By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think I figured out why PS4 is really winning in sales against XB1.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
rolltide101x said:

I agree but a bundle does not have quite the same appeal as a lower price point. I think going into Christmas this year they will both be 349$ the PS4 will come with 2 games (The Last of Us: Remastered and "X") and the Xbox One will have a 3 game bundle.

True. Sony could wreck Microsofts Black Friday (or even their holiday season) for once by dropping the PS4's price to $350. If Sony matches price with Microsofts wider market price consumers will go PS4 over the One. The hype is already in their corner. It would just add insult to injury.

Or drop it by 100$ lol 

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

True. Sony could wreck Microsofts Black Friday (or even their holiday season) for once by dropping the PS4's price to $350. If Sony matches price with Microsofts wider market price consumers will go PS4 over the One. The hype is already in their corner. It would just add insult to injury.

Or drop it by 100$ lol 

LOL You just want to see them blow their load, don't you? LOL That wouldn't be profitable and Sony cannot take that right now.

To answer the thread, Sony has the best marketing, best reputation, best brand loyalty, best consumer trust and they live up to their slogan #4theplayers. It's no surprise that they are dominating.

Kerotan said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Or drop it by 100$ lol 

MS dropping the Xbox One price again is completely unfeasible though (I know you were joking lol)

Sony can drop the price of the PS4 because GDDR5 ram is getting cheaper. MS does not have this luxury, if they drop the price again they would lose 100$ on each system if they bundle it which they would not do. Sony could sell the PS4 for 350$ with 2 games and make a small profit/break even.

Just realized you meant Sony dropping it by 100$ lol. Also not feasible XD

kowenicki said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

There is zero indication that IGN lumped in PS2 numbers. It was based on an analysis from the IDC. They were saying that its amazing the PS3 was able to accomplish outshipping Microsoft while Microsoft pretty much outsold for years. As for the 360 it does have better legs, but its best legs are in fourth quarter. No one is denying Microsofts ability to sell the 360. I was only bringing to light the fact that the PS3 is a dominant brand and its because of that dominance why they were even able to salvage the the PS3 generation even though they personally won for themselves by saving the PS3 and Blu Ray in one fell swoop. 

IDC lumped in PS2 numbers and made a simpe and basic error.  It was discussed at length at the time and subsequent official numbers proved those numbers incorrect.

But I understand your main thrust so I will leave it at that.

Has to be said though that the 360 is entering its 11th year in November, still in production, still shipping decent numbers.  Nobody would have believed that at the outset of this gen.  Its quite an achievement when you consider it was up against the phenomenon of the Wii and the Playstation brand.

Interesting. I will look into that.

As per the bolded...

It could be believed. Shane Kim put Microsoft on a path to mimic Sony's ten year plan. He initially set a seven year plan and then with the help of the Natal raised the expectation to match Sony's 10 year plan. Its predictable that they will follow Sony until their 10th year which would Microsofts eleventh next year. 

I sent Rolltide an article earlier about when Shane Kim revealed their version of Sony's ten year plan in 2009. Its a couple pages back. You'll be able to find it there.

Around the Network
rolltide101x said:
Kerotan said:

Or drop it by 100$ lol 

MS dropping the Xbox One price again is completely unfeasible though (I know you were joking lol)

Sony can drop the price of the PS4 because GDDR5 ram is getting cheaper. MS does not have this luxury, if they drop the price again they would lose 100$ on each system if they bundle it which they would not do. Sony could sell the PS4 for 350$ with 2 games and make a small profit/break even.

Yeah I meant sony.  I expect MS to be at 299 this xmas or at least for black Friday.  Sony will probably be 349 but black Friday maybe 299. I think they can afford it given that would be 24 months after launch.  

rolltide101x said:
Kerotan said:

Or drop it by 100$ lol 

Yep. The Xbox One shouldn't even be at $350 as a price point right now, but they have to survive Sony's dominance. Microsoft as an overall company can offset the $350 price cut for now but if they ever dropped it to $300 before late next year their shareholders would flip.

Lets all be honest here... No one knows the real reason why the PS4 is outselling the XOne. We're all just guessing.

Kerotan said:

Yeah I meant sony.  I expect MS to be at 299 this xmas or at least for black Friday.  Sony will probably be 349 but black Friday maybe 299. I think they can afford it given that would be 24 months after launch.  

There is no way for MS to cut 50 more $ off the production of the XBOne by Christmas. If it is 300$ at Christmas they will be taking a 100$ loss on each console. It is not feasible from a hardware standpoint. 

As I said Sony can get down to 350$ because of prices dropping of GDDR5 ram, there is nothing in the XBOne thats price is going to go down signifcantly over the next 8 months. Next year I would expect them both to get down to 300$ because I am sure they will have a smaller, cheaper, and more efficient APU. That is not happening on either this year

rolltide101x said:
Kerotan said:

There is no way for MS to cut 50 more $ off the production of the XBOne by Christmas. If it is 300$ at Christmas they will be taking a 100$ loss on each console. It is not feasible from a hardware standpoint. 

He's talking about just for holidays though right? Last holiday you could get an XBO for $320, pretty sure that came with a game aswell.