By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 HDMI issues

I'm having trouble with HDMI and my PS3. I got my PS3 back in December on my birthday. I had orderd a Psyclone HDMI cable off ebay to go with the PS3 because I heard they were high quality cables. When my parents finally gave me the cable and PS3 on my birthday, I instantly went to test if the HDMI cable worked....nothing but static. It was a mixture of Red Green and Blue. Not the whiteish gray static that you get with SDTVs without a RF cable in them.

I told my mom to inform the seller on ebay...and while I was testing it and moving around the cable, I got it to work. She had already sent the guy the message and he ended up sending us another cable. I was enjoying the HDMI cable and all. Moving it around in certain positions got it to work. As soon as the second HDMI cable came in, I tested it out...same issue, except this one I couldn't get to work no matter how many times I moved it around.

No problem...since I got the first one working and all, right? No, every once in a while, ranging from days to weeks...sometimes a couple of months...the thing just craps out and does the same thing with the static. So I switch back to component for a while and after a while test out to see I can get the HDMI cable to work. I'll get it to work again...cool, but it will just crap out again.

Both of these cables were used, but they seemed to be handled pretty nicely. Nothing I noticed wrong with them. Do you guys think I was had? Is it the cables? Or is it my PS3 or HDTV?

I have a 60GB PS3 and a 42" 1080p Aquos Sharp my parents got back in January of 2007. That's really all the details I can give. I told my Dad and he plans on getting a different HDMI cable to see if it was just the cables being crappy quality...what do you guys think? Is it my PS3, the cable, or the HDTV?

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

Around the Network

Not too sure!

To be safe i would contact Sony anyway and see if there is any help they can give you, and possibly replace your PS3 with another one since it could be a fault with the HDMI socket itself!

Would I get my 60GB back though? No way do I want to give up my BC....

Yeah, contact Sony too.

I use the HDMI cable I got from Bestbuy (Rocketfish I believe), I haven't had any problem with it.

Also, google the issue around, see if anybody else experienced the same problem.

EDIT: I would recommend go to bestbuy and buy a Monster Cable and test it out (return it after if you want), just to see if it's the HDMI cable issue or your PS3 

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

You would probably get a refurbished 60GB model (as in another persons console that broke and was fixed) they would let you know what you would be getting anyway!

Around the Network

I've tried. I suspected it might be the TV, so I searched it up and found nothing. I searched everything possible about my problem...and I seem to be the only one with the issue. So it makes me believe it is either my cable or the PS3...so I guess I'm going to try a different cable first and if it does the same thing...I guess I'll have to contact Sony.

Good thing is that the Sony customer service is apparently very good!

Here in the UK if your console needs replaced you get a replacement brought to you via courier and the old one taken away in about 1-2days :D

That's good to hear about UK...not so much the US. I haven't dealt with Sony customer service before because I've NEVER had a problem with my products from them. Their products are truly the highest of quality in my experience. So that's good on my end.

Anyway, I've had a friend who had their PS3 disc drive die...they had to deal with customer service and at first they sent the PS3 box to the wrong state! They compensated by sending another box to the right place without shipping charges...but she said talking on the phone with them wasn't very pleasant either. She didn't really like the customer service of Sony at all.

I wouldn't be surprised that UK's is good...after all, customer service in the US has never really been that good XD Probably because the employees hired just don't care.

Go buy a $6 HDMI cable at Fry's or online from a retailer like New Egg of a different brand (were the other two cables the same brand). That will be a cheaper and less troublesome way to test what is the problem. If it doesn't work, you are out $6.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I'm going to have to go with online. I live like 5 hours from Dallas...I'm not going to drive that far just to get an HDMI cable from Fry's....or deal with the traffic in Dallas.