By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - OFFICIAL NX thread: Does Cloud confirm FF7 appearance on NX???

What's the name of the NX!?

Dolphin 17 8.17%

Fusion 113 54.33%

starbox 13 6.25%

Link 18 8.65%

gameslate 3 1.44%

pu 44 21.15%

Total:208
theprof00 said:
On top of which, there is nothing, NOTHING saying that they will share the entire library. The new *platform is being created to help with porting and crossover capability (which is in the OP), not to share everything.

Some devices will simply not be capable of delivering the experience that the other consoles are capable of. That is the entire point behind "NEW ways to play".

You can't play every game on wiiU on 3ds, because it's simply not possible. Likewise, there will be games on Nx that simply cannot be played on other hardware.

There probably would be some specific games, but I think the for the main "tentpole" Nintendo titles like Mario Kart, Mario 3D World/Land, Smash Brothers, Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Mario Party, 2D Mario, Fire Emblem, DKC, Pikmin ... Nintendo will now simply be able to make one version of the game with two graphical settings (one for portable and one for the home version) and be able to share them between both the handheld and home version. 

This can save a ton of development redundacy in their pipeline and will let them have a more seamless flow of games. Like for example the "Mario team" at EAD Tokyo can maybe work on a new Donkey Kong game or a new IP entirely rather than having to go from Mario 3D Land to Mario 3D World, because "well the handheld needs a 3D Mario, but we need one for the console too". So they're basically stuck working on the same thing for 3 1/2 years. 

Around the Network

Let me give an example of a famous GBA game called Boktai.
It used a light sensor (photometric) that could tell if there was natural light.
In order to charge up your character's weapon, you had to go outside in the sunlight.

This is an example of a unique gameplay that is impossible on other devices like wiiU, because you can't take your WiiU outside.
Another example would be a yugi-0 type game. Imagine that the Nx is a tablet and can hold your Amiibo cards. Such a game isn't physically possible on the 3ds.

Soundwave said:
se7en7thre3 said:

I asked this in a different thread but I'd like your take. We have been presuming "souped up" specs for a home version, party due to wish and mainly b/c it makes sense.  But what about a "NX tv", where its the exact same chip as HH, but a microconsole for a significantly cheaper price ($129-149).  If the HH is indeed launching at $250, it very well could be a 720p system.  Simply let the tv upscale 720 to 1080p, done.

Mobile chips can scale up and down fairly easily. 

Apple could throw three A8x processors (the iPad processor) into a box half the size of a Wii U and it would be more powerful than a Wii U if you gave it some eDRAM. 

Three Nvidia Tegra X1 processors (another mobile chip) in a small casing would you to XBox One level performance maybe even better. 

I meant in terms of cost - or a cheaper alternative.  Adding 3 chips will make it closer to $200.  

The NX tv example, would be akin to PS tv, which is pretty much a straight up Vita microconsole.

Soundwave said:
theprof00 said:
On top of which, there is nothing, NOTHING saying that they will share the entire library. The new *platform is being created to help with porting and crossover capability (which is in the OP), not to share everything.

Some devices will simply not be capable of delivering the experience that the other consoles are capable of. That is the entire point behind "NEW ways to play".

You can't play every game on wiiU on 3ds, because it's simply not possible. Likewise, there will be games on Nx that simply cannot be played on other hardware.

There probably would be some specific games, but I think the for the main "tentpole" Nintendo titles like Mario Kart, Mario 3D World/Land, Smash Brothers, Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Mario Party, 2D Mario, Fire Emblem, DKC, Pikmin ... Nintendo will now simply be able to make one version of the game with two graphical settings (one for portable and one for the home version) and be able to share them between both the handheld and home version. 

This save a ton of development redundacy in their pipeline and will let them have a more seamless flow of games. Like for example the "Mario team" at EAD Tokyo can maybe work on a new Donkey Kong game or a new IP entirely rather than having to go from Mario 3D Land to Mario 3D World, because "well the handheld needs a 3D Mario, but we need one for the console too". So they're basically stuck working on the same thing for 3 1/2 years. 

Of course. However,be sure to keep in mind Nintendo's new strategies as well. The Amiibo line and card line. The "quality of life" platform that Nintendo has been expanding upon.

Yes we will see those mainline franchises in the future, but we will also be seeing a lot of new ideas and crossovers and the like. Just look at their new Animal Crossing home designer. It's not an animal crossing game, it's a spinoff. Or the Hyrule Warriors spin off.Expect a lot ofthese kinds of "new ideas" to be central to their upcoming strategy including and beyond the Nx console.

theprof00 said:
It used a light sensor (photometric) that could tell if there was natural light.
In order to charge up your character's weapon, you had to go outside in the sunlight.

This is an example of a unique gameplay that is impossible on other devices like wiiU, because you can't take your WiiU outside.
Another example would be a yugi-0 type game. Imagine that the Nx is a tablet and can hold your Amiibo cards. Such a game isn't physically possible on the 3ds.

Sure, we may see a select few titles exclusive to each device kinda like how Xenoblade 3D is only on New 3DS but the overwhelming majority are likely to be playable on any form factor.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
se7en7thre3 said:
Soundwave said:

Mobile chips can scale up and down fairly easily. 

Apple could throw three A8x processors (the iPad processor) into a box half the size of a Wii U and it would be more powerful than a Wii U if you gave it some eDRAM. 

Three Nvidia Tegra X1 processors (another mobile chip) in a small casing would you to XBox One level performance maybe even better. 

I meant in terms of cost - or a cheaper alternative.  Adding 3 chips will make it closer to $200.  

The NX tv example, would be akin to PS tv, which is pretty much a straight up Vita microconsole.

The Apple chip is only $20 a pop, I think people underestimate how cheap the actual hardware is. It's things like high quality LCD displays and huge profit margins that make the iPad expensive for example. 

Beyond that though I don't think Nintendo is interested in a purely "NX TV" type concept. They still want people to buy both, so making the graphics 1080P with some extra visual effects on the home version + a gimmick controller for "living room family fun!" is probably the approach Nintendo would take. I mean yes they want to have the shared library (primarily) but I think Nintendo still wants some uniquness is their hardware variants too. 

Because being able to play your portable games on the TV alone as the only sales hook isn't much of a sales hook. 

I think Miyamoto wants one more kick at the can at trying to create another break-out concept hit for Nintendo too, this probably will be the last hardware cycle that he will be primarily involved with. This could be his last shot at creating something new like the N64 or Wii were. 

RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:

The only thing people don't seem to understand is terminology. That's why you two are getting confused. Nx is not a platform. Nx is a device on a platform. This platform seeks to integrate the software eco-system. Nx is the first piece of hardware to kick-off this ecosystem.

Let's just say the eco-system is called "Club Nintendo".

Therefore, the new systems coming out in the future are "Club Nintendo console", "Club nintendo Handheld", and "Club Nintendo NX". Not "Nx console", "Nx Handheld", "Nx portable".

The upcoming unified account system (which is the starting point of the new Nintendo ecosystem) is supposed to launch this fall, but NX won't come before late 2016. So NX won't kick off this ecosystem, it will merely be the first piece of Nintendo hardware that will benefit from the new ecosystem from the get-go.

While this is true, Miyamoto specifically said that they wouldn't be absorbing the WiiU architecture entirely. They said they would deal with it "adequately". What this means is anyone's guess, but if it were mine, I'd say that the WiiU is only a silent participant.

I do believe that the centralized account will be available for all the current systems, but I'm uncertain as to how far these current systems will be able to participate. I don't think that the Nx is going to that compatible with the WiiU. I think Nx is going to be the first of a new architecture, with successive consoles adapting the same.

I agree with your post about WiiU virtual console though. I think that is going to be the extent of the WiiU involvement, however.

Those exemples you gave, theprof00, reveal that the shared library strategy also has it's flaws.
But how many games actually support something like that? How many Nintendo games actually did something like that?

The next handheld could very well keep Streetpass and 3D.
That's why it's important for Nintendo to sell not two consoles with a shared library, but an ecosystem where you can find the very best experience.

Also, it doesn't mean that a title releasing only on one of the consoles, it's out of the question.

zorg1000 said:
theprof00 said:

Sure, we may see a select few titles exclusive to each device kinda like how Xenoblade 3D is only on New 3DS but the overwhelming majority are likely to be playable on any form factor.

Like Soundwave said, I don't believe that a home console specifically for the use of 'playing another console's games on your tv' is much aof a strategy at all. And niether is playing your console games on the go. (Vita, anyone?)

Nintendo's success in the future will rely on being able to create new gameplay experiences through the marriage of software and hardware. This is a direct quote from Iwata.

DélioPT said:
Those exemples you gave, theprof00, reveal that the shared library strategy also has it's flaws.
But how many games actually support something like that? How many Nintendo games actually did something like that?

The next handheld could very well keep Streetpass and 3D.
That's why it's important for Nintendo to sell not two consoles with a shared library, but an ecosystem where you can find the very best experience.

Also, it doesn't mean that a title releasing only on one of the consoles, it's out of the question.

If we think about their software library as only the core titles, then yeah, it would seem like not many games at all use it. However, they are making an effort to merge software with hardware. I mean like, 90% of titles on wii can't be played on the ds or 3ds...you know? We think of Nintendo as these core franchises that yeah, they could be played on anything with a dpad and buttons. But that is not the reality of nintendo, because we are core gamers on vgc, and we are only thinking of core franchises.