By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think I figured out why PS4 is really winning in sales against XB1.

FloatingWaffles said:
Captain_Tom said:
There is no ONE reason. The fact is the PS4 has:

1) Better Hardware
2) Better Games
3) More Games
4) A far stronger brand

Xbox never had a chance.

Most if this is debateable/and or your opinion though. 

No its not at all debatable, Ps4s superior hardware is a simple fact.

It has more better rated games (shows in post 1), not opinion or debatable.  Its just math, aka 3>2

None in their right mind would fanthom xbox the bigger brand.  

Around the Network
rolltide101x said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

"We firmly believe that the Xbox 360 has a life cycle through 2015 (10 years after the launch)," explained Microsoft exec Shane Kim.  

Hrm. We could have sworn we heard that before. 

OH RIGHT. Sony's been saying that for eons about the PS3.

http://kotaku.com/5278451/xbox-360-will-have-ten-year-life-span

Life span and support are two different things though. Its going to be forever before either one shuts down PSN or XBLive on those devices (2020 or later)

But this is how I envision next gen.

PS5 launches November of 2018 at 400$

PS4 is at 200-250$

The PS5 will run on the same arch and be 100% BC with the PS4. Devs can make games on the PS4 and VERY easily port them to the PS5 or a PS5 game would be easy to port to the PS4 you would just need to lower resolution/aa/etc.

Very similar to the way Apple works actually, you have the cheaper PS4 for people who want a cheaper product and the PS5 for people who want the best and both are affordable and easy/cheap to support. MS is going to do the exact same thing with the One/Two? lol

Lifespan and support go hand-in-hand. You cannot have a lifespan without support. Having third party populate your console even without your first party is still support. Allowing Xbox Live to run on the 360 is still support. As long as it gives a people a reason not to buy Xbox Ones over 360's this means Microsoft is sufficiently supporting the consoles. Think about it....how many people continued to buy the PS2 and amazingly enough continued to buy it used even after the PS3 launched and Sony cut the chord?

As for the rest the logic with Sony seems to be that BC depends on what technology is running and the cost of said tech. If Sony wants to play the game of risk (which they cannot afford to do right now) they would leverage the PS5's losses off of the gains o the PS4, which would put them at a stalemate for profit until the parts costs drop after enough of the consoles sell to the masses over time. Its said that with all of the changes Sony as a whole corporation is set to turn a profit around 2017. 

Here is where I agree with you (In theory): 

-If the PS5 launches with BC it will be because the PS5 will continue to use Blu Ray discs that can hold up to 100GB's.

Here is the the downside (In theory):

If Sony launches a PS5 with a new format, BC is screwed. 

Nintendo can put BC into their consoles because they are always thinking about profit. They've always gone cheap on their hardware. The Wii U was a huge risk launching hardware ontop of hardware. It will be profitable in time though. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Lifespan and support go hand-in-hand. You cannot have a lifespan without support. Having third party populate your console even without your first party is still support. Allowing Xbox Live to run on the 360 is still support. As long as it gives a people a reason not to buy Xbox Ones over 360's this means Microsoft is sufficiently supporting the consoles. Think about it....how many people continued to buy the PS2 and amazingly enough continued to buy it used even after the PS3 launched and Sony cut the chord?

As for the rest the logic with Sony seems to be that BC depends on what technology is running and the cost of said tech. If Sony wants to play the game of risk (which they cannot afford to do right now) they would leverage the PS5's losses off of the gains o the PS4, which would put them at a stalemate for profit until the parts costs drop after enough of the consoles sell to the masses over time. Its said that with all of the changes Sony as a whole corporation is set to turn a profit around 2017. 

-If the PS5 launches with BC it will be because the PS5 will continue to use Blu Ray discs that can hold up to 100GB's.

I can 100% promise you the PS5 will not use any disc outside of BD. The PS5 is very likely to launch without any drive though. That is an X factor

rolltide101x said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I can 100% promise you the PS5 will not use any disc outside of BD. The PS5 is very likely to launch without any drive though. That is an X factor

Intriguing. We'll see. The BD association is going to need to profit more off of Blu Rays and as a disc based media isn't as popular as it used to be even though BD is king right now. We're moving closer and closer to a discless society and this is where EULA and DRM are king. This is exactly where Sony knows they are going, but Microsoft has always wanted us to be. 

In retrospect, I've never wanted consoles to go 100% into the console realm because it makes them lose what makes them special. The problem is sometimes the future is set when you've seen the climate and cannot be changed when you see the trajectory lands. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
rolltide101x said:

Intriguing. We'll see. The BD association is going to need to profit more off of Blu Rays and as a disc based media isn't as popular as it used to be even though BD is king right now. We're moving closer and closer to a discless society and this is where EULA and DRM are king. This is exactly where Sony knows they are going, but Microsoft has always wanted us to be. 

In retrospect, I've never wanted consoles to go 100% into the console realm because it makes them lose what makes them special. The problem is sometimes the future is set when you've seen the climate and cannot be changed when you see the trajectory lands. 

It is easier for Sony/MS/Nintendo to profit and they can control prices and cut out used game sales. If this does happen next gen they need to do a better job of putting out Sales. They do ok now but they need to do better.

There are anciently old games on the PSStore that are still full price.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
TheObserver said:

Retailers are a terrible way to judge the size of a console's library cause none of them carry the whole library of any console.

Also according to metacritic, Wii U library is very similar in size and critical reception to XBOX ONE. And XB1 and Wii U also have very similar hardware sales, I think you just shot your argument in the face due to ignorance.

Really?  Interesting.  Xbox one has sold 11.6m since launch (16 months) an average of 725k per month and WiiU has sold 9.3m since launch 26 months) an average of 357k.  So 725k per month v 357k per month.... yeah, thats very similar!?!?

Your thread and your thinking is flawed, shallow and biased.

You know what he meant. He meant LTD they are very similar not month by month. I agree with you but no need in insulting him over it.

kowenicki said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

People say Sony support their consoles better though....

and yet the 360 sold more in its 8th year than PS3 did

will sell more than PS3 did in its 9th year

and will sell more than thr PS3 did in its 10 year.

Weird huh?

Weird how the PS4 has the One nearly 2 to 1 and Sony still publishes games to the PS3 where MS does not to the 360.

When Xbox has a console that is not discounted until 13 years after its release you can talk :) 

kowenicki said:

er.... he was the one calling people "ignorant".

and if thats what he meant then it is flawed... OBVIOUSLY.

The sales of the PS4 were similar to the WiiU once too, but thats a nonsense way to look at it. 

The Xbox One install base is 33% higher despit being availbale for roughly half the time and averages 370k more per month on average... thats not similar sales on any metric or after any reasonable consideration.

Its bull.

I guess I can grant you that. He did call people who do not agree with him as ignorant. We are obviously going to be on different sides on this debate but you are correct on atleast that part

Samus Aran said:

Lot's of pro-bias Sony media as well (contrary to what some people on this site think).

Oh the irony.... Comments like this make me feel I'm wasting my time.

kowenicki said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

People say Sony support their consoles better though....

and yet the 360 sold more in its 8th year than PS3 did

will sell more than PS3 did in its 9th year

and will sell more than thr PS3 did in its 10 year.

Weird huh?

The PS3 outshipped the 360 in 2013. Every year before that it was cutting off Microsofts advances. At this point the consoles are pretty much even when regarding the cycle. Microsoft did what they set out to do and Sony saved their brand image by the end of the generation. Its as simple as that. 

Microsofts greatest asset against Sony from last gen to now is fourth quarter and it will always be fourth quarter. That has always been the game changer even when Sony has either advanced on them or dominated them since the 360 era.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/10/report-ps3-surpasses-xbox-360s-worldwide-shipped-total