By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - OFFICIAL NX thread: Does Cloud confirm FF7 appearance on NX???

What's the name of the NX!?

Dolphin 17 8.17%

Fusion 113 54.33%

starbox 13 6.25%

Link 18 8.65%

gameslate 3 1.44%

pu 44 21.15%

Total:208

I'm expecting a unified platform based on mobile components.

The home console will have a gimmick-controller that will be cheaper than the Wii U tablet to differniate it. Nintendo will bet again on the "new way to play" thing and hopes it takes off.

That and going forward they'll now be able to make one version of Mario 3D World/Land, Mario Kart, Smash, Animal Crossing, Zelda, etc. and it'll be able to play on both devices with some resolution/graphical effect differences (much like a PC game scales up and down). 

Nintendo I think has given up with competing directly with Sony/MS in the console space. They will try one more time with the "we're different" approach, and it will be low risk for them since the console NX will share the handheld chipset, just souped up (much like Wii was the GameCube chip souped up).

If it works great, if it doesn't then Nintendo won't have a costly failure of a console on their hands. But the emphasis by Iwata and Miyamoto on saying things like "new ways to play" and "traditional console upgrades are boring" is a dead ringer for "we're making another gimmick console". For their sake, hopefully it works better this time than the Wii U did. 

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
theprof00 said:
Nintendo has spoken repeatedly (and vaguely) about the importance of their "hardware-software integrated platform business" in the past, but only recently did they start addressing the specific problems they seemed to be overlooking within that very paradigm: the fact that they have relatively self-contained ecosystems on, say, the Wii U and 3DS. In another investor Q&A—this one translated and published last month (via GameSpot)—Iwata said that in the future he wants handhelds and other gaming consoles to be "like brothers in a family of systems." Previously, Iwata explained, Nintendo had come up with "completely different architectures" for its different gaming systems, which leads to "divergent methods" for software development in turn.

Iwata added that the fraternal-like bonds will only truly be achievable in the next generation, saying: "While we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture."

Does this mean its curtains for the Wii U in the near future? Not exactly, but Iwata's comments did make it sound like Nintendo is already setting its sights somewhere above and beyond its current two systems. "It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U," Iwata continued in his comment to investors, "but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately."

"if you have a more unified development environment and you're able to make one game that runs on both systems instead of having to make a game for each system, that's an area of opportunity for us."

That's a recent statement from Miyamoto.

What are you trying to prove here?
Your previous statement was that Nintendo was going to go with a "line of devices", and then post this quote? It doesn't back up what you're saying.

Let me rewind for a minute here and remind both you and Rol that I'm not saying there won't be cross-buy or cross-play. In fact, right in the OP, part of my supporting evidence says "crossover strategy" and uses recent examples of cross buy and crossplay.

Additionally, it is I, not you, who has said that the future is going to encompass all their platforms.

What I am arguing against, is the idea that there will be a line of devices like:

WiiU
WiiUHD
WiiTheater
3DS watch
Nx elite
Nx core
1ds

Because the above has been speculated on vgc already.

Furthermore, Nx is not a unified platform. You have to understand that Nintendo uses the word platform as more similar to the word eco-system. And they use the word device in terms of hardware. Nx is a DEVICE which will encompass the new PLATFORM that Nintendo is pursuing. This includes a unified architecture (in the future) for future devices (like the next home console and portable) to allow for things like crossbuy and crossplay. Amiibo is also described by Nintendo as a Platform, just fyi.

You guys keep calling Nx a platform, or a "line of devices".

Simply put, Nx is the codename for a DEVICE. A single device.

What you're talking about is the successor to club nintendo, which is a platform.
Take for example, Android.
Let's say Android and smartphones didn't exist, and Google was like, "we are releasing a new device, codenamed 'ice-cream sandwich'. It is a new kind of phone that does a lot more than current phones and allows for unique ways to use a mobile device. With it, we are also releasing a store in which you can download applications  that in the future will be accessible by any device connected to the platform."

Speculation on there being 'more than one Nx' is like speculating that there is all different kinds of 'ice-cream sandwiches'.  It's like, "duh, of course there is going to be more devices connected to this platform. That is a given, seeing as how they said "accessible by any device"". Ice-cream sandwich is not a platform for crossbuy. It is a device ON a platform called GooglePlayStore, on an operating system called "android", with multiple devices based on the same architecture.

Soundwave said:

Nintendo I think has given up with competing directly with Sony/MS in the console space. They will try one more time with the "we're different" approach, and it will be low risk for them since the console NX will share the handheld chipset, just souped up (much like Wii was the GameCube chip souped up).

I asked this in a different thread but I'd like your take. We have been presuming "souped up" specs for a home version, party due to wish and mainly b/c it makes sense.  But what about a "NX tv", where its the exact same chip as HH, but a microconsole for a significantly cheaper price ($129-149).  If the HH is indeed launching at $250, it very well could be a 720p system.  Simply let the tv upscale 720 to 1080p, done.

theprof00 said:
zorg1000 said:

"if you have a more unified development environment and you're able to make one game that runs on both systems instead of having to make a game for each system, that's an area of opportunity for us."

That's a recent statement from Miyamoto.

What are you trying to prove here?
Your previous statement was that Nintendo was going to go with a "line of devices", and then post this quote? It doesn't back up what you're saying.

Let me rewind for a minute here and remind both you and Rol that I'm not saying there won't be cross-buy or cross-play. In fact, right in the OP, part of my supporting evidence says "crossover strategy" and uses recent examples of cross buy and crossplay.

Additionally, it is I, not you, who has said that the future is going to encompass all their platforms.

What I am arguing against, is the idea that there will be a line of devices like:

WiiU
WiiUHD
WiiTheater
3DS watch
Nx elite
Nx core
1ds

Because the above has been speculated on vgc already.

Furthermore, Nx is not a unified platform. You have to understand that Nintendo uses the word platform as more similar to the word eco-system. And they use the word device in terms of hardware. Nx is a DEVICE which will encompass the new PLATFORM that Nintendo is pursuing. This includes a unified architecture (in the future) for future devices (like the next home console and portable) to allow for things like crossbuy and crossplay. Amiibo is also described by Nintendo as a Platform, just fyi.

A line of devices meaning 2-3 separate devices that share a software library, an example I have used multiple times is this

NX Portable-300 gflop, 2gb RAM

NX Console-1.2 tflop, 8gb RAM

They share the same software library just at different resolutions/graphic settings

Here's a quote from a Shin'en developer (they have worked with Nintendo on multiple games) that thinks this is a possibility.

Manfred Linzer — Shin’en Games  (Nano Assault Neo, Art of Balance, FAST Racing Neo)

“First of all, we think it would be wise to unify the mobile and console platforms. There was already some talk about that from Mr. Miyamoto, and it would be certainly a step into the right direction. Of course mobile chip-sets can’t compete with desktop chips in terms of bandwidth, but already by simply using a lower resolution for mobile than on desktops, it could make it happen. Using 480p compared to 1080p means already nearly 80% bandwidth reduction.

A priority for a new handheld should be a GPU on par with the Wii U GPU, in terms of capabilities, but not necessarily bandwidth. Also its’ multicore setup would make sense on handheld platforms. This would already allow Mario Kart 8 or Nano Assault Neo visuals on a handheld, which would make everyone pretty happy I guess. More important than GPU and CPU specs would be a new form factor. Merging physical and touch controls into something unique and exciting is something that we would love to see from Nintendo.”

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

RolStoppable said:
Your arguments are poorly formulated, prof. That's why nobody knows what's going on anymore.

The only thing people don't seem to understand is terminology. That's why you two are getting confused. Nx is not a platform. Nx is a device on a platform. This platform seeks to integrate the software eco-system. Nx is the first piece of hardware to kick-off this ecosystem.

Let's just say the eco-system is called "Club Nintendo".

Therefore, the new systems coming out in the future are "Club Nintendo console", "Club nintendo Handheld", and "Club Nintendo NX". Not "Nx console", "Nx Handheld", "Nx portable".

EDIT: And in no way does it reinforce a dual hardware release strategy. The most likely thing is exactly what they said it was. A new device which incorporates the WiiU architecture and creates NEW ways to play with a NEW concept.

Thinking that the Nx is simply a device in a line of similar hardware is mainstream thinking. That is how Microsoft and Sony thinks, not Nintendo. A new line of consoles under the New Platform Club Nintendo that simply do the same thing the other consoles do at a different resolution is a red ocean strategy.

Around the Network

^forgot about that Shin'en quote, thanks for that Zorg.

If Nintendo really wants to recover financially, keep making their dedicated gaming devices and actually attract 3rd parties and core gamers, then it's no longer a question if Nintendo will unify their gaming library, it's a really a must.

Financially, there's no better decision.

Although, R&D will have to exist separately, everything else turns into one budget: one budget for two releases and one marketing budget for two releases.

Game wise, one game that starts as a home console game and gets "ported" to the handheld, not only allows Nintendo to make a profit on the 60$ price tag, but also on the 40$ price tag, A 40$ price tag that only has to cover for the usual retailer fee and the costs of said "port".
If you invert the roles, then Nintendo will get extra profits on a 60$ price tag.
It's not exactly like this, but you get the point.
In the end it's more money per project for Nintendo.

We have seen over time how gamers have abandoned Nintendo.
Nintendo's strategy and content offered simply does not resonate with them as Sony and MS'...

It's only natural. Both Nintendo and Sony and MS target diffrent markets.
The problem is that consumers clearly want what MS and Sony have to offer and 3rd parties offer that type of content.

So, how can Nintendo attract those consumers and help create a market for 3rd parties?
You have got to get the games that they want and the strategy (HW parity, core gamer focus, etc.) that 3rd parties need.
That's really the only way for Nintendo.

Unfortunately, Nintendo has to support 2 consoles and not one. Therefore Nintendo will never, ever, have the necessary staff to develop projects on a constant basis to appeal to MS and Sony fans.
And if that happens, you can forget lasting, meaningful 3rd party support. No market = no product.

If Nintendo streamlines their internal production not only can they fill their consoles with games, they can actually have the manpower, time and money for bigger and bolder projects.
Imagine a console that has all the best Nintendo franchises you know, older franchises you thought you'd never see again and then the other side to Nintendo: it's own Halo, it's own Gears of War, it's own Gran Turismo, it's own Uncharted, it's own MMO (Destiny), etc.

A balanced, diverse, library will do wonders for Nintendo.

se7en7thre3 said:
^forgot about that Shin'en quote, thanks for that Zorg.

No problem buddy

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

se7en7thre3 said:
Soundwave said:

I asked this in a different thread but I'd like your take. We have been presuming "souped up" specs for a home version, party due to wish and mainly b/c it makes sense.  But what about a "NX tv", where its the exact same chip as HH, but a microconsole for a significantly cheaper price ($129-149).  If the HH is indeed launching at $250, it very well could be a 720p system.  Simply let the tv upscale 720 to 1080p, done.

Mobile chips can scale up and down fairly easily. 

Apple could throw three A8x processors (the iPad processor) into a box half the size of a Wii U and it would be more powerful than a Wii U if you gave it some eDRAM. 

Three Nvidia Tegra X1 processors (another mobile chip) in a small casing would you to XBox One level performance maybe even better. 

On top of which, there is nothing, NOTHING saying that they will share the entire library. The new *platform is being created to help with porting and crossover capability (which is in the OP), not to share everything.

Some devices will simply not be capable of delivering the experience that the other consoles are capable of. That is the entire point behind "NEW ways to play".

You can't play every game on wiiU on 3ds, because it's simply not possible. Likewise, there will be games on Nx that simply cannot be played on other hardware.