By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analyst predicts price cut for the PS3 this summer

roadkillers said:
deadhorse said:

Let's see. This is the guy who said 64 bit games take twice as long to develop for as 32 bit games because they have twice the bits. This is the guy who said that World of Warcraft would fall down to 1 million subscribers in 2006. This is the guy who said that blu ray is going to be the reason Sony is number 1 this generation.

Well, I actually hope he's right. If Sony drops the PS3 to $500 I'll probably be able to get a 360 for $300.

I find it interesting, though, that the $500 PS3 didn't sell.

Sorry for the double post but no. Why would the 360 get cheaper if the PS3 gets cheaper? The 360 will get cheaper if Microsoft wants to sell more consoles with more of a loss.

I'm just guessing considering it's been a year and a half and we haven't seen a price drop on the 360 yet. How long does it take for consoles to drop their price normally?  Also, consoles tend to drop their prices pretty close to each other to remain competitive.  Assuming the PS3 did drop it's price it might put a dent in Microsoft's sales, they would probably need it.  They could also use it to compete agaisnt the Wii at this moment.  Plus, I read on these boards that they're not selling them at a loss any more.  I don't know if that's true, but considering it's been out so long--surely it must be cheaper for them to make by now?

Around the Network

Price Drops happen randomly. Never trust a company when there saying there gunna drop there consoles price. Microsoft said once the PS3 is out they will drop the price by 100 bucks. Never happened.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

I agree, I dont foresee it just because PS3 needs just a core system tha tplays games, with no add ons, DVD blue ray etc. If they come out with that they would be a contender. I just think MS is gonna be sneaky and help the demise of the PS3 , I think MS will play the waiting game and lower it when sony lowers theirs. But then again if MS feels threatened this holiday, by Wii , MS might be forced in a corner with Sony

Well no one believes me but like I said before Sony will not die if they keep SE making there major games for the PS3. The most anticipated titles for the PS3 are.... 1. Final Fantasy XIII 2. Metal Gear Solid IV 3. GTA IV Two of these are exclusives. I think MGS might end up going to the 360 also. So that leaves FFXIII the most anticipated title for the PS3. If they can keep SE then there fine. If you dont believe me here are the PSP's most anticipated titles.... 1. Final Fantasy: Crisis Core 2. God of War: Blades of Olympus 3. Castle Vania 4/5. Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition 4/5. Final Fantasy Dissidia The last two are both close for the anticipation. Square is big in the world of video games. These are just for America to just think about Japan. The only problem is if Nintendo gets DQX. Anyways even if the PS3 doesnt get a price drop if they get these games Sony will be fine.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

roadkillers said:
Price Drops happen randomly. Never trust a company when there saying there gunna drop there consoles price. Microsoft said once the PS3 is out they will drop the price by 100 bucks. Never happened.

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2002may/gam20020515011715.htm

Sony cut the price of its flagship PlayStation 2 console game system in the U.S. down to US$199, from $299. As well, the PlayStation 1 got chopped from $99 to $49. In addition, accessory prices on PlayStation 2 and the original PlayStation were also reduced.

Sony's price cuts come just days before Microsoft was expected to announce its own round of price cuts before the upcoming E3 gaming convention next week.

Yeah, they cut their prices to compete with Microsoft's price drop.  Microsoft could easily do the same thing to Sony.  I definitely see it happening.

Around the Network
roadkillers said:
deadhorse said:

Let's see. This is the guy who said 64 bit games take twice as long to develop for as 32 bit games because they have twice the bits. This is the guy who said that World of Warcraft would fall down to 1 million subscribers in 2006. This is the guy who said that blu ray is going to be the reason Sony is number 1 this generation.

Well, I actually hope he's right. If Sony drops the PS3 to $500 I'll probably be able to get a 360 for $300.

I find it interesting, though, that the $500 PS3 didn't sell.

Sorry for the double post but no. Why would the 360 get cheaper if the PS3 gets cheaper? The 360 will get cheaper if Microsoft wants to sell more consoles with more of a loss.

As of November of last year the premium 360 cost MS $323 to manufacture. In other words MS could drop the price now without taking a loss. Sony doesn't have that luxury. Later this year when both the CPU and GPU of the 360 switch over to the 65nm die size the 360 will be even cheaper to manufacture. Sony is the only console maker taking a loss on their hardware. Any cost savings MS or Nintendo make add to the amount they profit from their hardware, Sony isn't at the break even point yet.

Why is it desperatly clear that people want a PS3? I mean I have easy access to one that my roomate bought but no real use for it so far its been used to play Madden for about a month and Resistance for about 3 weeks I mean not saying the console is not entertaining or anything but based off that I don't think a lot of people want a PS3 right now and just can't afford it. To explain basically from a subjective viewpoint yeah I want games like FFXIII and Heavenly sword but if you dropped the price of the PS3 today I wouldn't go get one assuming I didn't have access because those games aren't here and there has been no supply issue for the PS3 since the first month of release. So yeah basically just curious where the assumption comes from that people want the PS3 but can't afford it. Also I believe I have read here and in various other places that the PS3 won't recieve a price drop until late 2008 which would make since as I believe at its launch the PS3 was losing around 240 dollars a console that seems like quite a bit to make up in just 6-8 months time maybe 50 dollars maybe but then again do you want to cut the price 50 dollars when you've just stopped losing more than 200 dollars for every system you sell I mean at that much of a loss Sony probably needs to sell 10+ games before making a profit even close to what Nintendo and Microsoft make on the sale of their systems anyways point is can't see a price drop doing anything other than harm to PS3 at this point and time.

"It's very clear that people desperately WANT a PS3" Yes, the sales figures make that very clear... oh, hang on a minute...no they don't. What's very clear is that a lot of people want a Wii - they're flying off the shelves. What's totally unclear is how many peolple want a PS3. Maybe people want one but can't afford it, maybe they just don't want one anyway, nobody really knows. A lot of core gamers may want the PS3 to varying degrees (I wouldn't throw one away myself) but that's a bit like saying a lot of geeks like StarTrek.

The 360 fanboys won't have anything to say once: -the blu-ray reigns supreme -the PSN gets its act together, which sony is committed to because they improve it all the time. -the manufacturing price of the PS3 goes down, which will drop more quickly as a % with the PS3 than the less expensive consoles, and sony is able to cut prices -HOME is released -Sony's better games are released later this year. Lets face it, up until now, sony has had a lackluster release of titles. Good titles can only help.

dallas said:
The 360 fanboys won't have anything to say once: -the blu-ray reigns supreme -the PSN gets its act together, which sony is committed to because they improve it all the time. -the manufacturing price of the PS3 goes down, which will drop more quickly as a % with the PS3 than the less expensive consoles, and sony is able to cut prices -HOME is released -Sony's better games are released later this year. Lets face it, up until now, sony has had a lackluster release of titles. Good titles can only help.

You forgot to add:

Pigs fly

Hell freezes over