By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rank the Nintendo consoles/handhelds

Never liked handhelds so I'll just list home consoles.

From best to worst:

1: N64
2: NES
3: SNES
4: Gamecube
5: Wii U
6: Wii

Around the Network

Tier 1: Nintendo 64, Gamecube
Tier 2: Wii U, DS
Tier 3: NES, GB, GBA, Wii

Never owned SNES.

spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

SNES > NES > N64 > Wii > GameCube > Wii U (still in progress).

I only rank Wii above GameCube because of the two Mario Galaxy games (simply a tier better than anything on the GameCube).

Handhelds

DS > 3DS > GBA > Game Boy/GBC.

I'm older than most posters here though I actually grew up with all these consoles when they were new so I can judge them a little better IMO. 

GameCube is overrated IMO. Has the worst console 3D Mario and Mario Kart and the Zelda game while pretty was blatantly unfinished and rushed to market (they admit chopping out 2 dungeons and having the terrible TriForce bloated up). Nintendo was off their game that gen. 

Still think Wind Waker with two less dungeons and the triforce quest is better than any other 3D Zelda with a complete amount of dungeons, and none.I understand the sentiment that the GCN overrated though, even if I disagree. I think it's the N64 that's overrated.

I definitely don't think you being older makes you a better judge of them, though. I was born the year before Super Metroid came out, and my demographic has nostalgia for the N64, but I still grew up with the NES and SNES. (I had an N64 at the same time, but I played the other two way, way more.) I had access to the near complete libraries of both from the get go.

Well younger kids can't really know what it was like to be a Nintendo fan if you only grew up say during the GameCube era. 

I remember for example the days when we never worried about release dates because there was always plenty of games on Nintendo platforms, lol ... yes such a time actually existed prior to the N64. 

Soundwave said:

Well younger kids can't really know what it was like to be a Nintendo fan if you only grew up say during the GameCube era. 

I remember for example the days when we never worried about release dates because there was always plenty of games on Nintendo platforms, lol ... yes such a time actually existed prior to the N64. 

I mean, this isn't a rank of which consoles were tied to the best times to be a Nintendo fan. Droughts don't mean anything in retrospect.

Soundwave said:

When I grew up, we had a NES that we got for christmas 1989 and I also had a Commodore 64 that someone gave to me. There always way too many games and you never had the money for them, now I feel as if there are too few games I want but more than enough money.

It's harsh growing up as a nerd...

Around the Network

1. GameCube
2. 3DS
3. Nintendo 64
4. GBA
5. Wii U
6. DS
7. Wii
The only console I hated of those was the Wii.