By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - OFFICIAL NX thread: Does Cloud confirm FF7 appearance on NX???

What's the name of the NX!?

Dolphin 17 8.17%

Fusion 113 54.33%

starbox 13 6.25%

Link 18 8.65%

gameslate 3 1.44%

pu 44 21.15%

Total:208
Darwinianevolution said:
JEMC said:

@Darwinianevolution: It's true that Take 2 hasn't launched anything on Wii U, but they supported the Wii. Remember Carnival Games?... Ok, and how about Bully?

I know, but we have Carnival Games, one of many, many, many shovelware the Wii got during its lifespam, and Bully, a PS2 port that, while welcomed, was nothing new. Welcomed, yes, and Manhunt 2 too. But they released very early on and really did nothing new. They could have released one of those PSP games on the Wii, it was a thing for a while. GTA Liberty City Stories, or Vice City Stories would have been welcomed on a platform with very little PG18 content.

I'll guess that Bully (I won't comment on Manhunt given all the problems it had before and after launch) didn't perform as good as they thought and decided that Wii wasn't a viable platform for their mature games. And if Wii wasn't, Wii U with its lower sales would be even worse.

I'm not trying to defend them, just explaining what could have happened.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Darwinianevolution said:
JEMC said:

@Darwinianevolution: It's true that Take 2 hasn't launched anything on Wii U, but they supported the Wii. Remember Carnival Games?... Ok, and how about Bully?

I know, but we have Carnival Games, one of many, many, many shovelware the Wii got during its lifespam, and Bully, a PS2 port that, while welcomed, was nothing new. Welcomed, yes, and Manhunt 2 too. But they released very early on and really did nothing new. They could have released one of those PSP games on the Wii, it was a thing for a while. GTA Liberty City Stories, or Vice City Stories would have been welcomed on a platform with very little PG18 content.

I would think that Bully (I won't comment on Manhunt given all the problems it had before and after launch) didn't perform as good as they thought and decided that Wii wasn't a viable platform for their mature games.

That's also part of the problem. In next gen, either Nintendo manages to sell their console to people that buy multiplat, or they get their existing userbase to buy multiplat. If not, they won't have the means to attract the big market Microsoft and Sony have, and they are going to be stuck with their actual userbase (at least if they don't pull a Move&Touch generation and bring the mobile crowd to their system once again).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
JEMC said:
Darwinianevolution said:
JEMC said:

I would think that Bully (I won't comment on Manhunt given all the problems it had before and after launch) didn't perform as good as they thought and decided that Wii wasn't a viable platform for their mature games.

That's also part of the problem. In next gen, either Nintendo manages to sell their console to people that buy multiplat, or they get their existing userbase to buy multiplat. If not, they won't have the means to attract the big market Microsoft and Sony have, and they are going to be stuck with their actual userbase (at least if they don't pull a Move&Touch generation and bring the mobile crowd to their system once again).

That's a completely different problem.

In my opinion, most users of Nintendo consoles already have more than one system with either a second console or a gaming PC, so Nintendo already has the audience that buys multiplats, it's just that they have grown used to buy those games on the other system. And to make those users change their mind and buy those games on PC they need to have a console that offers the same experience (that means graphics, DLCs, etc.) and at the same time.

And that, nowadays, means a console as powerful as PS4 or a little bit more (to make ports both easier and cheaper) which brings us to a problem. If the console is as powerful as a PS4, what will happen with the handheld that will supposedly play the same games at lower settings?

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

In the end, it's doubtful that Nintendo uses it with their first party titles because they will use their own engines and better API, but they could use it with their development kits to make life easier with third parties and indies.

Their "better (Graphics) API" could be based on Vulcan. I don't think they are in just for 3rd party cred.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

FunFan said:
JEMC said:

In the end, it's doubtful that Nintendo uses it with their first party titles because they will use their own engines and better API, but they could use it with their development kits to make life easier with third parties and indies.

Their "better (Graphics) API" could be based on Vulcan. I don't think they are just in for 3rd party cred.

Yes, it could be.

Maybe (and this is just a wild speculation) it's a sign that they are going to use an x86 processor and, because of their lack of experience with those kind of processors, they need help and Vulkan is the best place to find it (that could also explain why they have become Contributors, to get a better access to everything involved in that API).

But it's only one of the many things that can be.

Around the Network
shenlong213 said:

From now I will daily update new information about NX on this topic, everyone should read the first post to see anything we know about NX so far

Great vid. My hopes for FFXV and FFVII remake on NX just got a little brighter

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

JEMC said:

Yes, it could be.

Maybe (and this is just a wild speculation) it's a sign that they are going to use an x86 processor and, because of their lack of experience with those kind of processors, they need help and Vulkan is the best place to find it (that could also explain why they have become Contributors, to get a better access to everything involved in that API).

But it's only one of the many things that can be.

If Vulcan is as harware agnostic as OpenGL, I fail to see the correlation between it and x86. I doubt its CPU utilisation features are exclusive to one cpu architecture given that the point of a group like Khronos would be, in part, to make the API as open and compatible as posible.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

JEMC said:
DélioPT said:
Where was i that i didn't know about this Khronos thing?

Industry leading chips rings a bell?

Supporting Vulkan doesn't translate to "industry leading chips". Vulkan will be an API just like DX 12.

Nintendo already supported OpenGL (the API that will be replaced by Vulkan) with its consoles, it's just that now they have expanded their involvement in the Khronos group to become a Contributor, something that will allow them to make better use of it.

Oh, ok.
Still, a very good solution for 3rd parties and possibly smaller Nintendo games (to not develop engines on purpose).

I didn't knew about this Vulkan news, does it mean the NX will likely have a good hardware (at least something like the XB1)?

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:
I didn't knew about this Vulkan news, does it mean the NX will likely have a good hardware (at least something like the XB1)?

Nope, but at least they will have better application programming interfaces (API) for handling tasks related to multimedia, especially games and play video

NNID : ShenlongDK
PSN : DarkLong213