By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo going mobile was NOT their most important announcement.

MakeAccountLater said:

You are probably right, but still... You also don't let children play with your toys for free, only to charge them small sums of money if they want to keep playing, right? With DeNa at the helm this is what we'll see as well.

What I would think is interesting myself is the rewards system you are talking about, but maybe even take it a step further. When you play (and pay) enough of their ftp titles on the app you get a virtual console game on any system for free (selected by the big N of course). Like this you would be able to build up a catalog of games you can play on a system you might not have yet, which could entice you to buy that system.

Now if this is one part of the program, meant for the casuals, Nintendo might as well make a program for their core audience which isnt interested in mobile. These people could pay a subscription price to get the same rewards as people who play a lot of mobile games withouth having to play the mobile games they so loath. They could get the same virtual console games this way.

Both types of accounts give you discounts on the eshop, but payed subscribers get a slightly bigger discount.

This is what I mean by that both can work next to each other.

But you are right that it might not be something they'd go for because of the image they want to uphold

No, like the program would be sweeping lol. It's available to everyone who owns a NNID, especially for console/handheld gamers. You'll be getting the same, and in many cases more, discounts through your dedicated gaming systems. I was just using the post to specify how the program could specifically be used to bring people from mobile or QOL to Nintendo hardware, but I'm sure that the primery focus of the rewards aspect of this program it to get players to play individual games more, and play more of them.

That's why it doesn't make sense to make a separate "core" rewards program. The entire point is to have one, uniform way to reward all Nintendo consumers across the board. Having two conflicting ways to do that with two inherently different goals is, well, conflicting. It doesn't make sense. The free-Steam like program works, in many ways, more for gamers than it does for anyone else. Nintendo doesn't need to force gamers to pay a subscription fee to gain access to a few NES games. You own 3 Mario games? Here's Mario 1, 2, and 3 for $1 each. Recommended Super Metroid to a friend? Now you can get the Metroid Prime Trilogy for 50% off.

It rewards players for actions that make Nintendo money by giving them ways to make Nintendo more money. A subscription model goes against that. It's likely why you'll likely never see Valve charging for Steam. Why would they need to? Valve makes tons of money from charging nothing for it, and Steam users will never shut up about all the deals they get from it. Far moreso than Plus or Gold.

Around the Network
ctalkeb said:

DeNA wasn't bought. Nintendo now owns 10%-ish of their stock as part of their business collaboration.

Edit: Woops, totally late to that party. OP, think you can edit that part of the text?

Yeah lol I'll change it now.

Soundwave said:

I think Nintendo said DeNA will help with the network, but it's something Nintendo themselves is designing and running. They made it sound like DeNA's involvement was more of a just in  a secondary role. 

The main reason DeNA is there is because Nintendo is not used to/can't supply the daily smartphone content that would keep people coming back to their apps, that's their main role.

Nintendo was moving in this direction even before the DeNA deal ... remember Miiverse being on PC/smartphones/3DS/Wii U/etc. 

Which is still the same thing that spemanig said. DeNA has the necessary infrastructure to build Nintendo's desired platform. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

torok said:
Your point has one big flaw. You can't put an app on the App Store that is, in itself, another app store. First, you can't install apps directly from another app on iOS (on Android you can, if the user manually sets the setting to allow doing so). Second, Apple refuses apps that sells goods that are being sold in any other app included on iOS (games, apps, music, etc).

On Google Play (and the App Store), you couldn't put an app and just allow people that have the Nintendo app to download it, since the only filtering option is by devices. What you could do, it to create a framework like PS Mobile and run the games inside it. The you could create what you are proposing. However, that still leaves you out of iOS since there the problem isn't just technical, but an App Store politic. PS Mobile wasn't available for iOS, most likely by this reason.

I also don't see how putting all your apps inside another one is good. Because you are basically removing them from Google Play and App Store, leaving them out of the search mechanism and from a SEO standpoint, that's just stupid (yes, PS Mobile on Android was stupid and that's why it's dead now). Downloading an app is simple like> open Google Play/App Store, search for it, download it. Adding an extra step will just get you less downloads. It's easier to just add a mandatory NNID login to the apps and a button to see other Nintendo apps there. However, making the guy create a NNID just to play a game also will drive people away. In the mobile market, people want instant gratification. You would be surprise at how easy it to turn an user down.

Despite how creating an accounting system that isn't tied to hardware and allowing cloud save, cross-buy and cross-save is good, you are assuming that these things will set the world on fire even if they are available on all competing platforms right now.

In the end, the image you posted just indicates that:
- They will have a separate handheld and home console system.
- They will have a Nintendo app and games for smartphones.
- They will have an unified account system that isn't tied to hardware.
- Probably a lot of cloud services.
Why isn't this a revolution? Because PSN and Live are doing this for years. If you get any combination of PS3/4/Vita, you already used all of the above.

There's an app on iOS right now called Gree that does just that though. It allows you to purchase games specifically through their portal. I should know. I hav the app.

Once it becomes common knowledge that you can buy all your Nintendo games through the app, that problem evaborates. People will just associate Nintendo gaming through the app, the same way they associate Nintendo gaming to their hardware now. As Word with Friends proves, people are more than willing to create an account for something that is culturally relevant. If the game is important enough to people's social lives, regular people have no problem spending a minute to create a username and password. Once they own the app, downloading a Nintendo game would be as simple as boot up the app > Search, buy the game, download it. It creates uniformity.

Frankly, PSN and Live did it terribly. It didn't set the world on fire because the efforts weren't good and their IP aren't even remotely strong enough to do something like this. No one cares, on a macro scale, about the Vita and it's connection to the PS3/4. No one cares about using their PS app everyday. I owned the Live app. I had a Windows Phone and created a Live account for it. The service sucked. If Nintendo pulls this off, that, in and of itself, is the "revolution." (Your words, not mine.)

I want to be clear though, this thread isn't predicting if this will be successful, or revolutionary, or not. This is just meant to say "this is what Nintendo is thinking." This is what Nintendo was likely planning when they made these moves. This is where their embitions likely lie, based off evidence we already know and some educated guessing.

Tachikoma said:
Sharu said:

Not drooling over every last crumb of vaugly positive news = hater? righhht.

DanneSandin said:

This.

You can call me a hater when you buy a WiiU, poser.

User was moderated for this post - Conegamer

WOW!!! This has to be the lamest Ban I've ever seen on any site in my many years of internet forums.

This site can't even get numbers posted up from weeks and weeks ago.

Yet the Moderators can start and will let sexually explicite threads about their own sexuality go on forever (yes I have seen it before).

This site has just become so lame now and I've been a member for 5+ years.

Bye VGChartz!

FootballFan - "GT has never been bigger than Halo. Now do a comparison between the two attach ratios and watch GT get stomped by Halo. Reach will sell 5 million more than GT5. Quote me on it."

Around the Network
Cloudman said:

Can I put this in the OP? Lol, this is brilliant.

Cloudman said:

Perfect analogy.

spemanig said:

There's an app on iOS right now called Gree that does just that though. It allows you to purchase games specifically through their portal. I should know. I hav the app.

Once it becomes common knowledge that you can buy all your Nintendo games through the app, that problem evaborates. People will just associate Nintendo gaming through the app, the same way they associate Nintendo gaming to their hardware now. As Word with Friends proves, people are more than willing to create an account for something that is culturally relevant. If the game is important enough to people's social lives, regular people have no problem spending a minute to create a username and password. Once they own the app, downloading a Nintendo game would be as simple as boot up the app > Search, buy the game, download it. It creates uniformity.

Frankly, PSN and Live did it terribly. It didn't set the world on fire because the efforts weren't good and their IP aren't even remotely strong enough to do something like this. No one cares, on a macro scale, about the Vita and it's connection to the PS3/4. No one cares about using their PS app everyday. I owned the Live app. I had a Windows Phone and created a Live account for it. The service sucked. If Nintendo pulls this off, that, in and of itself, is the "revolution." (Your words, not mine.)

I want to be clear though, this thread isn't predicting if this will be successful, or revolutionary, or not. This is just meant to say "this is what Nintendo is thinking." This is what Nintendo was likely planning when they made these moves. This is where their embitions likely lie, based off evidence we already know and some educated guessing.

Gree is a social network. It only gives you a bunch of links to the App Store itself. They can't sell games there, because Apple isn't allowing it. No way, never. Re-check your app. Apple wants their 30% and you have to give it. They won't let someone sell 10M downloads of a US$ 10 game and just lose US$ 30M.

PSN and Live did it terribly? You are basically saying that Nintendo should do the same things Sony and MS did 3 to 8 years ago and claiming it will be a revolution. Right now, Nintendo isn't even providing the same level of funcionality that PSN provided in 2009. They are far, far behind in infrastructure and most things you posted are just features I have on my PS consoles since some years. Cross-buy? 2012. Cloud save? Don't have idea, bought a PS3 in 2011 and it already had it. They are still catching up with party chat here.

I would like to see you clarifying why PSN and Live sucks when doing things that Nintendo simply don't have. They can't even make an account system that isn't tied to a piece of hardware in 2015. I also did had a WP. The service was alright, it had achievements (something the Wii U don't have), purchases not tied to hardware, avatars, etc. The big problem here isn't just bringing it to mobile, but making the Nintendo Network be remotely close in functionality to PSN and Live. The problem is that the other are always bringing new features. So while you are adding basics like party chat, the other have gane streaming, sharing, social features and remote cloud gameplay.

Even the slides you posted, just show a unified accounting system shared by multiple devices. That's PSN and Live. The only new thing there is the QoL part that uses extra sensors in people's houses. You're just massively exagerating what is mostly catch-up and what just confirms that Nintendo wants to have another home console and handheld, while NX is probably the new handheld device.

I don't think we can see that as anything different than Nintendo getting ready to the fall of the handheld market and to get the sales potential of mobile devices. They don't need to put everything on a walled garden inside an app: just make the games with the IPs, people will buy and play. Some of them will like it and may buy the home console to play the bigger versions. That's it, simple and effective.

The Nintendo app, if they launch it, will be more like the PS app. See your messages, see your friends, etc. Easy and convenient.

The idea is good but i don't think that Nintendo would even want that to happen.
Sharing a NNID between games, letting it record what you do or achieve and then letting you analyse all that in a single menu (accessible wherever) is probably what Nintendo is aiming for.

Even if Apple and Android would agree on having a Nintendo marketplace within their own systems, that would automatically reduce the exposure of Nintendo games because they wouldn't be visible from the get go. And what Nintendo wants is simplicity and exposure.

Nintendo could just create a unique NNID app that allows you to see your account and Nintendo's other offers (without being able to buy stuff) - an info channel if you will - that can be accessed via in game if you wanted.
But that probably would be too complicated?!

Nintendo going mobile is basically part of its own merits ... Nintendo simply stands to make a ton of money by doing so.

I think it really is just that simple.

If a few more kids decide to buy a Nintendo dedicated portable or console as a result, that's just icing on the cake, but it's not the cake itself.

In a couple of years it's quite possible mobile games will be the no.1 money maker for Nintendo, they need DeNA to keep those games running, Iwata has said they're aiming to leverage their existing IP into several smartphone titles that are big hits.

I tend to be cautious about getting overly grandoise about things like Nintendo's online services ... remember when people were touting Miiverse as some kind of huge game changer? Lets be real, even if there is a service like the one outlined in the OP, "being as important to someone as their Facebook or Twitter app" is a massive, massive reach.

Game sharing, unified network ID is something Sony has been doing for ages, this is more like Nintendo (as per usual) being about 8-9 years late to that party.