By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii's WPB vs Xbox 360 RRoD. Double standard???

kingofwale said:
darconi said:
Yes, its exactly the same having one console that breaks down completely and becomes a brick which is guessed sometimes at ~30% vs another console who has trouble with just one game out of hundreds and has a much lower %.

but the result is the same, you will have to send it back for repair as soon as possible. Unless you don't plan to play SSBB you just bought or any of the future DL discs.

You can always spin the PRs, But it's unfair to be overly critical when Microsoft console has a problem and then show a completely different attitude when Nintendo console does.

That's all I'm saying.

Except that the RRoD is a design flaw problem and fundamentally the fault of the manufacturer, whereas the dusty lens issue (i.e. if you smoke) is a user caused problem.   

Around the Network
kingofwale said:

WPB: Won't Play Brawl.

Wii's WPB issue: Won't play Brawl, probably won't play any future double-layered disc games. You shouldn't attempt to fix it yourself. Can't return to retailer

Solution: Return it to Nintendo for free repair

Xbox RRoD: Won't play games, dead, You shouldn't attempt to fix it yourself. you shouldn't return it to retailer.

Solution: Return it to Microsoft for free repair

Now, I own neither console, but is it me or whenever RRoD issue comes up, people calls Microsoft all kind of name, while Nintendo seems to be getting away with all the bad PRs?

WPB only happens when your Wii has been kept in dusty or smokey conditions, and its occourcane is far less than 33 percent. On top of that, the Wii isn't bricked when it breaks, it just won't play a certain game. Finally, if your warrenty is out, the problem is easy to fix, with a cuetip and some rubbing alcohol.

So, there is a difference or two. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

darconi said:
kingofwale said:
darconi said:
Yes, its exactly the same having one console that breaks down completely and becomes a brick which is guessed sometimes at ~30% vs another console who has trouble with just one game out of hundreds and has a much lower %.

but the result is the same, you will have to send it back for repair as soon as possible. Unless you don't plan to play SSBB you just bought or any of the future DL discs.

You can always spin the PRs, But it's unfair to be overly critical when Microsoft console has a problem and then show a completely different attitude when Nintendo console does.

That's all I'm saying.

Except that the RRoD is a design flaw problem and fundamentally the fault of the manufacturer, whereas the dusty lens issue (i.e. if you smoke) is a user caused problem.

you do realize dusty lens isn't soley caused with smoking right? In fact, I'm actually very interested in seeing where you find that all Lens issue is caused by "user caused problem".

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Also, KoW, just fyi. Do you know how many units are affected by this "problem."

I sure don't. When we can't quantify it, we can't call it a significant malfunction. It may have even been fixed for the US release.

You don't know shit about it, neither do we, so that's why we can't fairly compare them.

/thread?

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

The difference is that the RROD problem has been going on for years now while this Brawl problem just occured. On this site, you will always find that Microsoft will fuel the hate and Nintendo will fuel the love. This is what happens when you gather a community consisting of former Gamecube owners and Melee lovers. I do however think that if many more games begin to go dual layer on Wii and this problem continues, that Nintendo will be getting a bit of hate for it. Just know, that in reality there are no perfectly designed consoles. Hardware problems have been rampant since the beginning and many people seem to forget that.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

Not only does it seem to be with only launch Wiis but not all of those are affected either. I bought a launch Wii and I was blasting through SSE and getting owned online at midnight.

Like others have said if you have kept your Wii in good condition and dust/smoke isn't a problem you should be fine.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Also, KoW, just fyi. Do you know how many units are affected by this "problem."

I sure don't. When we can't quantify it, we can't call it a significant malfunction. It may have even been fixed for the US release.

You don't know shit about it, neither do we, so that's why we can't fairly compare them.

/thread?

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/repair/repair_form_us_ssbb.jsp

Considering it's posted for US and Canadian resident, I don't think it's been fixed for US released.

I'm not comparing the number of units defected, I'm simply talking about the PR and user view of the issue. 

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
kingofwale said:

WPB: Won't Play Brawl.

Wii's WPB issue: Won't play Brawl, probably won't play any future double-layered disc games. You shouldn't attempt to fix it yourself. Can't return to retailer

Solution: Return it to Nintendo for free repair

Xbox RRoD: Won't play games, dead, You shouldn't attempt to fix it yourself. you shouldn't return it to retailer.

Solution: Return it to Microsoft for free repair

Now, I own neither console, but is it me or whenever RRoD issue comes up, people calls Microsoft all kind of name, while Nintendo seems to be getting away with all the bad PRs?

It's the fact like Nintendo owned up to it right away, and is repairing for free from the start.

kingofwale said:
darconi said:

you do realize dusty lens isn't soley caused with smoking right? In fact, I'm actually very interested in seeing where you find that all Lens issue is caused by "user caused problem".

Dusty lens are caused by dust/smoke getting into the system and covering up the lens.  If the wii wasn't stored in a heavily dusty location, its not a problem.  Excess dust is much more of a user caused problem than improper soldering or whatever the RRoD is caused by.  I'm interested to see where you find that all lens issues are manufacturing related problems as well.

>It's the fact like Nintendo owned up to it right away, and is repairing for free from the start.

I agree.

But since Microsoft is now owned up to it and provides 3 years against RRoD, does that mean people shouldn't be as harsh about RRoD anymore?

Trust me, nobody loves to trash Microsoft when it comes to hardware defects as me, but there is going to be a point where one goes too far with the same repetitive bashing.

selnor
Episode 2: