By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What If NX = steam machine made by nintendo

cfin2987@gmail.com said:

What if NX was a steam machine?

What if NX was a Coke machine?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

If its backwards compatible... It will use PowerPC... Steam OS and majority of the steam games run on x86... There is no way will this be backwards compatible and be a steam machine... Heck, there is 0 chance of it even being a steam machine even if it wasn't BC and I don't really feel like writing an essay as to why it won't...

But if it is... Then it still won't matter cause most games on Steam are windows only and are not on Linux/SteamOS so this wouldnt help at all and it would probably lead to greater risk of piracy

That's not necessarily true. It would bethe easiest way for sure, butit's possible to make it backwards compatible either with emulation (would likely require a pretty beefy machine), or too create an API designed for the specific purpose. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Jumpin said:
cfin2987@gmail.com said:

What if NX was a steam machine?

What if NX was a Coke machine?

^ ROFL.

Yeah I dont think the steam machine is the right way to go either. I know it wouldnt be how I tackled things if I was in nintendo's shoes.

They would need to fix the OS. Maybe have a custom Nintendo start up with their own store etc and then steam a seperate app. I don't want to be to welcomed by a grey OS when I start up a Nintnedo console. Steam is so ugly.

Soundwave said:

It probably wouldn't be as bad of an idea as some people think. The traditional console model doesn't work for Nintendo and I doubt it ever will again.

But they wouldn't really need Valve or Steam. They could do this on their own.

They could just release a box that had a PC GPU + CPU + say the Wii U or NX chipset integrated. RAM, disc drive, wireless, etc. is shared on the device. Release it in the West, screw Japan.

Third parties don't really have to "port" anything as their PC games would run on the machine by default. Nintendo could just set it up so that to buy a game you can only buy it through their eShop.

If a third party game sells, then the third party gets the profit with Nintendo keeping a $5-$10 licensing fee. Nintendo games just run straight off the NX chip. Works for everyone involved I think.

Have the standard NX whatever console, this could just be some additional form factor of it. 

This is exactly what i was trying to say, but people didn't get it.

Around the Network
teigaga said:
They would need to fix the OS. Maybe have a custom Nintendo start up with their own store etc and then steam a seperate app. I don't want to be to welcomed by a grey OS when I start up a Nintnedo console. Steam is so ugly.

Well yeah, I mentioned that it would be a seperate menu. ALmost like a steam app, and a nintendo OS seperate.