By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo should wise up and turn The Last Story into one of biggest RPG franchises

wasnt the guy who made last story not something else too which was canceled? that should be brought back to the table

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
If they are spending 1 billion dollars to buy a company who made a game that sold 640k on a console that has over 100 million sales... They may as well use that money to send all free hookers to wiiU owners instead cause that would be a more effective strategy imo!

Drinking is always so nice :P

Free hookers?? is this some sort of club Nintendo swansong?

Sorry, but i completely disagree.

The last story is an extremely boring game with hardly any gameplay. When attacking is done only by moving your character towards the enemy and he auto attacks and all the moves you got is to place a circle on the ground on what are tight envyronment very often felt like a colossal waste of time. I am totally not interested in a sequal unless it completely revamps the gameplay, and if it does, why should it be called the last story and carry the extra baggage?

Nintendo did the right thing by picking Xenoblade wich is the marriege of good gameplay with good story. Yeah, it has auto-attack aswell, but thats not what you are doing. You are using several on-use skills. Its also alot more fast paced.

With that said, i wouldnt mind if Nintendo employed Sakaguchi and uematsu. Mistwalker is a crap company though. They dont develop games, they just direct. 

I love Mistwalker. I really loved Lost Odyssey and if MS finds a way to iron things out with them long enough to make Lost Odyssey 2.... I'll go out and buy a X1 without hesitation. I don't think that Sakaguchi wants to be enslaved to another big publisher like they were under Square. He wouldn't get to make what he wants and he is enjoying the freedom he earned.

Having said that I'd really like to see what he could do with the Wii U. I think he'd be able to make a game even better than Lost Odyssey with it. Too bad he only has a small team and is heavily involved with Terra Battle. He'd need a ton of money to build a team to make his game.

Now here's another idea. Rather than just continuing TLS, Nintendo just regularly took up promising Mistwalker projects in general? For example, Cry On, which I believe was an action adventure title that was canned. Why not take up that for Wii U if possible?

Around the Network
Nem said:

The last story is an extremely boring game with hardly any gameplay. When attacking is done only by moving your character towards the enemy and he auto attacks and all the moves

The very first thing the game does is telling you that if you find auto-combat boring, you can swap it for a more traditional, button pressing system!

KyleeStrutt said:
Captain_Yuri said:
If they are spending 1 billion dollars to buy a company who made a game that sold 640k on a console that has over 100 million sales... They may as well use that money to send all free hookers to wiiU owners instead cause that would be a more effective strategy imo!

Drinking is always so nice :P

I've been told by Nintendo fans that Nintendo has like 1 trillion dollars in some cave in Russia what will make them survive for like 400 years or something.

One billion shouldn't be a problem, and even to celebrate they could use another billion to get 1000 million dollar hookers or one billion dollar hooker.

Not a "T-r-ILLION" it was "T-en b-ILLION"; you might want to take  your head out into the open air when you're having conversations with people, it'll minimise embarrassing mishearings in future.

Nuvendil said:Well I think that it is fair to say The Last Story does have more flaws than Xenoblade.  I've played both, and the first that sticks out for me is the melodrama.  TLS loves to pound them emotional drums, as early as the first segment.  Xenoblade is more subdued, mainly through subversion due to comic relief and its pacing, but maintains character development and complexity of philosophy and theme.  I'm not saying TLS is a bad game or a bad story, it doesn't deserve to be crapped on constantly, but the whole warm and fuzzy "it's all equal, just different" mentality that goes as far as to dismiss criticism doesn't help things.  Thoughtful critique can help a thing improve; dismissing critique altogether causes stagnation.

I will say that in most areas outside narrative construction and such, the two are mostly not legitimate candidates for comparison.  Gameplay and structure are wildly different, and preference is going to come down to taste.  However, that doesn't mean either should go without critique, it just means people should be more thoughtful and scrutinize each on its own rather than making useless comparison.

Yeah, definitely not saying each isn't without their flaws.  In fact i believe i already mentioned my quarms with tls.  And really i think with you're last paragraph we completely agree.  I just feel i rarely see actual critique.

Ultimately, as far as the comparison with Xenoblade goes(Wright), it came down to which game sold better, which game was more critically acclaimed, and which studio nintendo also owned.

Plus the OP is talking about OST. Which Xenoblade definitely trumped.

This reminds me that I still need to get a copy of The Last Story. Thankfully, the people at XSEED carry it on their online store.