By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You have 30 points. Use them wisely.

kinisking said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
HylianSwordsman said:

Maximum rating per category is 5

Oh I missed that part. Thanks for letting be know.

i really like the effort and how detailed your response was!

Agreed. I think OP is going to average the valid responses in the end, so I wanted his well thought out response to count.

Around the Network
HylianSwordsman said:
kinisking said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
HylianSwordsman said:

Maximum rating per category is 5

Oh I missed that part. Thanks for letting be know.

Agreed. I think OP is going to average the valid responses in the end, so I wanted his well thought out response to count.

Sorry to disappoint but I have no intention of averaging the responses.  I just find this interesting and fun.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Level Design: 4
Player Control: 4
Graphics Technology: 2
Art Direction: 2
Music: 5
Sound Effects: 1
Story and Lore: 3
World Building: 1
Game Pacing: 3
Game Length: 5

SmokedHostage said:
HylianSwordsman said:

Sorry to disappoint but I have no intention of averaging the responses.  I just find this interesting and fun.

Ah, sorry. You thanked the one guy with the graph earlier, so I was hopeful. 

kinisking said:

Thanks, kinisking!

Around the Network

Player Control: 5
Graphics Technology: 1
Art Direction: 4
Music: 4
Sound Effects: 3
World Building: 2
Game Pacing: 2
Game Length: 2

I'm now filled with determination.

Level Design: 3
Player Control: 6
Art Direction: 2
Music: 1
World Building: 8
Game Pacing: 2
Think turn based strategy. 

Updated stats - through cfin2987. 37 valid participants.

run away! 

Level Design: 5
Player Control: 4
Graphics Technology: 3
Art Direction: 3
Music: 2
Story and Lore: 2
World Building: 4
Game Pacing: 4

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

I'm going to note that the following is intended to show my interests in a game featuring a larger world to explore, such as RPG's, sandbox games, and certain action-adventure series like Zelda. Genres like Action, Platforming, Puzzle, and Strategy are not included.

Player Control: 3
Art Direction: 3
Music AND Sound Effects: 5
Story and Lore: 2
World Building: 3
Game Pacing: 4
Game Length: 4

I realize that I gave no 1's or 5's. That was unintentional.

Level Design is a bit hard to pin down for a larger in-game world, but things like the size and location of towns, dungeons, and other important places is important. So is the precise layout of those places, especially dungeons and similar locations that test the player.

Player Control needs to be at least a 2 regardless of genre. The reason I'm giving a 3 instead of a 4 or 5 is that many games with larger worlds are able to pull off their goals very well with surprisingly simple character control. The stereotypical JRPG features somewhat limited control of characters in battle, Link to the Past and Link Between Worlds had somewhat simple combat and actions compared to 3D Zelda games, Fallout 3 and New Vegas have fairly simple combat compared to other games with frequent shooting, etc.

Graphics Technology is not necessarily vital for many games, but presenting large worlds well requires sufficent tech. This includes long draw distances, being able to show large characters and structures, having larger groups of characters on screen at once, etc. Games like Xenoblade show that relatively simple graphics can be used well, but even that game needed quite a few impressive technical feats. Honestly, had I been given 31 points, this category would have gootten 3 points.

Music/Sound Effects are important for complementing or otherwise aiding other aspects of a game, but these two categories overlap somewhat. A game with great music can add atmosphere and associate feelings with various events and locations, as well as help inspire the player to play a bit more. Sound effects, however, serve more of a gameplay role by providing immediately important information and reducing the mental barrier between the player and world. In general, I'd recommend that games focus on one or the other depending on their specific design or setting. I generally prefer better music, but many  Bethesda-style RPG's benefit far more from sound effects than a constantly inspiring soundtrack.

Story/Lore is fun and can add value, but only a limited amount is necessary. This is best shown in games with less fantastic environments, which can mostly get by with a simple story and minimal context given. Story and Lore can be made into a more important aspect of the game at the expense of pacing and/or length if necessary.

World Building is useful, but seemingly living worlds are not always necessary. Though I do appreciate seeing crazy stuff happen on its own, having a more stagnant world can actually make many other things simpler for both the player and developer. It's a bit annoying to try and visit a merchant only to discover that roaming barbarians killed them and took their potions.

Game Pacing is often overlooked in games with larger worlds, but is at least as important here as elsewhere. For example, my favorite Final Fantasy game is FF4, as opposed to the more acclaimed FF6 and FF7. Though those games have more interesting stories and worlds, FF4 is great because there is constantly something to do that feels reasonably rewarding. In the first few hours of FF4, you get the setup for the game's story and world, go on a mission with the protagonist and his BFF, find a dungeon, beat a boss, witness the destruction of a town and major character turning points, begin Cecil's  journey of redemption by betraying his homeland to save an innocent, learn that his love interest needs his help, team up with another character on a joint journey to save respective loved ones, defeat another big and scary boss, find that the baddies are really on a warpath, meet another new party member with another character arc to undertake, do another dungeon and boss, and save the lady in question. After a few hours in FF7, you'll likely still be collecting the acessories necessary to help Cloud in his cross-dressing shenanigans.

Game Length is important for a game in a larger world because a short game simply makes its world feel smaller and less significant. Note that length should include things like sidequests in addition to the main story, especially in games that encourage players to poke around the many corners of a world.

Love and tolerate.