By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Ocarina of Time ever Be Surpassed and When?

Ruler said:
Ocarina of time was a lucky game who was only reviewed by 22 reviewers, metacritic is also owned by gamespot who is american centric. I am pretty sure if you take all site from all countries in the internet you will see a different result.
And you would defentiatly see a different result if you put magazines into the score as well. Those 22 reviews are sites not magazines, most people didnt have internet when this game came out.

That doesnt explain why OOT dominates GOAT lists today as well. 

Around the Network

I just think that no game will come along that has done so much for its respective genre. I mean, OOT did so much for many games to come. It's hard for new games to be truly new because most of new gaming owes its mechanics to the first eras. Something like OOT just hadn't been done before at that time. But today, something like Uncharted or any open world game is typical fare. OOT just had very little room for failure.

I'm pretty sure there are many many review scores missing that would drag that average down. I mean official Nintendo Magazine UK only gave it 98% ;p

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Ljink96 said:
I just think that no game will come along that has done so much for its respective genre. I mean, OOT did so much for many games to come. It's hard for new games to be truly new because most of new gaming owes its mechanics to the first eras. Something like OOT just hadn't been done before at that time. But today, something like Uncharted or any open world game is typical fare. OOT just had very little room for failure.

It had a lot of room for failure, more so than any modern game.

Remember Castlevania 64? Sonic on the Saturn? Earthworm Jim? 

;)

Samus Aran said:
Ljink96 said:

It had a lot of room for failure, more so than any modern game.

Remember Castlevania 64? Sonic on the Saturn? Earthworm Jim? 

;)

Not really, considering it was built upon the base of Mario 64, with almost five years in the pipeline to get everything right. Even the story was taken from another game rather than crafted from the ground-up. It was built to succeed, and built to be a safe jump to 3D. The only chance for failure was had Z-Targeting not been created. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!