will find a way to justify it.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

And here's the other thing, IF it's multiplat, it will not be the best that it can be on Wii U, because it won't maximise the platform in the way only an exclusive can.

There are less than 10 million Wii Us sold. Among those who own one, many - including myself - would not be bothered by either a cross-gen Zelda or a new system releasing some time soon. Even if half of U owners are as sensitive as you say, Nintendo should ignore them and do everything they can to capture the 30, 60 or 100 million customers they've been able to snag when they get a system right. And if they do get their next system right I'm certain even those whiny 5 million will get over it and buy one.

No, there is no ssignificant problem with a cross-gen Zelda. Heck TLoU, GTA5 and pretty much every title of the last 2 years has been cross-gen.

But the point is most, because NX is probably a handheld that will absorb the U platform. You'll be playing Nintendo games on all kinds of devices using their unified platform.