By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Playing all Pokemon games for the first time - Just finished Crystal starting Emerald

So as my first Nintendo thread I think I'll make it a good one. I've decided to play all the main Pokemon games, not any of the console versions just the handheld games and only the Directer's cut versions since I assume there the best versions? I'll give a brief history of Pokemon and me. When I was about 9 it all started with the Pokemon anime, when I watched the first episode I was hooked and continued to watch it, I got into collecting cards aswell. Shortly after that my parents bought me my first Gameboy color and it came with Pokemon red (I don't even think I asked for it they just randomly got me it). To this day Pokemon Red is the only game I ever owned for the Gameboy color, playing Pokemon was enough for me since I played my SNES mostly. Anyway I was hooked on RED and played and beat it probably a dozen times, I caught all Pokemon, traded with my friend and literally did everything you could in it, including exploiting for glitches to get 99 master balls, I must of went through a 100 double A batteries.

So I was obviously obsess like most 90's kids but something happened and I just stopped caring about Pokemon completely and never watched the anime, traded cards or bought any new games ever since. But recently I decided to try Crystal to see if the old Pokemon addiction was still there, so I finished it yesterday and loved it, now I'm going to play all the main Pokemon games and I'll be asking for tips and tricks and I'll give a brief summary of what I thought about the game when I finish it. For now I'll write up a quick summary for Pokemon RED and Crystal on the post below.

I hope I get some support from you guys through this jouney I'm going on, since I game slow it's possible this thread could go on for a really long time, I'll have to revive it from time to time, I'm not to complete andy of the games just finish it with moderate grinding/exploring, if I complete the games this thread will be years long.

Around the Network

Pokemon RED

Pokemon RED was my first Pokemon game, it was very simple to pick up and play for the first time, I loved every minute of it. It was fun to battle and catch all the Pokemon, so many secretes and glitches it was hours of fun. The music was cheerful and easy to listen to besides Lavender town... it had its tedious moment like the caves and the endless hordes of zubats and geodudes, I remember the first cave you go through and you need FLASH to light it up and get through I had no idea how to get it at the time and I don't think I had internet then so I managed to go through the whole cave in pitch black dark, it was awful just guessing where to go, but that's just my stupidity. Anyway the final four and the champ was a good tough fight for me like it should and I overall just loved the game, I'll always be able to pick this up to play and know I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.  (BTW Charizard all the way!)

Pokemon Crystal

Not a whole lot different I can say about Crystal because it's basically a clone to RED/BLUE/GREEN/YELLOW, but with different people, locations and pokemon. It's kind of like Hangover 2 basically the same thing as the first. But not like thats a bad thing! So they changed a couple things they made it so it matters what time of day it is to catch certain pokemon, they added more pokemon and gave you all new towns. I very much enjoyed this game it brought back a lot of fond memories from Pokemon RED and I liked all the new Pokemon it felt refressing. I didn't expect a whole lot differnt since it was on the same platform as the original. Anyway I had fun playing it the end was extremely hard for me because of my stupidity again. I got to the final and four and for some reason I thought I was going to be able to heal and buy supplies after beating the final four before the champ so I saved right after beating the last of the final four with no potions, no revives, 3 pokemon alive, two with half health and most of them a few levels below Lances pokemon level, I was screwed! but I got lucky and found a pattern after dozens of times trying and managed to beat him. Very challenging! Anway fun game I'd easily play again.

Pokemon Emeral

To be continue

Pokemon Platinum

To be continued

Pokemon Black and White/Black and White 2

to be continued

Pokemon X & Y

To be continued

Gilgamesh said:

Not a whole lot different I can say about Crystal because it's basically a clone to RED/BLUE/GREEN/YELLOW, but with different people, locations and pokemon. It's kind of like Hangover 2 basically the same thing as the first.

Haha get used to it.

Good choice for some games! I started the series with Pokemon Red and like many kids in the late 90s, I was completely immersed by the world of Pokemon. Gen II solidified the Pokemon games even more for me because of how much they improved the formula.

Now despite this, Pokemon Emerald is actually my favorite Pokemon game of all time. Gen III is in many ways a reset for the series. It strips a lot of functions from previous games but also completely revamps the battle system. I absolutely adore the Hoenn region because it's tropical (I love tropical places..). Also, the soundtrack is amazing and its an OST that I still listen to. I think the reputation of Gen III has actually gotten better over the years as initially, a lot of people didn't like it just for how different it was but now there are plenty of fans.

Have fun with Emerald and hope you enjoy it :)

Just tagging to see the end in 2 years..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

there still another region to go to in crystal though, and the real final boss as well.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Cool, are you going to play the multi versions or just one per main series?

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Ka-pi96 said:
InnocentSin said:
Good choice for some games! I started the series with Pokemon Red and like many kids in the late 90s, I was completely immersed by the world of Pokemon. Gen II solidified the Pokemon games even more for me because of how much they improved the formula.

Now despite this, Pokemon Emerald is actually my favorite Pokemon game of all time. Gen III is in many ways a reset for the series. It strips a lot of functions from previous games but also completely revamps the battle system. I absolutely adore the Hoenn region because it's tropical (I love tropical places..). Also, the soundtrack is amazing and its an OST that I still listen to. I think the reputation of Gen III has actually gotten better over the years as initially, a lot of people didn't like it just for how different it was but now there are plenty of fans.

Have fun with Emerald and hope you enjoy it :)

Hmm, I wonder if that will happen for Gen 5 as well. Probably not, but you never know right.

Maybe, I do appreciate Gen V for what it set out to do and I did enjoy the games. However, it's my 2nd least favorite generation in the entire series. It was just forgettable to me but not a bad experience. But I think situations like this happen to everything (i.e., How the latest Zelda gets shit on but then a couple of years later, they realize it wasn't that bad and the new Zelda gets shit on instead).

Platina said:
Cool, are you going to play the multi versions or just one per main series?

Just one per main, it'll take me years to play them all, I just want the best of each gen and then move on.

I mean, if you're playing them one after the other, there's not much advice to give as everything is pretty straight forward. You're probably familiar enough with the types, too. The biggest thing is that the rules for battling change pretty drastically from generation to generation, so each game requires completely different advice.

Like for Emerald, I think my only advice is to only give physical type attacks (Normal/Rock/Poison/Fighting/Ground/Flying/Steel/Bug/Ghost) to Pokemon with a higher attack stat, and only give special type attacks (Water/Fire/Grass/Psychic/Dark/Ice/Dragon/Electric) to Pokemon with a higher Special Attack stat. So a move like Fire Punch is terrible on a Pokemon like Hitmonchan in that game, but great on a Kadabra, for example.

The other think is to never repeat types on a singular Pokemon. For example, Pikachu doesn't need Thunderbolt AND Thunder. Just choose one or the other. Since Thunderbolt is more accurate, it's smarter to use that one.