By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo needs a Direct, N- Oh, wait. Never mind.

curl-6 said:
Sexualized content in Devil's Third and Bayonetta seems to feature grown women, the protag of Fatal Frame is a skimpily dressed teenager. Bit of a difference in image there.

As you point out though, the game did not sell gangbusters in Japan, and probably didn't recoup the cost of developing a HD title, so you'd think they'd bring it West and take what they can get, especially in light of their software droughts.

It's true value, however, is symbolic; localizing it would be a statement to gamers that Nintendo gives a crap about them.

Damned if I can figure out their reasoning...

I suppose that's true. But at that point they could just cut out some of the more suggestive costumes in the localization process.

I definitely don't think they profited off of the game. They'd have a much better chance if they brought it over, imo. 

Exactly. Plus, if a typical gamer looked at a Wii U game shelf and saw titles like Bayo 2, Fatal Frame, Devil's Third, Xeno X, ZombiU, etc. they could form a different opinion of the console. Nintendo simply can't hold games like these back when they're trying to repair their image. If we go the whole generation without FFV in the west, I'll eat my hat. They were able to get away with FFIV due to the Wii being supported better but they do not have that luxury with the Wii U. They can't sit on quality software; it would just be idiotic.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network
Skullwaker said:
curl-6 said:
Sexualized content in Devil's Third and Bayonetta seems to feature grown women, the protag of Fatal Frame is a skimpily dressed teenager. Bit of a difference in image there.

As you point out though, the game did not sell gangbusters in Japan, and probably didn't recoup the cost of developing a HD title, so you'd think they'd bring it West and take what they can get, especially in light of their software droughts.

It's true value, however, is symbolic; localizing it would be a statement to gamers that Nintendo gives a crap about them.

Damned if I can figure out their reasoning...

I suppose that's true. But at that point they could just cut out some of the more suggestive costumes in the localization process.

I definitely don't think they profited off of the game. They'd have a much better chance if they brought it over, imo. 

Exactly. Plus, if a typical gamer looked at a Wii U game shelf and saw titles like Bayo 2, Fatal Frame, Devil's Third, Xeno X, ZombiU, etc. they could form a different opinion of the console. Nintendo simply can't hold games like these back when they're trying to repair their image. If we go the whole generation without FFV in the west, I'll eat my hat. They were able to get away with FFIV due to the Wii being supported better but they do not have that luxury with the Wii U. They can't sit on quality software; it would just be idiotic.

Agreed, at a time when they are starving for software and suffering more than ever from the "box that plays Mario and Zelda" fallacy, holding back a mature game, especially one that actually makes good use of the gamepad, it foolish in my opinion.

curl-6 said:
Skullwaker said:

Agreed, at a time when they are starving for software and suffering more than ever from the "box that plays Mario and Zelda" fallacy, holding back a mature game, especially one that actually makes good use of the gamepad, it foolish in my opinion.

Well, the localiziation fo Fatal Frame would do little if their marketing team still have their heads shoved firmly up their own rears.  Drop FF from the picture and you still ahve W101, Bayo2, XCX, ZombiU, and Devil's Third, all non-staple core-orriented franchises, alongside Zelda, Star Fox, Smash, etc.  If Nintendo gave the Wii U a good ad campaign - not just each game for a few weeks before and after launch but a long, sustained campaign for the conosole itself - with a sizzle reel of these games, it would go a long, long, long ways to getting their image in good shape.  But if they don't create a campaign that counters the image, it won't go away.  That's all there is to it. 

Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:
Skullwaker said:

Well, the localiziation fo Fatal Frame would do little if their marketing team still have their heads shoved firmly up their own rears.  Drop FF from the picture and you still ahve W101, Bayo2, XCX, ZombiU, and Devil's Third, all non-staple core-orriented franchises, alongside Zelda, Star Fox, Smash, etc.  If Nintendo gave the Wii U a good ad campaign - not just each game for a few weeks before and after launch but a long, sustained campaign for the conosole itself - with a sizzle reel of these games, it would go a long, long, long ways to getting their image in good shape.  But if they don't create a campaign that counters the image, it won't go away.  That's all there is to it. 

The image will not go away, but it can be lessened.  Also, Nintendo giving players something they've been asking and campaigning for is good publicity.

curl-6 said:
Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:
Skullwaker said:

The image will not go away, but it can be lessened.  Also, Nintendo giving players something they've been asking and campaigning for is good publicity.

True, it certainly wouldn't hurt.  I'm just saying the problem is more deeply rooted in their marketing than their game selection. 

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

True, it certainly wouldn't hurt.  I'm just saying the problem is more deeply rooted in their marketing than their game selection. 

Agreed, I just reckon every little bit helps. A lot of gamers who feel neglected at present would be appeased by the symbolic value of bringing over FF.

curl-6 said:

Agreed, I just reckon every little bit helps. A lot of gamers who feel neglected at present would be appeased by the symbolic value of bringing over FF.

Honestly, there are a lot smarter choices than a niche game like FF when it comes to appeasing fans. There is, for example, a Mother 4 fan game currently being made to release this Summer. If Nintendo did what Capcom did with Street Fighter x Mega Man and released it on their consoles instead of allowing it to release on PC, that would be a far smarter, more significant, forward thinking, and relevant game to choose.

Thanks for changing the title.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Skullwaker said:
Thanks for changing the title.

curl-6 said:
Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

Ask (long enough :P ) and ye shall receive!  Also, SMT x FE was a nice touch too since it is so different from their other offerings.  They also cleverly shifted some release dates around to start patching some holes (Smash and Kart DLC in April with N64 VC, indies in May to lead into Splatoon).  The Smash Ballot was also a brilliant idea, imo.  If they bring all this to E3 PLUS info on XCX, Devil's Third, and Star Fox, PLUS more announcements for 2015, PLUS announcements for 2016 (Metroid plz), then Nintendo should REALLY hit it out of the park this year, much like last year.  Hopefully they capitalize on momentum better than last year if they do; a price cut and an ad campaign would do wonders after an exceptional E3.