By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The official Windows 10 Launch Thread! Windows 10 launching July 29!!! Specs Revealed. Windows 10 versions announced!

Windows 10 is launching July 29!!!

Hell yes!!! 22 57.89%

YES!!! 2 5.26%

Yeah! 1 2.63%

That's nice 4 10.53%

Ok 2 5.26%

Not really excited 1 2.63%

Don't care 1 2.63%

Sticking to Windows 7 5 13.16%

BOOOOOO!!!!! 0 0%

Total:38
Vasto said:
-CraZed- said:
Just installed it as a dual boot option on my Surface pro 3. Initially a bit disorienting but liking some of the changes from 8/8.1. The multiple virtual desktops option is neat and being able to expand the start menu a la 8.1 or make it more like classic windows but with live tiles is pretty cool as well.

I'm liking it so far. Will most likely upgrade day 1

How is the Surface pro 3? It has climbed to the top of my wanted list.

It is a great device. I recently replaced my aging G71 with it. While it can't play games like my G71 could, it does everyday tasks just as aptly. I recently built a HTPC/Steam Machine and use my Surface to do in-home streaming through Steam. So it gets a lot of use daily.

It's lightweight, powerful, and does well in either tablet or dektop mode. Windows 8/8.1 does hold it back a bit and after tooling around in W10 I think W10 (once they get the tablet/desktop modes to automatically switch) will make it better. It's especially good for students who are great at using technology in the classroom. My wife takes notes (using her pen) and records her lectures at the same time then integrates them together. So each lecture has notes (and diagrams etc.) with the recording all in one place using One Note. It's really slick.

It's not perfect:

Battery life isn't the greatest

Strage space is limited (but you have a microSD slot and a usb 3.0 port to add space)

The keyboard is basically a requirement IMHO and costs extra

Those few hardware issues aside, it is a fabulous device and I'd recommend it if you are looking for the type of mobility and functionality these hybrid devices offer.

Around the Network

New poll of the week, and Redstone update announcement added.

super6646 said:

New poll of the week, and Redstone update announcement added.

Going to be posting more update's soon.

I had to pick ME because of the Ewww

In reality, probably XP.

Neodegenerate said:
I had to pick ME because of the Ewww

In reality, probably XP.

Lol.

Around the Network

Odd double post...

super6646 said:

(approved by conegamer)

Hello, welcome to the official windows thread. We're here to talk about windows. I'll be the leader of this thread, and there'll be a poll of the week, and maybe just maybe contests (it'll do with windows).

--------------------------------------------------

Leader: super6646

-------------------------------------------------

Introduction to Windows 10

Windows 10: Windows 10 is going to be a unified OS between PC's, tablets, phones, xbox, ect. It'll also be a free upgrade for a year for Windows 7 and 8 users. Windows 10 will reintroduce the start menu, and it'll also have an xbox app, where you'll be able to stream Xbox games. They'll be more announcements soon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hololense: Microsoft's first foray into AR technology, hololense will try to be what google glass wanted to be. If executed well, it could help makes strides in medicine research, science, and much more! The hololense will include a Nasa mars exploration app, a Minecraft app, and much more unannounced. We'll just hope it works out well. 

Cortana: Yup, your AI assistant in Halo 5 is back in Windows 10! Recently came out for Windows phone, it'll use Bing to search off the internet. Plus, it'll also please all her fans that miss her from Halo.

Windows news: 

Windows 10 will launch in the summer: Yup, hasn't happened since Windows 95 and 98, but Microsoft will be releasing its flagship OS in the summer, much earlier than the expected November or December release. Here's what CNET had to say: Microsoft plans a global launch this summer of Windows 10, complete with a new biometric authentication process intended to replace traditional passwords.

No specific date was given, but the company is committed to that midyear release for the operating system, Windows chief Terry Myerson said during a speech Tuesday at the Windows Hardware Engineering Community (WinHEC) summit in Shenzhen, China.

"We continue to make great development progress and shared today that Windows 10 will be available this summer in 190 countries and 111 languages," Myerson wrote in a blog post. "Windows has been global with more than 1.5 billion users around the world and here in China hundreds of millions of PCs operate Windows today."

Microsoft did not respond to a request for comment on a more definitive release date.

The company has lofty goals for the new operating system, its first big chance to move beyond the missteps of Windows 8. Microsoft has promised that Windows 10 -- a free upgrade for those usingWindows 7 or Windows 8.1 -- will run across every device, from desktops with large hard drives all the way down to low-cost smartphones with barely a gigabyte to spare.

Microsoft won't be alone in hoping for a warm reception for Windows 10. Sales of PCs to consumers and businesses alike have been anemic for quarter after quarter, and that has taken a toll on the companies that sell PCs or make key ingredients for them. Last week, chipmaker Intel slashed its quarterly revenue outlook by nearly $1 billion, reflecting an enduring reluctance, especially among small and midsize businesses, to upgrade from the 13-year-old Windows XP.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 10 "Redstone update do in 2016: There's a new Windows codename on the roadmap: "Redstone."

Brad Sams at Neowin unearthed the existence of the Redstone codename on April 7, calling it the "next Windows update coming in 2016." According to my sources, he's right.

Here's how to think about Redstone, based on what I'm hearing.

Windows 10, which was codenamed "Threshold," will be released this summer, Microsoft execs have said. My sources say there will be a minor update to Threshold some time this fall (which still will be known as "Threshold,"), in addition to the other, smaller regularly released fixes and updates that Microsoft will continue to provide before and after Windows 10 is released to manufacturing as part of its "Windows as a service" model.

Microsoft's current plan calls for a similar summer/fall release schedule for Windows next year. "Redstone" is the codename for those releases due in 2016. Redstone will not be "Windows 11" or "Windows 12." It will still likely be "Windows 10," I am hearing.

Redstone will be delivered automatically to Windows 10 users as part of their regular, every-month-or-so updates. Redstone will just be a larger update than the others and will provide new functionality and support for new classes of devices that aren't already part of Windows 10, so the supposed thinking goes.

Releasing regular updates to Windows 10 works well for things like Spartan (the new Windows 10 browser), messaging and the Start Menu -- things that increasingly are not part of the Windows core. But for deeper core work to support the devices building on top of Windows 10 -- things like Xbox Surface Hub, Windows Phone, and HoloLens -- sometimes bigger changes are needed that require bigger updates like Redstone.

Redstone also will be the vehicle for Windows core features that aren't going to make the cut in time to be included in Windows 10 this year.

Read this

Windows 10: Microsoft's last big splash OS, but will a drip, drip of updates suit firms better?

My sources say the Windows Insiders program will continue throughout the Threshold/Redstone development/delivery/deployment timeframe, meaning Microsoft will continue to provide early test builds of not just the monthly updates, but the larger updates to Windows 10, too, into next year, and possibly beyond.

I asked Microsoft officials for comment on Redstone. No word back so far. Update: A spokesperson said the OS team had nothing to share re: Redstone.

As Neowin's Sams pointed out, the "Redstone" codename comes from Minecraft, which Microsoft acquired when it bought Mojang last year. ("Threshold" was a codename from Microsoft's Halo franchise.) In Minecraft, Redstone is an element that can be used as the foundation for building new technologies.

---------------------------------------------------------------

New Windows phone 10 preivew out tomorrow: Yes, it's really been February since we last saw a Windows Phone technical preview update. So take heart—the next one’s due Friday.

Gabriel Aul, the head of the Windows Insider program and point man for Microsoft’s Windows 10 technical preview program, confirmed the launch on Twit.tv’s “Windows Weekly” —the show wasn’t available on-demand at press time—and again on Twitter. 

While Microsoft has dramatically increased the number of phones that Windows 10 preview supports, there’s a small piece of bad news: the Lumia Icon and its international variant, the 930, won’t be part of the update

MARK HACHMAN

The Windows 10 for phones preview Microsoft showed off in February included this new Settings screen (above) and the new Action Center (top).

Why this matters: As Microsoft nears the launch of Windows 10, the company is busy exposing the development process via its Windows 10 technical previews. Really, this is an even more critical process on the phone than the PC, given Microsoft's minuscule presence in the phone market. Let's hope this release makes a splash, for Microsoft's sake.

Still waiting for dramatic changes

The Windows 10 technical preview that Microsoft rolled out in February was somewhat underwhelming, although Microsoft nailed some of the features, including the improved Action Center that put a number of the more frequent shortcuts under the thumbs of the user. The most dramatic improvement was the speech recognition, which not only worked very well but also was deeply integrated into the operating system.

What we said then still holds true, however: Because phones lack any virtual machine capability, installing Windows 10 probably means installing it on your primary phone, a risky step. If you’re lucky enough to have a spare Windows Phone lying around, it’s a different matter. 

Aul didn’t disclose any of the features that could be expected in the new build—nor did he offer any hints of what Microsoft had planned for the BUILD conference at the end of the month. Tune in Friday, when we’ll download the new build and report on what features Microsoft has added to it. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 10 minimum specs have been revealed, you'll need 1 GB or 2 GB for the 32 and 64 bit versions. You'll also require a 1 GHz processor for the 32 bit version, and 2 GHz for the 64 bit. This means that specs have stayed the same since Windows 7. Windows 10 will be preloaded on all devices over 8 inches. For devices below 8 inches, you can still have Windows 10, but it'll require the proffesional version. As for windows phone, you'll require 512 MB of ram, the same as Windows Phone 8, meaning every Windows Phone can be upgraded. Are you excited for Windows 10?

------------------------------------------

Contest: Ok, contest is going to be a place where we predict things on Windows 10. Our first one will be the following: "What is the release date for Windows 10". I predict it'll be August 24, 2015. Now why, because I think it'll be to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Windows 95, the first OS that really pushed consumers into the PC market. Note once a date is chosen, no one else can. My vote won't count, but anyone else will. Just simply post what you think the date will be, and I'll put it here!

----------------------------------------

Poll of the week: What is your favorite version of Windows? I'll be having the choices above, choose wisely...

Just added a few updates.

New poll of the week added.

Running Win 10 Build 10041, it is really great and will finally replace Windows 7 :)

Will probably upgrade both my phone & tablet.