By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Ocarina of Time ever Be Surpassed and When?

The Last of Us is now considered the greatest game of all time.

Around the Network
onionberry said:

This November, by Zelda WiiU

I completely agreed...at least it's my biggest hope

Probably never, not just that is superb game but introduced so many new stuffs that later become standards in gaming industry (with Mario 64 probably most revolutionary game ever).

Lawlight said:

By whom? Because I personally value Uncharted 2 more than TLoU, for example.

It can only be surpassed if the review scale can go beyond 10 out of 10. Because todays 10 out of 10 is 8.5 out of 10 at best.

We probably need 15 out of 10 games before something like surpassing OOT can happen.
I mean when the crap ps3 version of TLoU has the same score as the much better remaster it shows that the inflation of review scores is quite severe.

Around the Network
contestgamer said:

OoT is still the game most widely considered to be the greatest of all time in most annual GOAT game countdowns. Obviously opinions differ and you might think it has already been surpassed, but the question is - when do you think a game will come along that will surpass OoT as far as being more widely considered as the greatest game ever?

OOT isn't the greatest game of all time simply on mechanics or gameplay. It's considered that because of how revolutionary it was. Back when I played it for the first time, it blew my mind in a way that has only happened once before and that was the first time I had ever played SMB in the 80's as a kid. It was really THAT mind boggling.

So, when will we see another OOT? Probably when VR takes off. There will be some game that just changes the way we think about gaming. Until then, nothing really stands a chance cause playing a 3D games on a game console will never be as innovative and fresh as OOT was.

Wright said:
Lawlight said:

By whom? Because I personally value Uncharted 2 more than TLoU, for example.

Subjective indeed, never really liked Ocarina of Time much, I've never completed it. Uncharted 2 was better than TLoU as a game, TLoU had a better story.

Thing is, I think a game like OoT needs to be reviewed in new eyes. Someone who doesn't know the heritage it holds before reviewing it. This is judging it as well on modern reviewing, ignoring graphics obviously.

Hmm, pie.

Ocarina of Time is fundamental to 3D game design... Its creation was like the discovery of the wheel... FUNDAMENTAL to our modern world... BUT a wheeled cart on its own is kinda comical in the age of automobiles.

Wind-Waker however, that is a gem.

Wii-Sports or some VR game may dethrone it in the history books though. Or Kirby Canvas Curse when it becomes a matter of academia...

I consider Ocarina of Time as one of the game of his generation. There are games that just mark you for each generation. For me:
Nintendo Era: Final Fantasy I, Super Mario 3
Super Nintendo Era: Sonic 2, Final Fantasy III (really known as FF VI), Mario Kart
PS and N64 Era: Ocarina of Time, FF VII, Mario 64, Super Smash, Goldeneye
PS2 Era: Omnimusha 4, Devil May Cry 3, Metal Gear Solid 3,
PS3 era: Mario Kart Wii (The game I have had the most fun ever, playing locally with 3 other people), Modern Warefare 2 (I was never a big fan of FPS until that game), Uncharted 2 and The Last of US.
It really is hard to say that this game is the GOAT, for the past 2 years it felt like that title belongs to the Last of US.

lol it's funny how ocarina of time "it's not that great anymore".......