By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: 8th generation is the worst generation in video game history

Tachikoma said:
Pavolink said:

Better graphics, textures, estable fps, interface changes (touchscreen and motion controls), tweaked boss battles and bomber's notebook, hero mode (diificulty) added, two games in one (OoT + Master Quest) revamped difficulty and mirror mode.

So, basically the same changes made to many of the games listed for XB/PS4 then?

"better graphics"
"stable framerates"
"new textures"
"interface changes"
"Tweaked gameplay"
"New difficulties"

Those are virtually all the same changes for the games I listed, too, yet somehow theyre magically different when it's zelda? come on.

And I hate to break it to you, but aster quest isnt a whole new game, its just a port of a previously release game mode, if that counts as "two games in one" then games with multiple difficulties count as multiple games in one, and games with randomly generated or procedural levels are infinite in one.

Basically, you are saying Zelda remasters are different then stating the exact same changers that were made in the games I listed, as if theyre somehow different.

They aren't.

They are older games, which I have told many times is the main reason for a remaster. And if you read once again, I have said those Zelda remaster, included ALBW are just cash in, just like the ones you mentioned.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Pavolink said:

They are older games, which I have told many times is the main reason for a remaster. And if you read once again, I have said those Zelda remaster, included ALBW are just cash in, just like the ones you mentioned.

Age doesnt matter, reusing an old game and making the listed changes doesnt change what it is, just because more time has passed.

If you take something that already exists, and make changes to it, and sell it again for a new console, you are doing the same thing for the same result, the only way "age" effects this is in peoples attitudes towards it, but ultimately, remastering a 10 year old game and remastering a 1 year old game is the exact same thing, you are taking an existing game, making the same changes for the express purpose of rubbing off the dust and making money.

Many of you wrote that the DreamCast had sooo many great games in the same timeframe. But if this is based on the US launch... with the shifted launch the developers had a whole additional year to get their ducks in a row.

So which great games had the DreamCast in the same timeframe counting from the Japan launch (November 1998 - March 2000)? Which of them were "real next-gen games" instead of cross-gen games or games planned for the Saturn?

I love this generation so far. Its off to a better start than the 7th generation. 8th gen is only 17 months old and is already on its way to stardom with the new release of Bloodborne to lead the charge of great AAA titles in 2015/2016 and who knows what else we will have during 2016 and beyond.

People should stop complaining about their imaginary problems and quit asserting their uneducated opinion as fact when you have been catered to as a gamer like an over-spoiled little shit.

User was moderated for this post.

--Veknoid_Outcast

For Nintendo, I'd say it started going very well after the release of Mario Kart 8.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network

This is in response to the OP... what you have to understand about this generation is that the cost of making AAA games has exploded and companies are scrambling for ways to stay profitable. Several have already dropped out. Think about how many publishers there used to be and now there's just a few, and they're afraid to take risks. Look at how Square Enix said they lost money on Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Sleeping Dogs even though they all sold close to 10 million copies each. That's what's crazy and it's what led them to doing the "remastered" versions.

With fewer publishers and with higher budgets come less games. That's just the sad fact of it. The good thing is that we're in a renaissance of independent games. There are more great games being put as downloadable titles that do do new things and innovate. You just have to know where to look.

What I'm looking forward to in this gen is Virtual Reality. That's where PS4 will really set itself apart.

This gen barely even started,

On the point of remasters. We started getting them around mid last gen (and they were titles of the previous gen). For most developers and studios, this was a newly discovered money maker. So going into this gen, it's now a thing that exists from the start (and of games released last gen). So it's not some new problem per se. If you have a problem with remasters today, you should have had a problem with them last gen. Generally, they were positively received.

However, it's not static; we use to get collections and now we get single remastered games. Granted that the remasters released today were late last-gen titles so it makes sense to be released on their own as they are still relatively new. For older games getting remasters, we perhaps have a case of this getting steered into the most cash grabbing sense. We saw this with DLC over the years, including last gen.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

The generation that has bloodborne can't be a bad one.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

If the OP focused the majority of their ire on DLC, I'd totally understand. But remasters? Not so much. I was agreeing with the first paragraph, but then it lost me by paragraph two. I don't buy DLC but I'd buy a remaster if I've never played the game before, and I see no problem with buying the original game as well as its remaster if you really enjoyed it. They're just ports. In many ways, they're just one more 'platform' in the term "multiplatform."